Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

I'm thinking a 412 automatic is in my future
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> 411/412 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ALLWAGONS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sgt_stumpy wrote:
I salute you sir!! I was hit by a drunk driver in 2003 and never fully recovered until I got back on the road on my VW Trike (auto trans) I lost my left leg near the hip. Dont let anything hold you back! I did and it almost killed me. Dont ever give up Brother!!

Stumpy

alltypesvw wrote:
You have never been comatose for two solid months and then lived with no memory for seven months. I am lucky that this is typed because I can't slur typing like I do with my speech. and I wasn't saying I was slow (though one psycologist said I lost a ton of IQ) I was saying that TBI takes a long long time to heal so healing is slow.

And I admire YOU Sir! One for being so positive and second for keeping the VW thing going!

I recycle old cars and parts, other than when I rot, that's as Green as I am going to get.

Thanks to my Tesla driving neighbors, I feel more relaxed driving my SUBURBAN and old VW's.

NON INFLUENCER APPROVED
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Rusty O'Toole
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The super beetle automatic stick shift might suit you. They have no clutch pedal and require minimal shifting. You can stick the gear lever in second and drive around town all day like an automatic. When you go out on the hiway drop it into high.

You can even drive around in high all day but it's kind of sluggish.

The transmission does not shift itself, the only disadvantage, the advantage is they are cheap and easy to find, being less popular than a stick shift beetle. They are also reliable.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But much much less reliable than the fully automatic transmission.
Type 3 autos late are identical to type 4 except for the dettachable section of the bell housing and the flex plate.
All of that bolts right on and off. The bell housing section can be taken from a bus automatic (which is a different differential but the same bell housing mating flange)...and bolted to a type 3 auto.
The earlier style type 3 auto will also bolt right up and work just the same as late type 3 and type 4....except that it has a different size CV joint (smaller than type 4). Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
alltypesvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 2:17 pm    Post subject: Learning is good Reply with quote

What I want and what I may need might be in two different worlds. I miss driving my manual transmission cars. Due to my injury I may never drive them again. It is not a clutch pedal problem, the problem is that right now I wouldn't be able to steer while shifting. I am attempting to make my left arm more capable of how it used to work. it doesn't even hang at my side because of how my injury worked without conciously thinking to have it down my left arm hangs bent at the elbow. I may ever be able to drive and shift at the same time. driving an auto stick in high sounds like what I may need to do my injury is why I was thinking a full automatic. heck sluggish isn't even an issue to me, even driving again would be big enough.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger Classifieds Feedback
alltypesvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 2:15 pm    Post subject: OK years have past Reply with quote

I'm doing a lot better now! I just want to keep my cars. Sure this is all being typed with one hand, I am getting excellent physical therapy and can now finish mazes with my left hand holding the pencil. I will be able to drive my manual transmission cars so I won't need an automatic car but figure I will start driving an automatic so I don't just drive clumsy and burn up clutch plates. I just need to store the two cars and have a thread about that in the Water-cooled forum.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger Classifieds Feedback
UltraSheen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 2:34 pm    Post subject: Re: OK years have past Reply with quote

alltypesvw wrote:
I'm doing a lot better now! I just want to keep my cars. Sure this is all being typed with one hand, I am getting excellent physical therapy and can now finish mazes with my left hand holding the pencil. I will be able to drive my manual transmission cars so I won't need an automatic car but figure I will start driving an automatic so I don't just drive clumsy and burn up clutch plates. I just need to store the two cars and have a thread about that in the Water-cooled forum.

Well done, and best of luck to you.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> 411/412 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: