Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Broken Steering Shaft Coupler
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
GeorgeL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wythac wrote:
You are right, George, I was giving them the benefit of the doubt that they would know the not-so "universal" coupler, but I also didn't add that I would ask them " is it perfectly round, or is it a rounded square?".

Round=good, Sorta Round=not so good.

I sent them the same pic that I posted here, which should also help.

Given that shipping it back to them at my cost just means they get to sell it twice, I would be more than happy to shove it in a flat rate envelope and ship it to you. PM me with your address, and when I get this resolved in a day or two I will send it your way. It is really a much better part than the crappy red one, nice rubber.

PM sent. All the parts we need are out there, they just aren't all in the right places! Smile
wythac
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update:

Called WCM. Guy there tells me that the couplers they sell are Brazilian, and all of them (Bus, Bug, Ghia) etc have those rounded square type design. They get them in bulk and package them themselves.

He was going back to check the bin...he said that they had almost 200 of them in stock (I think the 19 I thought I saw on the website was 191) and thanked me for giving them the heads up.

He is shipping me the correct one free of charge, and I expect that they will have their issues with unshipped stock sorted quickly.
wythac
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another Update:

Raoul from WCM called me again this morning. Every one of the couplers they had in stock, almost 200, were bus couplers mislabled as those for a bug. He has no idea how many may have gone out that way already, but he said they would make good on any that were mislabeled.

If you are a typical buggy guy, and buy parts well in advance of installation, AND you have bought a coupler from WCM, if I were you I would haul it out of the box and take a look at it, make sure it is the right one. Bus one is bigger.

For anyone ordering one now, they are currently out of stock, but he says that they will have the correct ones in this week. You could order now without worrying about getting the wrong part....they are very aware.
wythac
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Took three weeks, and a few phone calls to WCM, but I did get the proper coupler. Way too much effort for a 5.00 part, but worth it in the end.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Below is the one that was sent to me originally, next to the urethane one that gets replaced. You'll see that the part numbers are the same, but the black coupler is much larger in this photo...it is for a bus. They had quite a stock of these mislabled parts, so if you have purchased one of these from WCM and thrown it in a box of parts yet to be used, haul it out and check it on your steering coupler hardware to make sure it fits.

DirtGhost
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

use u-joints

Endoboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, after reading all this, I went to check my coupler. It was an OE german one and probably dated from 1964, just like the pan, and it had several small cracks in it. Nothing serious, but why take the chance? I went right out and got a new one (the black rounded-off square one), but haven't checked yet to see if it was mislabeled for size/model.

Really glad I saw this thread, though. If it keeps even one person from having theirs fail, it was a great resource. Thanks, Samba.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wythac
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dirt Ghost, isnt that a rag joint up by your steering box and pitman arm?
DirtGhost
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wythac wrote:
Dirt Ghost, isnt that a rag joint up by your steering box and pitman arm?

Good eye. Yes it is but finish joints will all be U-joints.
wythac
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would definitely use U-joints if my steering column were long or not at an identical angle to the steering box. I have a 3" lift and considered using the stock steering column hole in the firewall and a two u-joint jackshaft to complete the connection to the steering box. Ultimately it was simpler, given the limited space, to just relocate the hole in the firewall lower in the body and use a cut down steering shaft (about 2" shorter) with an otherwise stock column and box.
vindeta
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked Shocked Shocked i have one of those on my car right now...
im going outside grabbing that thing and throwing it as far as i can.

this thread really should be posted somewhere.. im sure theres alot of ppl still using the urethane coupler that dont know about this.
Elwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am using only 1 U joint and not the rag joint at all. I can adjust my tierod angle in any direction by chiseleing off the stops.
So bumpsteer can be taken out easily and the column angle is not stock as it would be impossible to determine what that would be. I prefer this setup actually as it gives me alot more flexibility.

i think from now on i will do this in lowered Bugs as well.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
scarybuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Elwood, does your u-joint fit the stock steering box and steering column? If so, what size is it and where did you pick it up from? It is from a Super Beetle?

'67 Manx Clone
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Elwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its a standard 36 spline U-joint I bought from Chirco.
I also bought a short splined stuf and a long spline stub that fits it.

I then took the piece that bolts to the rag joint with the short spline stub on it and drilled out the stub on a lathe. I drilled it to the correct size hole for the stub I bought. 5/8". Inserted the short stub and welded it up. Using it as an adapter to bolt to the steering box. I also drilled those holes out and I am using 5/16" bolts through those.

The long splined stub will go into the steering shaft and be welded one the required length is determined by assembling, tack welding checking and rechecking...

This is gonna be standard procedure for me from now on so I can adjust out the bumpsteer.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mwcopi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was out for a drive today and was luckily turning from a stop light and heard a pop and had no steering! No more poly steering bushings for me! It wasn't even two years old!
airdreams1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dirtbugger wrote:
I managed to find that Pic of the coupler on my mates buggy.

It was only months old and as you can see from the condition of all the surrounding hardware, the buggy had never rolled a tyre in the dirt.

I know this is an old post......... But this thing was not even installed correctly! Its no wonder why It failed. Cant blame the product for this one... it should have a washer on both sides of all 4 holes just like the instructions should have said.

It should look something like this:

bit longer.

& if it isnt flat like it should be, adjust things till it is. Dont leave it like this:

Leaving it warped like in the pic above will ruin the OEM rubber ones too. it just takes a bit longer. (I know I lost a nylock & will be replacing it in the morning)

That said Ive never had a problem running them on my Baja. no problems with the motor mounts or trans mounts either. But I ran them with a center trans mount & bell housing strap as well (just to be sure I didnt get any motor hop & brake anything. & never a problem with the shifting coupler or trailing arm bushings.
All was on by baja since Y2K.... & Yes they saw lots of off road use..

Just for the record, I didnt buy the cheep empi crap made in China!

OH, & should mention that the same urethane steering coupler is now on my Samurai.......... Soon to be a Volksuki Bugurai (Samurai chassis with my 66 Baja body)
lostinbaja
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The urethane is not meant to be used in a "ragnut" application, there is no redundancy. The rubber ragnut has nylon fiber in it to hold it together, it will not fail completely like a urethane ragnut.
RIP Morgan

My photos
http://www.manxgallery.org/gallery/album92

Last edited by lostinbaja on Sun Jun 10, 2012 6:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

airdreams1 wrote:
dirtbugger wrote:
I managed to find that Pic of the coupler on my mates buggy.

It was only months old and as you can see from the condition of all the surrounding hardware, the buggy had never rolled a tyre in the dirt.

I know this is an old post......... But this thing was not even installed correctly! Its no wonder why It failed. Cant blame the product for this one... it should have a washer on both sides of all 4 holes just like the instructions should have said.

It should look something like this:

bit longer.

& if it isnt flat like it should be, adjust things till it is. Dont leave it like this:

Leaving it warped like in the pic above will ruin the OEM rubber ones too. it just takes a bit longer. (I know I lost a nylock & will be replacing it in the morning)

That said Ive never had a problem running them on my Baja. no problems with the motor mounts or trans mounts either. But I ran them with a center trans mount & bell housing strap as well (just to be sure I didnt get any motor hop & brake anything. & never a problem with the shifting coupler or trailing arm bushings.

OH, & should mention that the same urethane steering coupler is now on my Samurai.......... Soon to be a Volksuki Bugurai (Samurai chassis with my 66 Baja body)

Carry spare "rag" joint in tool box...

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
BL3Manx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

airdreams1 wrote:
I know this is an old post......... But this thing was not even installed correctly! Its no wonder why It failed. Cant blame the product for this one... it should have a washer on both sides of all 4 holes just like the instructions should have said. & if it isnt flat like it should be, adjust things till it is.
Leaving it warped like in the pic above will ruin the OEM rubber ones too. it just takes a bit longer.

Great idea, remove the flex! In fact just replace it with a solid steel one or better yet attach the shaft directly to the box. Those silly engineers at VW sure screwed that one up. I wonder how they ever figured a flex coupling was necessary.

I know exactly what you mean about the OEM rubber ones eventually being ruined too. I've got a 50 year old one on a steering box in the garage and almost all the rubber is crumbled. Its funny though, the fabric cords are pretty much still intact, they're hella tough and I'm pretty sure it would still get me home without catastrophically failing and allowing me to run into something or someone.
airdreams1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not trying to argue anything with anyone. Just stating that if not isstalled properly like in pic 2 (that I intentionaly set up that way for the pic) you can & will cause either type of coupler to fail prematurly.
This is probably why the other ones failed like they did. Or could just be the lousy material the Chinese ones were made of.
didget69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

True that the installation method is important, but the fact is that the urethane steering joints are best used as wall art or as a paper weight. I'll take a factory rag-joint any day over the urethane part...

Urethane in suspension components? Sure, I'd use them.

Urethane in the steering linkage? No thanks.... VW didn't use them from the factory.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: