Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

'50 running gear value / 383 dist. wire or spring clips?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well... i'll just keep rebuild them as I get them. Unless they are obviously swapped.

You do know there are early and late styles of band clips..... So late clamps are definitely wrong.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
janerick3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For what it's worth (and is probably a subject for a separate thread), PR is not very detailed or accurate in documenting changes in vendor-supplied parts; especially where the change was done unilaterally on the part of the supplier and did not require VW's approval, since the VW specification was not affected (such as the type of distributor cap clip). Odds are if you looked at a Bosch-supplied Porsche, MB, or Borgward distributor from 1954-55, it would have wire clips, as well.

Why PR even makes mention of these supplier changes is because it was either noted by a VW employee during incoming parts inspection (such as the date code stamps on the distributors in March 1951) or the supplier sent VW a letter or telex (early form of email sent via teletype) informing them of the change.
hazetguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnshenry wrote:
That one is likely a replacement part. It is documented somewhere that the O ring on the shaft didn't come out until '53

edfall wrote:
To begin, I will observe the picture of the 383 distributor from Hazetguy with the 11S date stamp is a remanufactured unit--that's what the little mark below the 11S stamp means. Somewhere on that distributor there will be an earlier date code probably with an E, F, G or H although it might be later as the 383 was used on Porsche engines through 1955 (L). I have had a number of early distributors with two or more date codes indicating one or more factory rebuilds accordingly.

well, today i looked a little more closely at my 11S 383 distributor. lo and behold, just like Ed predicted, there was an earlier date code stamped. it was hidden under paint before.
the code is 7J, july 1953. (notice the wire distributor cap clip Wink )

i would be more than happy to trade this 7J 383 distributor for a 2G or 3G dated 383. anyone?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
IN2VWS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW.....I have not seen any Bosch catalogs, 1952 or earlier, that shows wire clips on any distributor.

Pic 1. 1950 Bosch catalog
Pic 2. 1952 Bosch catalog

There are many references to the Purvis book that was published in late the 1950's or early 1960's. IMO this book is not an acceptable reference as it is printed after the dates in dispute.
Someone show me, and educate me, with pics that are PRE Zitter showing wire clips in use.

⨴⨵--⊗--⨴⨵ 𝕊ℙ𝟚¹⁹⁷³
𝟵_𝟭_𝟰¹⁹⁷³
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hazetguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pic from a dealer training binder (notice the wire clips Wink ). while this is a later 36hp drawing, it's dated 3/59, and some of the items in the drawing are clearly earlier than what was being put on the engines at that time. this is one reason why i seldom rely on the drawings in parts manuals, service manuals, parts catalogs, etc, to be accurate depictions of what is actually being produced at that exact moment in time. production specs change, suppliers may be meeting the general design specs while having different visually looking products (look at aftermarket mufflers as an example of that). i also think there is almost always going to be some kind of documentation to support or disprove either side of a discussion like this.

vive les attaches de fil!

and getting back to the original topic of this thread-
looks like the car has been parted out and the stuff is for sale:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=957748
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=956336
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=956339
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=942629
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=955642
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=934426
IN2VWS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hazetguy wrote:
i also think there is almost always going to be some kind of documentation to support or disprove either side of a discussion like this.

Yes, I agree with you. That is why I am asking for pre Zwitter docs. I can show plenty of docs, Zwitter and later, showing both types of clips.
⨴⨵--⊗--⨴⨵ 𝕊ℙ𝟚¹⁹⁷³
𝟵_𝟭_𝟰¹⁹⁷³
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
johnshenry Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IN2VWS wrote:
hazetguy wrote:
i also think there is almost always going to be some kind of documentation to support or disprove either side of a discussion like this.

Yes, I agree with you. That is why I am asking for pre Zwitter docs. I can show plenty of docs, Zwitter and later, showing both types of clips.

You won't get any (because there aren't any IMO), nor will you change some people's minds here apparently. There are some flat-earthers here who despite the absence of compelling verifiable evidence will still insist that wire clips were used in production on early splits.

'57 Deluxe
'56 Single Cab
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hazetguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

next thing you're gonna tell me is that the earth revolves around the sun. Shocked Very Happy
BUGBOY1976
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
VJ4BR3T that came to me sure looking all original. It's circa early 54 and has wire clips.

Is it correct to say this would have been on an early 54 barndoor kombi?
palmgreen57
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
I'm rebuilding my 383 distributor,
does somebody know what is the best way to get the original color-paint of the body ?
on mine there is still some old paint, it look very thin like a surface traitment
does is it paint or burnishing Question
if someone can help me with that question.... Very Happy
palmgreen57
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nobody Question
virtanen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I restored my Jan 52 split and it's distributor, I got black passive zinc coat on it.
New projects
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
James Davies
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a photo of a Dec 1952 Porsche typ 528 engine.

The Bosch VE 4 BRS 383 distributor has wire clips. The photo was taken in March 1953. You can see more photos here.

I suspect this distributor is probably date coded Nov 1952, but it could be a month or two earlier.
tasb
The Distributor Distributor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would have thought that in 1952 the plug wires would have been insulated with cloth those do not look to be cloth wires.

The paint, esp on the earlier distributors was very thin. There frequently were modification changes to the distributors that were denoted by placing a red and/or yellow paint mark on the underside below the badge. The most frequent change seems to be to the advance spring tension.

Yes, a January to August 1954 Kombi would have had a VJ 4 BR 3, not a BRS 383 or BR 8 distributor. The T on the badge indicates that a metal dust cover plate was installed to prevent the cap center carbon brush dust from coming into contact with the points contacts.

1965 hardtop Deluxe Microbus owned since 1990 M 620 factory 12 v 1500cc

1961 (October)Single Cab- Road Trip Workhorse
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
janerick3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beru wires from that era were rubber; Bosch were enameled cloth.

Mice like to eat the Beru wires, so they're hard to find in any condition.
tasb
The Distributor Distributor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a lot of memory and documentation to dig through but somewhere I do recall that Beru plugs and possibly other ignition related items did come from the VW factory on some occasions. I wonder if it was just plugs on the same engine or if plugs then other items like points went into the same engine. Can anyone else confirm or deny this assertion?

1965 hardtop Deluxe Microbus owned since 1990 M 620 factory 12 v 1500cc

1961 (October)Single Cab- Road Trip Workhorse
splitjunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alanhall wrote:
I checked my ORIGINAL 52/54 wokshop manual and as was stated earlier page 5-1 CLEARLY shows the wire clips on engine 1-0490428. (No magnifing glass required)

Alan Hall

Here is that page. Clearly wire on the top picture. Hard to tell but looks like flat ones are on the bottom picture.

The thing about pictures in owners manuals and even VW factory manuals is that they would only take new pictures when there was either something significantly different that required a new picture or there was a desire for new updated pictures. The same photos would get used for many years and in some case airbrushed to reflect later changes that didn't warrant a new photo being taken.

For this reason, these types of photos are only good for getting a rough idea when a change was introduced, not how long a detail continued.

You know, a lot of these scratches will buff right out... Jerry Seinfeld
splitjunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

383 from my October '51. Code of 5J = May 1953 so it is not original to the car. The code is in kind of a weird area but is clearly legible with a magnifying glass. The only other mark is a 4 to the right of the BOSCH plate on the front. It has the o-ring and the wire clips.

This thread reminds me of the great intake manifold wars of 2006 through 2007. John's prevailing theory was the the 701 came before the Jacked K and the Zwitter. After much back and forth and posting of documentation my theory of the 701 being a later replacement part that never went on a production car is now pretty much the accepted theory. It's even on the Zarwerks tech works page. Very Happy

These things can go on for years until someone finds enough legitimate documentation to prove or disprove any particular point of view.

These Porsche guys sure seem to think the 383's came with either style of clips.
http://www.sparkingplugs.com/4.html

Last edited by splitjunkie on Mon Jul 20, 2015 12:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
johnshenry Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

splitjunkie wrote:
383 from my October '51. Code of 5J = May 1953 so it is not original to the car. The code is in kind of a weird area but is clearly legible with a magnifying glass. The only other mark is a 4 to the right of the BOSCH plate on the front. It has the o-ring and the wire clips.

This thread reminds me of the great intake manifold wars of 2006 through 2007. John's prevailing theory was the the 701 came before the Jacked K and the Zwitter. After much back and forth and posting of documentation my theory of the 701 being a later replacement part that never went on a production car is now pretty much the accepted theory. It's even on the Zarwerks tech works page. Very Happy

These things can go on for years until someone finds enough legitimate documentation to prove or disprove any particular point of view.

Ahhh yes, the great manifold war of '06. I still am working on the monument to that one. I agree with Chris completely, and opinion on something (my own included), devoid of any concrete evidence to wither refute OR support it, is just an opinion. My opinion about the wire clips is that they were not used on pre-zwitter engines, and to date, there has been no evidence to refute that.... and a good bit of evidence to support it.

In the top pic above, with the wire clips, the intake appears to be the creased jacket style, which we think is a post jacketed K and a pre-701X intake BTW. It is found in both the 701 "K" style but with the thinner heat riser tubes, and also the rare "zwitter' style with the right heat riser leg that goes to the end and then bends at a right angle.

'57 Deluxe
'56 Single Cab
splitjunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes that picture is from an October '52 manual so it is a Zwitter. This is the first time we see this picture at least in what is available on The Samba so we can use that as a data point that the wire clips were available at the time they took the pictures for the Oct '52 manual which was probably a month, maybe two before it was printed. So we know they were available on the Zwitter.

The January '52 manual shows the spring clips in two pictures, however the manifold is a non jacketed K so those pictures are behind by at least one year.

January '52

We see the same pictures in the September '51 manual

September '51

We first see these pictures in the August '50 manual.
August '50

So the lack of pictures of 383 distributors without wire clips on these manuals does not tell us definitively that they weren't using the wire clips at some point during this time frame because they were recycling a picture from a month or two before August of 1950 through a month or two before before October of 1952.
The Zwitter was a heavily changed car from the split dash split so they had to take new pictures for the new manual. Because of this we see a 383 with wire clips. Had they taken a new picture in January of '52 would we see spring clips or wire clips? We just don't know because they didn't take that picture

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7

Jump to: