Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

40 IDFs Need Help from the Pros
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Matthew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 8:21 am    Post subject: 40 IDFs Need Help from the Pros Reply with quote

I recently installed a pair of Italian 40IDFs on my 1600. Before installation I had them apart, soaked in pale of carb cleaner, rinsed, blew though all passages. The were carefully reassembled with new carb kits and the float levels were set at 10mm. Fuel pressure w/ stock pump is 3psi at 2500 rpm and 3.5 psi at idle.

Now for the problem. When I shut the car off fuel runs down the throat on #4. Even if I clamp the fuel line from the pump first (fuel pressure to 0) and shut off it still happens. Engine doesn't have to be hot to make it happen. Looking down that throat with a flash light, the fuel seems to appear from around the throttle shaft on the side towards the float bowl. It will keep letting fuel flow until the float bowl level is very low (just barely above the check valve for the accel pump) I'm getting ready to pull this carb and see if I can figure it out. What should I be looking for?

Thanks in advance
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sturgeongeneral
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would double check float height and inlet valve.
My fiberglass car collection!

In honor of bowtie56jw:Another victim of the nasty "C" Praying for ya Jeff!

My exwife said if I towed home one more bug she would leave me. You know, every once in a while I miss her
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 9:31 am    Post subject: Re: 40 IDFs Need Help from the Pros Reply with quote

usually it means the idle air bleed is plugged.

John
Aircooled.Net Inc.

Please do NOT send me Private Messages through the Samba PM System (I will not see them). Send me an e-mail to john at aircooled dot net

"Like" our Facebook page at
http://www.facebook.com/vwpartsaircoolednet
and get a 5% off code for use on one order for VW Parts ON OUR PARTS STORE WEBSITE, vwparts.aircooled.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Matthew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sturgeongeneral wrote:
I would double check float height and inlet valve.

I switched to the original inlet valve and reset the float height with the same results. I can stop the fuel flow to the carb and then shut it off and it still happens. It will continue to dribble until the bowl level is very low. Only happens on that one throat. When I pier down the throats with the engine running, I do not see any fuel -- only after I shut it off does it appear around the throttle shaft and cover the throttle plate.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ALB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you check what John suggested?
Matthew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope, Looks like John was typing at the same time I was. I just saw is post. I'll jump on that and report back. Thanks!
udidwht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, check what John suggested. Those need to be clean as a whistle. Be very sure when you place the carb top gasket on that nothing is obstructing the passage ways. Re-verify the float height with the gasket in place 10-11mm. Did you replace the needle/seats?
Matthew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 2:19 pm    Post subject: Re: 40 IDFs Need Help from the Pros Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
usually it means the idle air bleed is plugged.

John
Aircooled.Net Inc.

The man is a genius, pure genius. I removed the idle jet from the offending throat and with the top off the carb blew through the little air duct that goes down to the idle jet location and viola problem solved. Very Happy There must have been a little sliver of gasket material in there.

I readjusted all the idle volume screws and consequently had to lower the idle a bit. She is running smooth. I went from Kadrons to 40 IDFs and what a difference. It has more power and runs smoother throughout the rpm range. I'll save the Kadrons for a SP engine project, but I don't think I'll ever bother with them again for any DP head engines especially when they have performance cam and head work.
DarthWeber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 2:27 pm    Post subject: Re: 40 IDFs Need Help from the Pros Reply with quote

Matthew wrote:
The man is a genius, pure genius.

You asked for a pro! Very Happy
Matthew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 2:41 pm    Post subject: Re: 40 IDFs Need Help from the Pros Reply with quote

DarthWeber wrote:
Matthew wrote:
The man is a genius, pure genius.

You asked for a pro! Very Happy

I love TheSamba! That little tip saved me countless hours of frustration, plus I learned something today.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 8:21 pm    Post subject: Re: 40 IDFs Need Help from the Pros Reply with quote

you are one of the rare ones that actually follow my advice. Very Happy

Good job.

Now tune them and stop mosquito foggin'

John
Aircooled.Net Inc.

Please do NOT send me Private Messages through the Samba PM System (I will not see them). Send me an e-mail to john at aircooled dot net

"Like" our Facebook page at
http://www.facebook.com/vwpartsaircoolednet
and get a 5% off code for use on one order for VW Parts ON OUR PARTS STORE WEBSITE, vwparts.aircooled.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: