Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Prospective engine build: 2007
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mikedrevguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 6:36 am    Post subject: Prospective engine build: 2007 Reply with quote

I'm looking at building a motor that's to be in 74 Super: will be daily driver, non-commuting (I live next door to work), the occasional weekend cruise to the coast, with monthly sojourn to the dragstrip. Here's what I'm looking at:
stock case opened for 90.5
40x35 heads to be p/p
heavy duty springs
78mm c/w crank with Porsche rods (spin balanced)
Scat C35 cam
kadrons (will talk with AJ about opening up the vents)
1.25 rockers w/chromoly pushrods

exhaust: standard? header into a big flange muffler
heaterboxes
36h fan shroud
aluminum valve covers vented (along with oil filler vent) to breather box
deep oil sump add on.

Anything that should be of concern here with the motor combinations?
Been lurking and reading am at that point where I'm going to start adding to the pile o'parts (notably the cam and crank) and want to know of any glaring incompatibilities.
thanks,
Rev.
69 Bwajaja
"The wise speak because they have something to say; while the foolish speak because they have to say something." Plato

Illigitimi non-Carborundum!!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DarthWeber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use dual valve springs, especially since you'll be using 1.25 rockers.

1 1/2" exhaust with 1 1/2" heater boxes if you really need them.

Kadrons can be made to work with a lot of massaging but a set of dual 40mm Webers or Dells would be better for your combo IMO.

010 distributor

Kennedy Stage 1 clutch.

Full flow the case.

With a 0.050" deck height keep your static CR between 8.5 - 8.9:1 and you'll run fine on premium gas.
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dump the Kads

It would be cheaper to use dual IDF's then modifying and remachining a set of Kads. When your done all you have is a set of Kads.
Featured in Dec. 2001 HOT VW's Magazine page 63

Watch my racing video's http://www.youtube.com/user/okvwracer/videos
Mikedrevguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the heads up: will add to the list of what's needed.

Rev.
69 Bwajaja
"The wise speak because they have something to say; while the foolish speak because they have to say something." Plato

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Arnolds64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 9:52 am    Post subject: Dragstrip/Daily Reply with quote

If you are going to only drive it a few blocks a day I would go more radical with the cam and all the pieces. The Cam, Cranks and Pistons do not cost more if you go larger. Maybe a 100.00 total at most but usually you can find it all for the same. I think your choice of the 90.5 pistons is fine but they say that 94's are not at all tougher to deal with in heat . I went really mild (Same specs as you are doing. Yes, it is mild.) because I built ours for my kids High School car and wanted it to be not crazy fast. I wished now I should have gone a little bigger on the stroke and maybe an Engle 120 cam or a C45. If you are going to stroke it, the case will have to be clearanced for the 78mm crank and normally they make it large enough to go to 84mm. I think Rimco is still doing it? An 82mm crank would be better for your needs. Sell the Porsche Rods and go regular VW length or even aftermarket 5.5's. I got a great deal on my 5.5 H beams and so I tried them and I think they would be perfect with the 82 stroke. Less angle through the stroke lets it rev easy and I think it is probably easier on the engine reducing heat? Ours seems to really pull from 3000 up but is also very torquey. Speaking of the C35. It is like the 110 Engle which is really only good to under 6000 rpm. If you are going tp drag race it I think you would be happier with something that will let it spin much higher. If you have to be "Mr Kadron" then I would go the largest motor you can for torque since you will be limited on the high end with the Kads. (Not enough air) As mentioned the IDFs would work better. And again larger with them is also good. I bought my 40's because my Bug was a 1641 originally. After strooking it I went to 34 vents in my 40's an the 44's start there. Why go 40's and have to spend more for the vents?

Good luck. I would go to the ragged edge big as you can go like a 2276 and it will still be able to drive to the coast. I would definitely go with and Oil cooler for that run in mind. Just safety. Mine ran a little warm and I finally conceded after tuning it and tuning it. You will get guys telling you, you don't need it but it is much easier to do before you put the engine back in. I would do it no matter what from the get go.
64 Bug, White, 2017, Dual Weber 44's, Engle 130/Engle lifters, Home P&P'd 40X35 heads, CB 4340 nitrided crank, Eagle knock off H Beam 5.5" rods, Lowering Beam, Rancho Trans, Traction Bar. 225X60's rear, 145's front on Porsche Chrome Nipple Wheels.
Mikedrevguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just an update on the progress - or maybe a touch of venting -
purchased the bearings, .20/standard/standard - went to put the mains on yesterday only to discover there was a significant mar/groove that prevented it from sliding over the crank as silky smooth as it should have. -
returned/replaced today, only to find that the new set had casting nipples left on the contact surface. I did check while at the shop, so went to a third set and these seemed to be sufficiently smooth. Hope so.
Piece-parts coming together, might make the opening night at Champion raceway in April - if not to run, at least to BE there.
more to come
69 Bwajaja

Arnolds64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:51 am    Post subject: Gettin it together! Reply with quote

Sounds like it is coming along. I think you will really like the stroker power. It is really different. You will find that you can actually run in 4th gear at 35 and accelerated without downshifting. Have you decide on the crank size yet and all?
64 Bug, White, 2017, Dual Weber 44's, Engle 130/Engle lifters, Home P&P'd 40X35 heads, CB 4340 nitrided crank, Eagle knock off H Beam 5.5" rods, Lowering Beam, Rancho Trans, Traction Bar. 225X60's rear, 145's front on Porsche Chrome Nipple Wheels.
DarthWeber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rev, don't get frustrated, we've all been there. That's about par for the course with today's parts quality. At least you are keeping at it and progressing. Give us a parts update. Are you still going with Kadrons? C35?? Inquireing minds want to know!! Wink
Hotrodvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a similar combo to my 2007. Lose the Kads.......BAD idea. Wink

78x94 with IDA's....oober fun

Horsepower is an addiction........Addictions cost
lots of money!

Hose & Fittings
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mikedrevguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the encouragement, not frustrated - just Confused that's all.
not much has changed from original.
sorry Eric, todate still planning on the Kads. - I think you've got the fk-89? - I believe that with biger valves, you've got me there, but . . .

I've got jets and venturies ordered - have the bigbore intakes - when get $$ will bump out the throttle bodies. we'll see where we end up.

but do still have the C-35 in the mix with a 78mm crank.
heads have new valves, valve seats lapped. they came back as 40/32's so, not sure how that's going to effect; we'll do an inhouse light P&P, match them up as best to the intakes and exhaust.
ordered the p/c today from chico - AA 90.5 B.
and picked up his 8mm stud kit.
really, I've got everything to get it put together. went with thickwall JayCee pushrods - and am planning to go with the 1.25's, but there's that soft voice in the back ground saying: 1.4, go with the 1.4. Will the 1.4's work with the C-35? I'm running double springs.

Tony from Garagebilt here in Phoenix is MOST helpful wading through the building process. Hopefully come time for opening weekend at Champion in Medford, we'll have a couple of Garagebilt engines to run down the track.
hopefully by Easter we'll have the motor up and living - at least for break-in.
hey, if anybody's in the area April 16 - that's the opening of the test n'Tune at Champion in Medford.
And then may14 is the next nights we'll be down there with the Shine N' Show Car show sponsored by 1stPCPhoenix and Garagebilt on Saturday May 15. The church's proceeds going to the Community Kitchen (offering free meal 2xmonth to those finding themselves with that need.)
swing on by - hopefully have a good array of cars to view.
69 Bwajaja

ALB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The general consensus is you can get away with 1.25 rockers with the C35 (it was engineered to work with 1.1's) but 1.4's is too much. It'll run that way for a while, but it will eventually let you down.
Mikedrevguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks ALB - I seemed to remember that the 1.4s were a bit much.
we'll keep y'all informed as the next couple weeks unfold. Very Happy
69 Bwajaja

Hotrodvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I run a FK-7, w/ 1.4's.

lots of money!

Hose & Fittings
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mikedrevguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eric, I stand corrected Embarassed
69 Bwajaja

Hotrodvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm excited to see this come together. WHen you get it running and are looking for more power, Webers or Dells should be next on the list. They are a 'performance' carburetor. I think you'll really enjoy this motor..... I know I've enjoyed mine. BTW......I will be at the Fri. night drags on the 16th. Very Happy

lots of money!

Hose & Fittings
Mikedrevguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweet - great to see you on the 16th. and I can only imagine you're a bit giddy to run the new turbo down the 1/4mile? I've seen the pics on SOVW - and it looks amazing - nice and tidy and clean.
can't wait to see it run.
69 Bwajaja

Hotrodvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To say I'm anxious is a severe under statement. Cool

lots of money!

Hose & Fittings
jamestwo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the 78mm and "B" pistons, you are going to have too much deck height. Especially with the shorter porsche rods.

My rough math says you will a deck height of ~5.5mm.

If you run an "A" piston, you will have a motor 7mm wider than stock, requiring ~3.5mm shim under each barrel.

What Pistons are you planning on using/ have you already bought this crank and rods?

My best suggestion is to run a 82mm crank, with stock VW length rod, but with a chevy journal. This will be the easiest stroker to build IMHO.
DarthWeber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

40 x 32mm valves?? Could be a problem there with heat in the heads. That's why the valves are matched up in sizes, 35.5 x 32, 40 x 35.5, 42 x 37.5, etc. Your first post said you were going with 40 x 35.5's.
Mikedrevguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

James,
yeah, have the crank/rods -
b -pistons ordered and on way - AA 90.5's

and will be checking on the heads -- thanks for the insights/perspective - and for watching out.
rev.
69 Bwajaja

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 1 of 9

Jump to: