Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Dual Ignition Heads
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
gears
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No need to "clear out fins" .. just carefully machine through them.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Required tooling:

'87 Syncro GL 2.5
https://guardtransaxle.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Steve Arndt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://revmasterautomotive.com/revmasteraviation/?p=125

These REV049 proprietary cylinder heads are heavy-duty, thick-wall casting designed for large displacement engines, with 40mm intake valves and 35.5mm exhaust valves, and machined for dual plug ignition application.

Pair REV049 cylinder heads, complete with stainless steel valves, springs and retainers $895.00

gears
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For high performance, aiming toward the exhaust (on all cylinders) with small plugs is the least disruptive to intake flow.
'87 Syncro GL 2.5
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Juanito84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How are you supposed to get a tight quench with the revemaster heads if the plug comes out in the quench area?

Looks like machining your own would be better. However I'm sure it would be easy to mess up a head if you're not experienced at machining. Guess I better find someone who is.
gears
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was wondering the same thing. Looks like "divot pistons required".

Anyhow, if you look at the two "pattern" heads in my previous photo, you'll see the optimum placement for 10mm lower plugs, allowing max valve size and max flycut without the plug getting in the way of anything .. and both plugs pointed toward exhaust valves. Oh .. one big one .. you can easily change the plugs!

For big valves, the upper plug would typically be moved outward slightly, reducing size from 14mm to 12mm.
'87 Syncro GL 2.5
drumbum68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 049 dual plug heads look hemi cut to me.
Jimmy111
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, they look hemi cut.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ditto.
Steve Arndt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://revmasterautomotive.com/revmasteraviation/?p=308

quote:
Revmaster Aviation has finished development of its latest upgraded engine, and the results are in: more horsepower at any usable rpm. The new Revmaster R-2300 (2331cc, 142.2 cu.in.) engine maintains Revmaster’s famous proprietary systems and parts, including its RM-049 heads that feature large fins and a hemispherical combustion chamber; and it maintains the earlier R-2200’s engine’s top horsepower (82) at 2950rpm continuous. (Takeoff power is rated at 85, at 3350rpm.)
gears
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first dual ignition engine back in the '80s utilized Epco aircraft heads into which we installed larger seats and hemi cut the chambers. I didn't much care for the entry angle of the plugs, though ..

'87 Syncro GL 2.5
HansMartin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got this in a trade - think the valves are 32 and 40 , anyways they are twin spark.

Was planning to run dual coils triggered from the dizzy as per usual - but after reading in this thread this seems to the wrong way to do it . I'll read it all one more time and see if i understand more second time around Smile
Bashr52
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HansMartin wrote:

Got this in a trade - think the valves are 32 and 40 , anyways they are twin spark.

Was planning to run dual coils triggered from the dizzy as per usual - but after reading in this thread this seems to the wrong way to do it . I'll read it all one more time and see if i understand more second time around Smile

Those heads would be killer on big cam small bore engine. You could run some crazy compression with no ill effects.

My thought on a dual plug setup would be to run two of the compufire D.I.S. style systems. I think Jake Raby tried that setup though and found it had an issue.
HansMartin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trying to read up on the ignition system for the Alfa Romeo 8v engines - they use twin spark and the coils fire two sparks at the same time for each cylinder.

THis is all new territory to me thou - so i'm reading and reading trying to understand how things are supposed to work Smile
Juanito84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HansMartin wrote:
trying to read up on the ignition system for the Alfa Romeo 8v engines - they use twin spark and the coils fire two sparks at the same time for each cylinder.

THis is all new territory to me thou - so i'm reading and reading trying to understand how things are supposed to work Smile

The idea is about speeding up the flame. Slow flames rob the engine of efficiency and power. This is because a slow burning flame must be started sooner (more advance) and so creates more back pressure durring the compression cycle. It also continues burning a longer time after the piston is on it's way back down causing full potential pressure to not be reached until late and therefore is a power loss during the begining of the combustion cycle when you could have had full pressure.

Theoretically it would be most efficient for all the fuel to burn instintaneously at TDC. But we don't have the technology to do that. We can, however, speed up the flame by 1) increasing compression, 2) enrichening the fuel mixture, or placing a rich patch of air/fuel by the sparkplug (aka stratospheric charge), 3) creating more turbulence like with quench, 4) creating more load by using a smaller displacement or taller gears, 5) making smaller compact combustion chambers instead of long flat ones so that he flame has less distance to travel, 6) centraly locating the sparkplug so the flame has less distance to travel, or even better, 7) increasing the number of sparkplugs per cylinder so the flames have less distance to travel.

It becomes obvious that two flames started at two different spots will burn up all the fuel faster than just one flame. Of course you have to adjust the timing (retard it) because things will burn up faster. But now you'll have less back pressure during the end of the compression cycle and more down pressure durring the begining of the combustion cycle. These both translate into more efficiency and therefore better fuel mileage and power.

Then again you also have the aviation standpoint where you need a second ignition system in case the other one fails since there aren't very many places to pull over an airplane with a dead engine.

Last edited by Juanito84 on Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:58 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
HansMartin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

very nice clarification for a novice like me Smile thanks .
-Alex77-
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thorsten Pieper billet heads

58 Plastic Tub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

-Alex77- wrote:
Thorsten Pieper billet heads

Where does one obtain these heads? Please don't say "from Thorsten Pieper"-- I'm looking for contact information.

Thanks!
-Alex77-
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

Heads cost about 1800€ / pair, same as our billet heads in a near future.

Here is his email: [email protected]

Here are my upcoming billet heads, and more info:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=559956&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
Juanito84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drool Wow! Billet dual ignition heads! Drool
Too bad I don't have €1800. Crying or Very sad
Jake Raby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

People who favor conventional tuning and engine design simply cannot wrap their head around twin plug engines, their combinations and optimum tuning. When they try, they often fail. Instead of altering the combo they generally just say "it doesn't work" and then slam the technology.

It took us over a decade to come up with the optimum combinations. These are dramatically different than their single plug counterparts. I start at 11.25:1 CR with any twin plug engine.

In 2014 all of my engines will be twin plugged as standard offerings.

I love my 993 twin plug, vario-ram, daily driver!
"I've never given anyone Hell, I just told them the truth and they thought it was Hell"
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7

Jump to: