Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Dual Ignition Heads
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
miniman82
Samba Swamp Donkey

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In a word: distributorless.
That, or 2 distributors.

Glenn wrote:
satterley_sr wrote:

I just wanted to bitch but I'm getting no sympathy.

Welcome to the Samba.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mr. Electric Wizard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gotcha.

(T)exas (C)oalition (B)uses
(H)eidenhammer (B)ully (B)oyz

--1966 De Luxe Camper
Jake Raby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

or a twin plug distributor..
I have done it 5 different ways.
It's worth the hassles!
"I've never given anyone Hell, I just told them the truth and they thought it was Hell"
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gears
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to do this mod in the early 90's for various performance VWs and 4-cyl Porsches. ("New Products" April '92 Hot VWs)

heads and distributor:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

various Type I heads"
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Twntrbo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there a available distributor for twin plugs?
Unkl Ian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Twntrbo wrote:

Some Japanese motors ran dual plugs with a distributor and two coils

I think Ford used EDIS and coil packs on the dual plug Rangers.
Jake Raby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Twntrbo wrote:

YES!
And I now have a method of using the 009, 010,019 or 050 dizzy to fire coil packs for twin plugs.

Don't bother doing it if you plan on keeping low CR and are afraid of cylinder pressures..

Gears, I always liked your way of thinking...I'd like to find some of those dizzys you were using!

I am sure you had plenty of people tell you that it was wasted effort, just like I have.
"I've never given anyone Hell, I just told them the truth and they thought it was Hell"
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
craigman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would be interested in a twin plug ignition also.
Jake, any chance your going to sell this "conversion" for the 009 dizzy?

Craig
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gears
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jake, I installed a simple pair of mini switches beneath the dash on my Ghia, one for each coil ... a simple way to demo the difference between single plug and dual plug.

My original dizzy was just an adapter plate whittled from an old cam gear, heat shrink onto an 009. The dizzy in the photo is a later 1-piece billet body. I'd merely use a shaft assembly with weights and bits from 009, 010, or 031, along with my own body and adapter parts.

The early rotors would fly apart at 6000 engine rpm, ruining the cap too. It wasn't until the rotor material was changed from cheap plastic to strong Zytel that the mod became worthwhile.

Gary Peloquin may have been the first guy to use dual crank fire for a drag car (with the Scat heads in photo) ... if I recall correctly, dual ignition was promptly banned.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bdkw1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jake Raby wrote:
Twntrbo wrote:

YES!
And I now have a method of using the 009, 010,019 or 050 dizzy to fire coil packs for twin plugs.

Nissan Z24 cap and rotor?
Jake Raby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gears,
Yep, they always ban the things that "Do not work".. I had a heated debate about the usage of twin plugs with another well known builder last year on this topic..

I've never really been able to gather back to back data on the twin plug benefits on an N/A engine because to get the max from the technology I have always ran higher CR than the single plug would support on the same grade of fuel, so the variables were too great.. The least I have ever ran with twin plugs is 10.8:1 CR.

The bigger bore TIV engines REALLY see a big gain from this with their larger bores and chambers as the two flame fronts dramatically reduce the optimized total timing of the engine.

The twin coil 009 driven kit is through testing and is being employed on my turn key engines now.. Not much of this technology is sold otherwise as I am afraid of someone applying the components improperly would occur. Its a guarantee that not adhering to the dramatic differences in tuning and engine design will create a failure that could stain the reputation of the technology.

All it takes is one. With a turn key I have quite a bit of control over these complexities.

Its a different world, not many conventional VW people are open minded enough to accept it. Thats why I LOVE it!
gears
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I pursued the twin plug thing in 1990, after being told how a Big Name shop had tried it, failed, and proclaimed it couldn't be done. There's probably still a few guys running around with my twin-plug conversions today. I kept the last 1-piece dizzy for my display case, and I think Pele Bug still has my original 2-piece.

The reason twin plugs were banned when Gary showed up at the track was because it worked too well. He told me his already high horsepower engine gained an additional 20 hp, but I was never able to verify numbers or take it to the next level, as my role was really just as the underground machinist. I even contemplated a sectioned waterboxer head ... now there's a head with which "it can't be done" ... way easier to start from scratch with a new design.
Jake Raby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I pursued the twin plug thing in 1990, after being told how a Big Name shop had tried it, failed, and proclaimed it couldn't be done.

Undoubtedly the big name shop you are referring to is headed up by the same person that challenged me last year and stated that twin plugs "were just fancy gizmos that would never make power"... He stated that they attempted it 25 years ago with no luck.Anything that breaks their precious ability to build multiple engines all generically designed is deemed "not to work" because they don't want to actually have to vary their build sheets.

Obviously that work was done with the same generic combos that they used for single plug engines, not creating an optimum working environment for the twin plug arrangement to shine.

Chamber shapes, sizes, CR, camsheft and etc are very critical to the optimization of a twin plug arangement. I have found that even exhaust systems tend to need alteration when employing twin plugs.

I first did it in 1997 but it took till 99 to get it worked out..
Jimmy111
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Twin Plugs can and do create a faster and more directed burn. They work best with a pent roof combustion chamber like in a 4 valve per cylinder chamber but they also work well in a wedge chamber such as a VW chamber. I have some photos taken from different types of combustion chambers and they clearly show that the twin plug setup does compleate the combustion event 30% faster than any single plust setup. Jakes heads are well designed and he does have the data to prove that they work well in VW applications.
tencentlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an '82 Datsun pickup with the twin-plug Z22 engine. Long ago when it was my daily it gradually got to running off, big loss of power. Started looking around and found one of the two coil-to-cap HT leads had rubbed against a hose and the juice had carbonised the rubber until it was grounding out that way, cancelling one bank of plugs. Isolated the wires and it was like adding a second engine, the jump in power was HUGE! Two sparks in a chamber designed for them makes an amazing difference, and without the second spark is a dog.

Please don't PM here, I will not reply.

Experience is kryptonite to doctrine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
66zeke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rolls Royce used to use dual plugs but they had one set coming out of a magneto. the reason behind this was the distributer would provide great low rpm spark and the magneto would handle the higher rpms. so I think Mr. Raby should use a crank trigger dis. and a vertex or somthing Very Happy
Bones 53
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can see how using a coil pack for each plug would work but how does the distributor fire two plugs at the same time for each cylinder? Does anyone have some pictures of the distributors being used and the wiring setup?

Is there a distributor / ignition system available to purchase for twin plug applications?
Jake Raby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We just finished the testing of the simplest method yet.. It uses any VW dizzy and acts as a trigger to fire a pair of copil packs that are connected to the two banks of plugs.

Its a 689.00 set up, but it works well and makes the dual ignition arrangement a true bolt on with all off the shelf parts.
miniman82
Samba Swamp Donkey

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to be like this, but...

$690? Pffft. Rolling Eyes

If all you're doing is firing pairs of plugs in parallel (at the same time, a la Alfa Romeo TS engine), the same thing can be accomplished for much less money. Just use 2 EDIS systems in parallel, with a Megajolt/Megasquirt controlling it. If you want a REAL twin plug system that has some real tuning power (perhaps you already do), all you need is another Megajolt. Then you can have 2 entirely separate spark maps, so you would be able to experiment with leading/trailing schemes like the rotaries do.

Glenn wrote:
satterley_sr wrote:

I just wanted to bitch but I'm getting no sympathy.

Welcome to the Samba.
Jake Raby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure it could be.. and we have done it and have probably experienced every way to fire twin plugs ever available..

Thats because I have been pushing this technology for over a decade with the ignition system being THE achilles heel from day one and the limiting factor.

Fact is the twin plugs don't make any more power with lead/ trail settings for the plugs as I have went to the ends of the earth to apply these sorts of changes and test the changes. What has worked best is simultaneous firing with high enough voltage to overcome the static from the elevated cylinder pressures that we love to use with twin plug arrangements.

BUT the majority of who I cater to wants nothing to do with any system that requires computer interface..

What may be simple to you isn't simple to others... The majority of those I deal with don't have a tool box, or I supply them with tools to assemble their engine kit. Some of these people want the simplest, easiest to understand system possible that snaps into place in a few minutes..

Its a different world.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7

Jump to: