Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Sun Bug?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chris74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GREAT NEWS!!!!!!!!!
I got home and decided to look under the carpet and padding like “badassdubs” did and to my surprise it had “hellas” written on it. So I guess that is all the proof I need to prove my new project is a Sunbug.

Now I just need to finish my daughter’s ’73 Super so I can start restoring my Sunbug.

Thanks to everyone who was kind enough to help me figure out a little bit of the history of my car. The people on this site are the BEST.

Chris
bvolks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did they all have the corduroy inserts in the seats? I thought my 74 was a Sunbug but now I'm not so sure. It does have the center console though.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1995 Golf CL
1974 Beetle
1978 Westfalia
a.wilson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kaseyart wrote:
I have a Sunbug Super that I am restoring. Have the shift knob, decklid emblem (had one made in metal).

Neat! A few years back, I asked this guy that has worked for over 30 something years at our local VW dealership in the parts department if he remebered anything about the sunbug badge.
He recalled that they were made of plastic.

Who did you get to make yours?

bvolks: Got any more pics? They could be older replacements or the corduroy was ripped off at some point.

oemwolf
badassdubs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris74 wrote:
GREAT NEWS!!!!!!!!!
I got home and decided to look under the carpet and padding like “badassdubs” did and to my surprise it had “hellas” written on it. So I guess that is all the proof I need to prove my new project is a Sunbug.
Chris

Awesome. Glad I could help. Now you need to get a birth certificate.
FYI, I tried to get one for my '65 and they refunded my money because the microfische was unreadable. So obviously they haven't put in on the computer, so time will be your enemy as to whether or not the microfische file with your car on it is still readable.
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I may be wrong on this, but as far as I recall, the Sunbug special edition didn't appear until late in the model year. May, June and July cars only.
A Sunbug has to have either a convertible top or a sunroof.
A Sunbug has to be metalic gold (a couple of recipes exist for the colours)

A 74 without a sunroof might be factory painted gold, if so, it ain't a Sunbug.
A 74 convertible might be painted in a colour that's not gold, then it ain't a Sunbug.

Glenn, do you recall if there were gold Bugs on the lot the day you bought yours?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Chris74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ordered a birth certificate yesterday. bvolks, my convertible does not have the corduroy seat inserts, but the seats could have been recovered. When I remove the seats for recovering I am going to take a closer look and see if I can find any corduroy fabric.

Does anyone know of a company that makes the correct color interior for Sunbugs? I want to restore my car back to original, or as close as I can. Also, does anyone know how many Sunbgs were made?

Thanks,
Chris
bvolks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They could have possibly recovered but the car was only 8 years when it was hit in the rear passenger's side and put into the barn where I found it in 92.
1995 Golf CL
1974 Beetle
1978 Westfalia
ncbill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 5:08 am    Post subject: Sun bug interior Reply with quote

My Sun Bug has, as best as I can tell from the picture, the exact interior as the sun bug pictured by bvolks.Mine has a weave center pattern with smooth sides/back in brown. The door panels are also brown. Mine has a black door tag manf. 01/74 Convert
Was the corduroy insert was an option?

Dear Kaseyart, could you elaborate on having the engine hood bug emblem
made
Thanks/Bill
kaseyart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I can tell from my research on sunbugs there were actually a few different interiors. The brown with the inserts and then just a brown with no inserts. Again this is from what I understand.

Chris74: Number on the consoel is: ZVW-155-111 Here are pics:

ncbill: I have a friend that works for a company that makes the metal plates that foil stamp on the front of hard cover books. (hope that makes sense) If he has extra time he can do side work. I redrew the sunbug logo from the bottom of the brochure in illustrator. Took the length form the standard "volkswagen" emblem on the back and sized it from there. He then took that and made a 3D image and cut it from a light weight aluminum if I remember correctly. The thickest part (sunglasses) is 5mm thick and the thinnest (inside font) is 2mm thick. I then took them and sprayed them with auto grade paint and clear coat. I have more pictures if you would like to see. Hope that is what you were wondering. Sorry so long.
Chris74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kaseyart, Thanks for the info. My console looks exactly like yours and I believe the numbers are the same. I will have to check when I get home. It is good to hear that the seats came with different options, since my seats are all vinyl. Of course they are worn out and I will be replacing them, but now at least I have different options.
ncbill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:11 am    Post subject: Sun Bug Emblem Reply with quote

Dear Kaseyart, I smell a side business making the sun bug logos. Give it a shot I'm in for one.
Bill
kaseyart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:17 am    Post subject: Re: Sun Bug Emblem Reply with quote

ncbill wrote:
Dear Kaseyart, I smell a side business making the sun bug logos. Give it a shot I'm in for one.
Bill

No worries, I am actually in talks with him. Just have to get a price from him to see what I would be out of pocket. Also need to decide to offer them painted, unpainted or both.

unpainted:

Painted:
a.wilson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:18 am    Post subject: Re: Sun Bug Emblem Reply with quote

ncbill wrote:
Bill

Agreed!

oemwolf
Chris74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kaseyart, I would buy one also if you decide to have them made
bond007
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 1:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Sun Bug Emblem Reply with quote

kaseyart wrote:
ncbill wrote:
Bill

No worries, I am actually in talks with him. Just have to get a price from him to see what I would be out of pocket. Also need to decide to offer them painted, unpainted or both.

unpainted:

Painted:

Count me in as well!!!
I recently acquired a 03/74 standard (non-super beetle) Sunbug. It does have the sunroof, black VIN sticker on the door jamb, exterior gold paint, "chocolate brown" interior, padded steering wheel, console, and an item I haven't heard discussed before: The knobs for the small quarter window at the doors have a wooden insert, as well as the glovebox release knob (no-key one).

Thanks
bvolks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 1:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Sun Bug Emblem Reply with quote

Quote:
Count me in as well!!!
I recently acquired a 03/74 standard (non-super beetle) Sunbug. It does have the sunroof, black VIN sticker on the door jamb, exterior gold paint, "chocolate brown" interior, padded steering wheel, console, and an item I haven't heard discussed before: The knobs for the small quarter window at the doors have a wooden insert, as well as the glovebox release knob (no-key one).

Thanks

Maybe that's why someone stole my glove box latch last year and why there was no shifter knob when I bought it.
1995 Golf CL
1974 Beetle
1978 Westfalia
Chris74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="kaseyart"]From what I can tell from my research on sunbugs there were actually a few different interiors. The brown with the inserts and then just a brown with no inserts. Again this is from what I understand.

Chris74: Number on the consoel is: ZVW-155-111 Here are pics:

My seats are smooth brown vinyl with brown basket weave inserts. Maybe these are the original seats.

Thanks kaseyart, that is number on my console. Mine is dirty and faded and I would like to repaint it, could you tell me if the black is shiny, satin or flat black? Where did you find all your info on Sun Bugs?
Chris74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John7 my VIN is 1542446888
kaseyart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris74 wrote:
Thanks kaseyart, that is number on my console. Mine is dirty and faded and I would like to repaint it, could you tell me if the black is shiny, satin or flat black? Where did you find all your info on Sun Bugs?

Chris: I had to look last night to really get a good look. I would have to say it's a little between shiny & satin. Probably depends on how clean it is. It is basically the same finish as the dash pad. Think they were supposed to match or as close as they can.

All the info was just a lot of looking around on the internet and connecting the dots. A couple good sites are http://bellsouthpwp.net/s/a/saarij/sunbug/ & http://www.sebeetles.com/sun.htm

Also I worked at an air cooled only parts store for a few years and talked to a lot of people about them. The thing I have learned about VWs over the last 10 years as I am sure many people know this Volkswagen was never really consistent all the time. They would change things mid year and no one would know. Also have 2 or 3 different variations of things. Like interiors and such. Let me know if there is anything you need to know. I learned by asking questions. Always glad to help.
jwcurry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a general comment...you can't always go by what someone had on their car when they bought it new. I worked in dealerships for almost thirty years. It is not uncommon for a dealer to take a standard trim vehicle and dress it up with SE parts to get more money out of it.

Examples:
At a Honda dealership, we upgraded LX models with LX-i wheels and trim.
At a Ford dealership, we upgraded XLT trucks with FX4 decals, but didn't change suspension components (which FX4 desination was supposed to have)---or added chrome exterior trim (non-OEM) to XLT's to mimic Chrome Edition trucks.

We would also pull cloth interiors and install leather to "upgrade" a standard model. None of these "upgrades" were mentioned to a customer...unless they were familiar with what was supposed to come on a vehicle and asked.

Whenever I see a thread like this about what came on what new--I think that in thirty years, all those cars modified at the dealership will be the object of a debate on what came on what, when.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: