Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

215 75 R15 BFG All Terrains
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to be precise for gearing purposes, look at the rev/mile numbers for both exact tires. That is the gearing data point, not some nebulous "diameter". And using most "tire calculator" programs yields results that are inaccurate because they make false assumptions.

Mark

turbo2cv wrote:
How did you get to BFG A/T's 215 75 R15 being 9% taller than stock? I get 6.78% taller than stock, a assuming aspect ratio of stock 185R14 is 82
http://www.gomog.com/allmorgan/tyreconversionchart.html

185r14 is 185/82r14 : diameter 25.94
215/75r15: diameter 27.7

27.7/25.94 -1 = 6.78%
Hammy1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They fit fine with my 1985 two wheel drive, no rubbing at all. Because of the sagging springs I did add 1" of cutting board to the rear. I have had for a summer and put approx. 6000kms on it. I didn't notice the loss of power since the van is/was already gutless. Instead of running a 27 second 1/4 mile drag it might now be a 30 second 1/4 mile Laughing

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Cbarney10
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anybody try the general grabber at2 in 205/75/15? I think it has 778 revs per mile..

Looking for a 15" that won't rub or rob me of horses
Farfrumwork
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^ that is an option as it yields a ~27.5" tire (205/75/15). But that size AT2 is not snow rated.

There is also the new BFG, which will be available sometime soon(?) in a 215/65/16 (16" wheel though, not 15")

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=B...mpare1=yes

That is a ~27" tire (and D load rated).

These are the 2 tires (and wheel) sizes I am considering as well. I LOVE the big tire look, but I have talked myself off the ledge with 28" tires as I don't want to loose ANY power as I live and drive around the rocky mountains.... and it the van is good as-is power wise with my 27" grabbers (14" alloys). Even with a EJ2.5 - the power is just adequate and comfortable. If I had a 3.0l six I would go to a 215/70/16 (28").

The new BFG is on top of my list: same 27" I have today, better load rating, tougher sidewall construction, and the 16" wheel will allow bigger brakes. And I could just maybe fit one in the stock clamshell (like my current 27")

"Blood stains, speed kills - Fast cars, cheap thrills - Rich girls, fine wine - I've lost my sense, I've lost control, I've lost my mind"
Rico Suave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cbarney10 wrote:
Anybody try the general grabber at2 in 205/75/15? I think it has 778 revs per mile..

Looking for a 15" that won't rub or rob me of horses

That is what I have on my '82 air-cooled. It was a toss up between that and the 215. Glad I stayed with 205.

According to the general tire website the 205 is M/S rated, the 215 is not.
SpudlyHotPotato
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Farfrumwork wrote:
^^ that is an option as it yields a ~27.5" tire (205/75/15). But that size AT2 is not snow rated.

There is also the new BFG, which will be available sometime soon(?) in a 215/65/16 (16" wheel though, not 15")

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=B...mpare1=yes

That is a ~27" tire (and D load rated).

These are the 2 tires (and wheel) sizes I am considering as well. I LOVE the big tire look, but I have talked myself off the ledge with 28" tires as I don't want to loose ANY power as I live and drive around the rocky mountains.... and it the van is good as-is power wise with my 27" grabbers (14" alloys). Even with a EJ2.5 - the power is just adequate and comfortable. If I had a 3.0l six I would go to a 215/70/16 (28").

The new BFG is on top of my list: same 27" I have today, better load rating, tougher sidewall construction, and the 16" wheel will allow bigger brakes. And I could just maybe fit one in the stock clamshell (like my current 27")

It's possible to fit a 27" into the stock clamshell? This would be incredible. We have a 2wd stock engine 1985 with MBZ CLK 16" wheels. Its Michelin Hydroedges have seen better days. With sidewalls cracking and the desire to actually drive somewhere, it's time to replace our tires. Those BFGs are the ones I'm looking at.

I was thinking that we haven't had a way to store a spare and that I'd have to buy a rear-mounted swing-away spare tire carrier. How did you get the spare to fit, did you have to make any alterations to the clamshell for it to fit?

"Those things are over kill and I want a set" - Jedi

"All my work explores the human desire or obsession for utopias, and the structure of all my works is the search for utopias lost and rediscovered." - Marguerite Young

www.bewilderknits.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Farfrumwork
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Spudly,

Yep, my 27" tire set fit with minimal effort.

14" alloys (or stock 14" steels) - Not sure how a 16" wheel would affect the fit
27" Grabber AT2

You need a 86+ clamshell (the older clamshell is shallower)
Pull out the compression rods that 'hold' the stock tire down (they just slide out)
The compression rods hold the clamshell to the frame at the rear, this will be replaced by bolts... I used smallish diameter bolts to allow the most 'droop' at the rear of the clamshell

I added a single washer between the clamshell 'lip' and the frame rail to space the front of the shell (and allow a tiny bit of droop)

there can be a slight interference with the steering rod as it rotates, but it's very slight (Burley sells a steel arm that holds the tire away (creates a pocket for the steering rod) if it is an issue)

I carried mine fully inflated. I have 4+ years on the setup now, but have recently gone with 16" mefro's and 215/70/16 (28") tires so a rear spare carrier is waiting to be installed this weekend! (despite my proclamation of NOT going to 28" wheels.... here I am!)

"Blood stains, speed kills - Fast cars, cheap thrills - Rich girls, fine wine - I've lost my sense, I've lost control, I've lost my mind"
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: