Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Starter Bushing
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
biggreen1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all for the info. That's quite a difference in teeth between the two. Is the manual flywheel about the same diameter with smaller teeth? I've got a auto starter coming on Monday. I'll count the teeth on the flywheel before I put it in. BG1
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is a "Manual Flywheel"????

Maybe you mean standard stick shift flywheel. Which come in 6 and 12 volt flavors, see previous post.

Last edited by Eric&Barb on Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Auto stick (see type 1 post-1967 literature on this website). Used a self supporting starter which has both bushings inside the starter. This self supporting starter was 12 volt and geared as such.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

There is a rather hard to find 6 volt self supporting starter that came out in the early 1960s, and was geared for such.
biggreen1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:

Maybe you mean standard stick shift flywheel. Which come in 6 and 12 volt flavors, see previous post.

Yea, funny. I appreciate the advice/info so I'm ok with the attitude. Thanks, bg1
Harris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 5:46 am    Post subject: Starter Bushing Reply with quote

GA Boy wrote:

Quote:
If you have a 6 volt starter use a 1/2" x 13 TAP to screw into the bushing to remove it.
If you have a 12 volt starter use a 7/16 x 14 TAP.

Worked perfectly on my 6 volt. Been a long time since I've done one and the tap idea is indeed a piece of cake. Thanks

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
crvc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RedHouse wrote:
I'm going to need to buy one next week. Is there 12V autostick starters.

Guessing 1967 and up.

Tried to lookup at auto parts websites but no luck.
Need to stop by the store soon.

CIP1 has them. They cost a lot more than a standard starter.

crvc
gti72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have a problem with my bushing i just bought a new starter,get the old bushing off the tranny and when i m trying to put the new one it looks like its a little bit to big!!!!i cannot put it in the hole to tight very to big!!!!!!
gti72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have a problem with my bushing i just bought a new starter,get the old bushing off the tranny and when i m trying to put the new one it looks like its a little bit to big!!!!i cannot put it in the hole to tight very to big!!!!!!
Pogel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 1:29 pm    Post subject: Starter bushing change with engine in Reply with quote

Today I undid the four engine bolts and the rear engine tin, then just slid the engine back an inch or two. Then I was able to hit out the bushing from the starter (front) side, then tap in a new bushing. Done on a '66 Bug.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Canadian VW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GA_Boy wrote:
As 64vdub said, no need to pull the engine. Just pull the starter and anything else in the way (Heater tubes).
If you have a 6 volt starter use a 1/2" x 13 TAP to screw into the bushing to remove it.
If you have a 12 volt starter use a 7/16 x 14 TAP.
If you have a tranny from a 6 volt car but have a 12volt starter it will have a conversion bushing and that takes a 7/16 x 14 TAP also.
Basically it's a piece of cake with no icing. Wink
Marvin

This saved me so much frustration. 7/16" tap worked beautifully. 67 Beetle 12V

Samba 67 Beetle build thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=607949&highlight=
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

biggreen1 wrote:
Eric&Barb wrote:

Yea, funny. I appreciate the advice/info so I'm ok with the attitude. Thanks, bg1

Attitude was just confusion. Would be like you saying you only wear manual underwear.
Rixwagn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:51 am    Post subject: Re: Starter Bushing Reply with quote

Hey guys, after installing the new bushing do you grease/lube the starter portion (the nub) that goes into the bushing or leave it dry? I've already installed my starter and it works fine. If grease is needed I don't mind pulling he start to do so, thanks!

I can't find any info on this elsewhere.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:57 am    Post subject: Re: Starter Bushing Reply with quote

Rixwagn wrote:
Hey guys, after installing the new bushing do you grease/lube the starter portion (the nub) that goes into the bushing or leave it dry? I've already installed my starter and it works fine. If grease is needed I don't mind pulling he start to do so, thanks!

I can't find any info on this elsewhere.

Supposed to soak the bushing in oil. The bronze it is made of is porous, so needs oil in those holes. If you did not do that, use a Q-tip to slather in some oil inside of it now.

Does not hurt to also grease the starter armature shaft bearing area.
Rixwagn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Starter Bushing Reply with quote

Good to know, thanks! I'll pull it and add a little oil to both areas. Smile
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Starter Bushing Reply with quote

I've been running an autostick starter in my bug for years. IDK why anyone messes with a bushing in a 12v system. Like 40 bucks. I think I ordered one for a 70ish 1600 autostick.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Starter Bushing Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
Does not hurt to also grease the starter armature shaft bearing area.

Also OK to put some grease on flywheel teeth and starter gear teeth.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
herbie1200
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:37 am    Post subject: Re: Starter Bushing Reply with quote

I never put grease on the flywheel ring, centrifugal force should throw it away in a couple of seconds.

Greased only the internal of starter bushing.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: