Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Collapsible Steering Column
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
peterj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:22 am    Post subject: Collapsible Steering Column Reply with quote

One of the sellers here on the Samba had an ad, pictures and all , of a "1967 Bug Steering Column" I bought it and the gentleman sent me a 68 and later collapsible column.
My question is other than the collapsible section is there any other difference and will this column fit an earlier bug without modification.
He has been non responsive to my emails and before taking it to the next level I was curious as to if the part would even fit. I don't currently have access to the body to try and fit it.
drscope
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm 99% certain it will work. Do you have your old non-collapsable shaft to compare it with?
panicman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know people have used those later collapsable columns for safety on earlier cars that get driven quite a bit, so it has been and can be done. Having not done it myself, I don't know what other modifications might need to be made. It is not a bad idea though, espcially if the car will be driven. Do a thread search here, and you may turn up a whole conversation on the subject.

Did you search the sellers feedback? He is committing some sins here; he sold you the wrong part, and he won't respond to your emails. I'd be getting hot, too.
panicman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a moment.... Here is info on the topic:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=338799&highlight=converting+steering+column

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=321291&highlight=steering+column

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=153082&highlight=steering+column
peterj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the search Panic. It appears the both ends of the assembly are the same as a pre 68 solid shaft so it will bolt to the steering box and the og wheel will fit. Just have to seen if my turn signal switch fits the mast collar.
As for the seller he has about 17 pages of feedback and 3 or 4 people appear to have had a similar " bait and switch" experience.
We are all human and mistakes happen , at least own up to it and work with your customer.
Todd66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW, I tried this on my 66 (68 shaft). It seemed to work and was easy until I installed the gas tank. The collapsable part of the shaft would rub ever so slightly on the under side of the tank and consequently the horn would honk. I pulled it out and re-installed the original until I can figure something else out.
peterj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So Todd the column fit , length was ok and everything bolted up ? Your only issue was that the collapsible portion hit the bottom of the tank ?
panicman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If one wanted to make this mod, it seems like you could either bump the bottom of the tank up carefully to create a slight tolerance for the shaft, or even shim the tank up a minute amount, possibly just on one side. Or, a bit of both.

Hard to tell what's going on with some parts sellers... I know the only time I have gotten the wrong part, it was for a supposedly 1960 ignition switch. What came was definitely NOT a 1960 switch. But the seller got back to me pretty promptly and gave me a refund. I think some of the higher volume guys (and gals) have family or helpers who slip up, but not maliciously.

Make a solid footprint in the feedback forum in any event; it only helps us all.
peterj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The parts vendor did call me last night but instead of simply saying I goofed lets make it right he told me that the column "came out of a 67 bug" . I pointed out that the picture in the ad didn't match what he had sent but he gave me more excuses.
Bottom line is he offered to take it back and send the one in the picture . What he sent me is a nice piece and it is complete just not what was represented . We agreed that if it doesn't fit I will send it back.
After reviewing more of his feedback that exchange could take weeks or months by some accounts so I think a little gas tank shimming will give me a safer column set up. You know what they say a bird in the hand....
Todd66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually used the tube from my 66 and the shaft from the 68.
Hitting the tank was the only issue. I am not sure if the 68 tube will bolt up under the dash or not. I don't know if the holes line up. It could, I am sure, be made to work. You just may have to alter the holes under the dash.
drscope
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can actually space the tank up pretty easily using plywood. That way you get a one piece spacer and you won't have any holes to the outside. Put some paint on it and you can seal it up to help get moisture out.

Or you can use any number of hard rubber strips to space it up a little.

While you are on the safety kick, it may also be a good time to replace the 4 tab washers that hold the tank down with the latter style round ones. They found that the early style ones with the corners actually punctured the fuel tank in a collision.
John Fauerbach
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 2:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Collapsible Steering Column Reply with quote

Panic man thank for the topics. Do not know why I could not find them, but could not. Again like the other reply's great material, just what I am looking for. I am thinking the shaft I have is later model 75 or newer so maybe rather than try to make any modification I just need to find a pre-75 collapsible shaft with a spline for an older wheel and make some of the modifications mentions in the replies. Anybody...does this sound right?
DancingOnTheAshes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:14 am    Post subject: Re: Collapsible Steering Column Reply with quote

*Casts resurrection*

So I'm planning of buying a new column to replace my 64 original with a 70's with a crumple zone. My question before I buy it is can I fit a later column in the sleeve of an earlier, with the older bushing and spring.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: