Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

weber 34 ICT intake installation question
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
onslowb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 6:46 pm    Post subject: weber 34 ICT intake installation question Reply with quote

What's the best way to install single port weber icts? I have the carbs bolted to the manifolds and in place on the engine with the intake nuts started but I can't figure out how I'm going to tighten them.... especially by the number 3 cylinder. Is there a trick to it or is it best to install the manifolds first and then the carbs.
fred69vert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I do is first get a 13mm crow's foot wrench. It's an open end that fits into a ratchet. Also have a LONG extension. First I install the intakes, then the carbs. The crow's foot (which looks like this)

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

allows you to get to the nuts where even a short socket and a universal joint won't reach. You can probably tighten the intakes with the carbs off using a socket and universal. You'll need the crow's foot for the carbs.

Also, get fiber gaskets for the intakes, and coat them with antisieze so they won't stick to the heads. Last time I had the engine out (to replace the trans) it was hell getting the gaskets off the heads. The fiber gaskets seal better than the stock metal ones when using aftermarket intakes.

1969 VW convertible, "Heidi"
onslowb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. Saved me tons of time. The instructions said to put carbs, manifolds and air cleaner bases on before mounting to the car. That made it impossible to tighten the manifold nuts with the engine in the car. Separating the carbs and manifolds and use of the crow's foot worked.
spectre6000
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use something like these:

http://vwparts.aircooled.net/ACN-Flanged-Racing-Intake-and-Exhaust-Nut-8-x-10mm-p/acn-nuts.htm

Same footprint as the 13mm nuts that are everywhere, and since there's clearance for the 13mm the smaller head allows you to fit a socket in places that would otherwise be pretty freaking difficult. They're not for high torque applications, but that's really not an issue with a VW engine. I use some 3/8" brass alloy nuts all over my intake and exhaust. It requires that I carry around a 3/8" socket, but it's a small price to pay for being able to get things on and off quickly.

-'58 German Market Deluxe Beetle (in progress)
-'84 M1009 CUCV
-'81 K10
"Buy the best, cry once." -Gene Berg
"A cheap man will always buy the cheapest thing available, and then buys another one hoping for a better result, and then spends the rest of his life in misery complaining about it. A thrifty man will buy a good part once and never think about it again." -RockCrusher
"Don't feed the Shitty Parts Monster!" -Me
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: