Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

2110cc horsepower?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
catbox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mightymouse wrote:
catbox wrote:
to reduce some of the temps in the chamber couldnt you have the chambers valve faces and exhaust port thermal barrier coated?

wouldnt that put the "to hot" ideas to rest and help keep the heat where it needs to be, as in the gasses routed to the tailpipe...

def sweet idea. To keep from any hot spots pre igniting the fuel.
Whats the latest known success with that stuff? been a while since i looked into it.

http://www.swaintech.com/

this is the place that i have found some information on the coatings. while not exactly inexpensive they are definatly an idea for an all out street/race motor.

i plan on saving my couch coins to be able to pay for there services when i build my next big motor.
Jimmy111
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Combustion chamber coatings are not a good Idea for most gasoline engines.
Again Ill say that the Autoignition temperature of gasoline is 496F. If you did not have the heat loss during compression you would have detonation and preignition problems at a 4-1 compression ratio.
These coatings claim that they keep the heat in the cylinder where it will provide more energy. But you need the heat loss to operate the motor properly. Because of the heat losses to the cylinder head you can have much higher compression ratios and so higher efficiency and power generation. Look closely at that video that I posted. It shows clearly that the cooler cylinder head does not ignite the F/A mixture. But the warmer piston does.
However if you had a diesel or a direct injection gasoline engine, these coatings would be great and allow for more efficiency and power generation.

And again Ill say that you just plain cant use 10-1 CR on a ACVW engine. I know that people do do it and claim that their engines run fine. But this is only because they are doing something else wrong like a pig rich F/A mixture or a high back pressure exhaust system causing too much reversion or some other similar mistake.
mightymouse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jimmy111 wrote:

And again Ill say that you just plain cant use 10-1 CR on a ACVW engine. I know that people do do it and claim that their engines run fine. But this is only because they are doing something else wrong like a pig rich F/A mixture or a high back pressure exhaust system causing too much reversion or some other similar mistake.

Well ill be damned, guess ive been a retard since about 1995. huh, all these years i didnt know a damn thing. sucks for me, Laughing

Dude, Ive been being very nice, and very reserved in this thread. But you just employed a steam shovel to help you dig the hole your in.

So.... did all of jake raby's tests, and all the info hes compiled, all his motors being set at 10 to 1, him debunking the low compression myth, and everything thats been proven by the world about dynamic CR and cam matching just blow right on by your house?
How could you state what you did above, knowing youd be completely wrong?
I am at this point, lost as to what i should say to you.

Stock 1600s came at 7.7 to 1
Add any cam, and they are dogs. Then bump the compression a point, and wow! the power is back.

If that sentence above doesnt explain it all, i dont know what will.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Note to EVERYONE.
Know your ZDDP levels or you WILL lose a cam and lifters.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EPETREA
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

uh.. could the fact that type 4's are more aluminum than magneseum explain the fact that they are able to handle and like a higher temp?? Type 4s are not the same as type 1's obviously!!! apples and oranges.

Why is so much time being spent on the CR when there are plenty of other miscues in his engine combo. NOBODY is going to change their opinion on it so move on.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jimmy111
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mightymouse wrote:
Jimmy111 wrote:

Well ill be damned, guess ive been a retard since about 1995. huh, all these years i didnt know a damn thing. sucks for me, Laughing

Dude, Ive been being very nice, and very reserved in this thread. But you just employed a steam shovel to help you dig the hole your in.

So.... did all of jake raby's tests, and all the info hes compiled, all his motors being set at 10 to 1, him debunking the low compression myth, and everything thats been proven by the world about dynamic CR and cam matching just blow right on by your house?

Add any cam, and they are dogs. Then bump the compression a point, and wow! the power is back.

Ok If you feel that way. Very Happy
mightymouse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jimmy111 wrote:
mightymouse wrote:
Jimmy111 wrote:

Ok If you feel that way. Very Happy

Laughing nice. touche. LOL

Note to EVERYONE.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mightymouse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EPETREA wrote:
uh.. could the fact that type 4's are more aluminum than magneseum explain the fact that they are able to handle and like a higher temp?? Type 4s are not the same as type 1's obviously!!! apples and oranges.

Why is so much time being spent on the CR when there are plenty of other miscues in his engine combo. NOBODY is going to change their opinion on it so move on.

Guess you missed all his type1 tests?

Note to EVERYONE.
EPETREA
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well golly gee wiz beave!! I guess I did. Only thing I remember about his opinion on type 1's was the lack of quality parts in the aftermarket. I see he is back to selling kits so maybe he changed his mind.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jeff68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I thought I’d chime in with my engine combination, my experience and results with it. My engine is a 82 X 90.5 (2110cc). It has CNC / hand ported 42 X 37.5 CB 044 heads match ported intakes that were ported up to the carburetor flange. The engine uses a K10 cam, 48 Ida’s, 1 5/8 merged header, full flow oiling, 3 ½ qt. Sump, Stinger S4 ignition, all german cooling tin with compression set at 8:1. Yep 8:1. It runs fantastic, never overheats, is very responsive, no flat spots, no overheating in traffic or freeway, easy to start hot or cold, drive it anywhere on 92 Octane pump gas. My engine was built to be primarily street and hwy driven with occasional track trips and to be run on gas station pump gas.

My engine uses Carillo Porshe length rods, and a real forged 82mm crank. IMO if you use a quality crank and rods you will not have the piston side loading problems you hear some talk about. What you do get is an engine that will generate more torque throughout the rpm range if your induction system is matched and the engine is tuned properly.

The static compression is set at 8:1 and the engine runs fantastic. If my engine runs this good why do I need more compression. There is such a thing as a great running “Low Compression” Air Cooled VW performance engine. I thought about running more compression but after researching this I don’t think it’s a good idea. Do your research. Contact a fuel representative and discuss your application and ask what compression they recommend for a specific Octane. To get a little technical, any fuel has thermodynamic properties that are affected by temperature at a given pressure. Octane is a measure of a fuels resistance to burn at a given pressure and temperature. You can do things with the combustion shape and configuration to optimize the burning of the fuel but this DOES NOT have anything to do with the Octane of the fuel you are burning in that chamber. Think about that for a minute. Chamber shape and configuration DOES NOT change the thermodynamic properties of the fuel (Octane doesn’t change). Automotive engineers have been studying combustion chamber shape and configuration for a long time and if there was a magic combustion chamber design that allowed the use of lower Octane fuels with higher compression ratios believe me they would be using it as this would be FREE HORSEPOWER. If there is a head porter in a small VW shop that has found this shape / configuration they are severely short changing themselves and could be making millions working for an Automaker.

My $0.02. Do your research, talk to reputable, experienced VW engine builders about what you’re trying to do / achieve and make intelligent choices. Don’t just roll the dice and hope for the best, use your head.
Stripped66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jeff68 wrote:
Octane is a measure of a fuels resistance to burn at a given pressure and temperature. You can do things with the combustion shape and configuration to optimize the burning of the fuel but this DOES NOT have anything to do with the Octane of the fuel you are burning in that chamber. Think about that for a minute. Chamber shape and configuration DOES NOT change the thermodynamic properties of the fuel (Octane doesn’t change).

Combustion chamber shape and configuration doesn't change the physical properties of the fuel, but combustion chamber shape and configuration does change the thermodynamics of the combustion event. If you cannot grasp this concept, then you have no business discussion this topic, let alone using the word "thermodynamic" in a sentence.

Quote:

Automotive engineers have been studying combustion chamber shape and configuration for a long time and if there was a magic combustion chamber design that allowed the use of lower Octane fuels with higher compression ratios believe me they would be using it as this would be FREE HORSEPOWER.

Are you completely ignorant to modern engine technology? How do you remotely comprehend how a modern pushrod engine, like the LS7 in the Corvette, can run 11:1 compression ratio on pump gas with a cam that has less duration than an Engle 110?

Seriously, if you're going to ignore combustion chamber configuration and shape, then you completely ignore the physical environment in which the combustion of gasoline takes place. If you were to slap on a set of late 80's L89 aluminum heads onto that LS7 engine, changing nothing else, there's no way you could run 11:1 CR without detonation. So, why can GM engineers get away with it on the current LS7? The octane in premium fuels sure as hell hasn't changed over the last 20 years. The shape and configuration of the combustion chamber contributes GREATLY to how a fuel of a given octane reacts to different compression ratios.

Experience?

2276, 12.0:1 CR, cam had 258 degrees of duration @ 0.050". Engine ran cool as a cucumber over 5000 daily-driven miles in the heat of Las Vegas. I tore it down because I wanted more power.

Now that 2276 has 9.0:1 CR, cam has 248 degrees of duration @ 0.050", turbocharged. Still daily driving it (now in the DC area).

Both engines run pump gas. So, what's the difference? My combustion chamber shape looks absolutely nothing like yours.

It's the same argument time after time. If you're going to stick to your cookie-cutter engines, then stick to your guns and don't deviate from the plan the man sold you. But don't pontificate that YOUR limitations are OUR limitations. If you actually grow a pair, think outside of the box and begin to understand what's going on, then it will not only work on paper, but it will work in application. I didn't come up with my combustion chamber shape or piston design, but the folks who did certainly knew what was going on and were able to explain it well enough for me to comprehend and understand why it works, and *more importantly* DO IT.

For the most part, I've grown tired of this antiquated, close-minded community. I'm to the point where I don't bother even sharing my engine combo with folks just so I avoid the stares of disbelief or incomprehension because they ultimately do not understand one iota of the dogma they personally believe and perpetuate. If you're gonna run a set of flat-tops with the combustion chamber that was in your heads when you pulled them out of the box, by all means, take the CR advice of the guy who sold you the parts.

I don't think electrickery works that way
Jimmy111
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

An LS7 is a totally different animal than a vw head. It has everything right going for it.
1. Spark plug in the right place and angle.
2. Well generated and directed swirl.
3. The exposed area of the combustion chamber is very small
4. Direct port fuel injection.(very important)
5. the way the intake port is designed it cools a good 50% of the exposed combustion chamber surface.
6. Exhaust port directly exits the head. very little heat gain.

And of course it is water cooled.

None of this applies to a VW head.

As Stripped66 said. The octane rating has little to do with the preignition problems. It is just an old antique cylinder head design that is not very efficient that causes all the problems.
Stripped66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jimmy111 wrote:
An LS7 is a totally different animal than a vw head. It has everything right going for it.

The point wasn't to compare the LS7 to the VW head; the point was to debunk the notion that the "octane is what it is, and you can't do anything to the combustion chamber to change that." Automotive engineers ARE advancing the limits through combustion chamber design...that's the reason why I added the L98 head for comparison (the L98 vs. LS7 would be an apples-to-apples comparison; that's why I was not comparing the LS7 to the VW head). The combustion chambers between the LS7 and L98 head are completely different; likewise, changing nothing else but the heads, the L98 head could not survive at the CR possible with the LS7.

And on the point of the VW head, yes it's an antiquated design. But it doesn't mean that it's fully developed in the least. Few people in this hobby have undertaken the task of developing the VW head to its fullest potential.

jeff68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stripped 66: I have a very thorough understanding of thermodynamics and of the chemical reaction that’s taking place in the combustion chamber. I did very well in these courses as well as applying what I learned in real world applications. Combustion chamber shape has NOTHING to do with the thermodynamic properties of a specific Octane of fuel. That’s the laws of physics talking not me. The Octane of the fuel doesn’t change in the combustion chamber. Re-read my comment(s), don’t misunderstand, and if you like, study the subject and re-educate yourself.

I worked for an automotive supplier who designed and manufactured sensors for modern automobiles, specifically, knock sensors, and we developed related engine monitoring and control technology. As previously stated, A computer controlled water cooled engine that is basically monitored and controlled by a programmed by an ECU to optimize fuel mixture & delivery, ignition timing, as well as knock sensing while running is a very different thing than a carbureted air cooled VW engine. It's is an Apples and Oranges comparison. If you want to discuss the design differences between the cylinder heads on the L89 and Chevy LS7’s and their design it might be better to do that on another forum. And really, In short even the L89 and LS7 in the Corvette are vastly different in more ways than the cylinder heads, again apples to oranges. The differences between the LS7 and the L89 go much further in depth than the cylinder heads so it’s difficult to do an apples to apples comparison by just swapping the heads. Why is it people like to bring in Chevy engine comparisons with a VW engine? I wonder what would happen if you started comparing an air-cooled VW with a small block Chevy on a Chevy performance forum, that would be interesting I'm sure.....

Don’t misunderstand my post. All I did was post my engine configuration and state that it runs fantastic with low compression. If you have success with your combination great for you, but please don’t take shots at me because you disagree. As far as my engine being cookie cutter, from what I read on this and other forums, most engines I see are running MORE compression and different cam timing so maybe they are cookie cutter combinations? I made my own decisions based on my own knowledge and experience and I have excellent results as a result of it. If it’s contrary to how you chose to do things, what’s wrong with that? I don’t know what this “grow a pair” comment is all about but I’m pretty sure I have a pair and I “know what’s going on”. I do what I think is best, am not afraid to make my own decisions, stand behind them, and voice my opinions for people to use as they may . My combination works and I’m proud of it. Is it ground breaking - no, has it been done before- sure, but it works really well and that was my other point.
jeff68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stripped 66: Were you talking about the Chevy L89 head or L98? In one post you referenced the L89 and the other the L98.
Stripped66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jeff68 wrote:
Combustion chamber shape has NOTHING to do with the thermodynamic properties of a specific Octane of fuel.

The "thermodynamic properties" of fuel and the "thermodynamics of combustion" are two different things. Since you've taken the coursework, you're aware of this and you understand how combustion chamber shape contributes to the thermodynamics of combustion.

mightymouse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stripped66 wrote:
jeff68 wrote:
Octane is a measure of a fuels resistance to burn at a given pressure and temperature. You can do things with the combustion shape and configuration to optimize the burning of the fuel but this DOES NOT have anything to do with the Octane of the fuel you are burning in that chamber. Think about that for a minute. Chamber shape and configuration DOES NOT change the thermodynamic properties of the fuel (Octane doesn’t change).

Combustion chamber shape and configuration doesn't change the physical properties of the fuel, but combustion chamber shape and configuration does change the thermodynamics of the combustion event. If you cannot grasp this concept, then you have no business discussion this topic, let alone using the word "thermodynamic" in a sentence.

Quote:

Automotive engineers have been studying combustion chamber shape and configuration for a long time and if there was a magic combustion chamber design that allowed the use of lower Octane fuels with higher compression ratios believe me they would be using it as this would be FREE HORSEPOWER.

Are you completely ignorant to modern engine technology? How do you remotely comprehend how a modern pushrod engine, like the LS7 in the Corvette, can run 11:1 compression ratio on pump gas with a cam that has less duration than an Engle 110?

Seriously, if you're going to ignore combustion chamber configuration and shape, then you completely ignore the physical environment in which the combustion of gasoline takes place. If you were to slap on a set of late 80's L89 aluminum heads onto that LS7 engine, changing nothing else, there's no way you could run 11:1 CR without detonation. So, why can GM engineers get away with it on the current LS7? The octane in premium fuels sure as hell hasn't changed over the last 20 years. The shape and configuration of the combustion chamber contributes GREATLY to how a fuel of a given octane reacts to different compression ratios.

Experience?

2276, 12.0:1 CR, cam had 258 degrees of duration @ 0.050". Engine ran cool as a cucumber over 5000 daily-driven miles in the heat of Las Vegas. I tore it down because I wanted more power.

Now that 2276 has 9.0:1 CR, cam has 248 degrees of duration @ 0.050", turbocharged. Still daily driving it (now in the DC area).

Both engines run pump gas. So, what's the difference? My combustion chamber shape looks absolutely nothing like yours.

It's the same argument time after time. If you're going to stick to your cookie-cutter engines, then stick to your guns and don't deviate from the plan the man sold you. But don't pontificate that YOUR limitations are OUR limitations. If you actually grow a pair, think outside of the box and begin to understand what's going on, then it will not only work on paper, but it will work in application. I didn't come up with my combustion chamber shape or piston design, but the folks who did certainly knew what was going on and were able to explain it well enough for me to comprehend and understand why it works, and *more importantly* DO IT.

For the most part, I've grown tired of this antiquated, close-minded community. I'm to the point where I don't bother even sharing my engine combo with folks just so I avoid the stares of disbelief or incomprehension because they ultimately do not understand one iota of the dogma they personally believe and perpetuate. If you're gonna run a set of flat-tops with the combustion chamber that was in your heads when you pulled them out of the box, by all means, take the CR advice of the guy who sold you the parts.

Applause
Nice to see someone who gets whats going on. Our sentiments are exact.

Note to EVERYONE.
mightymouse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jeff68 wrote:
Stripped 66: I have a very thorough understanding of thermodynamics and of the chemical reaction that’s taking place in the combustion chamber. I did very well in these courses as well as applying what I learned in real world applications. Combustion chamber shape has NOTHING to do with the thermodynamic properties of a specific Octane of fuel. That’s the laws of physics talking not me. The Octane of the fuel doesn’t change in the combustion chamber. Re-read my comment(s), don’t misunderstand, and if you like, study the subject and re-educate yourself.

I worked for an automotive supplier who designed and manufactured sensors for modern automobiles, specifically, knock sensors, and we developed related engine monitoring and control technology. As previously stated, A computer controlled water cooled engine that is basically monitored and controlled by a programmed by an ECU to optimize fuel mixture & delivery, ignition timing, as well as knock sensing while running is a very different thing than a carbureted air cooled VW engine. It's is an Apples and Oranges comparison. If you want to discuss the design differences between the cylinder heads on the L89 and Chevy LS7’s and their design it might be better to do that on another forum. And really, In short even the L89 and LS7 in the Corvette are vastly different in more ways than the cylinder heads, again apples to oranges. The differences between the LS7 and the L89 go much further in depth than the cylinder heads so it’s difficult to do an apples to apples comparison by just swapping the heads. Why is it people like to bring in Chevy engine comparisons with a VW engine? I wonder what would happen if you started comparing an air-cooled VW with a small block Chevy on a Chevy performance forum, that would be interesting I'm sure.....

Don’t misunderstand my post. All I did was post my engine configuration and state that it runs fantastic with low compression. If you have success with your combination great for you, but please don’t take shots at me because you disagree. As far as my engine being cookie cutter, from what I read on this and other forums, most engines I see are running MORE compression and different cam timing so maybe they are cookie cutter combinations? I made my own decisions based on my own knowledge and experience and I have excellent results as a result of it. If it’s contrary to how you chose to do things, what’s wrong with that? I don’t know what this “grow a pair” comment is all about but I’m pretty sure I have a pair and I “know what’s going on”. I do what I think is best, am not afraid to make my own decisions, stand behind them, and voice my opinions for people to use as they may . My combination works and I’m proud of it. Is it ground breaking - no, has it been done before- sure, but it works really well and that was my other point.

The one thing you obviously missed, in all those courses. is dynamic vs static compression. Hence all the BS you just typed.
You need to look at it again. You can run an engle 110 in xxx motor, and 9 to 1 static CR, and have 7.8 to 1 dynamic CR. You can then put an FK89 in the same engine and guess what, you now need 13 to 1 static CR to achieve the same 7.8 to 1 dynamic. yes these two engines will run very differently, but the thing wouldnt explode if you ran it on 91.
Thats what we are trying to get acrossed.
YOUR 2110 may run OK to you, but most of us dont like knowing we have a 7000 dollar engine that makes 90 hp.
I can take your 2110, build it in my shop, and it will make 175 and be daily driveable on pump gas. When you hit the throttle, you call me and say... 7K was worth every penny. buyers remorse is gone.
See what we are saying now? nobody is trying to reinvent the wheel, just spread knowledge thats been out a LONG time. The rest of the world knows, pro engine builders of every other type of engine know, cam grinders know, yet 90% of aircooled builders think 7 or 8 to 1 is the ticket.
NOT.
But now your seeing a shift. Pump gas shootouts, people pushing stuff hard, better heads, better parts, more experience. And the low CR days are going the wayside. We are just helping to kick its ass off the cliff. Wink

Note to EVERYONE.
jeff68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My engine already made 172 horsepower set up the way it is. Like I explained, it runs fantastic the way it is. I'm completely aware of the differences in dynamic and static compression. I'm sure your engine will or does run on 91 Octane and so does mine. Take care.
mightymouse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jeff68 wrote:
My engine already made 172 horsepower set up the way it is. Like I explained, it runs fantastic the way it is. I'm completely aware of the differences in dynamic and static compression. I'm sure your engine will or does run on 91 Octane and so does mine. Take care.

Thats a damn nice number. props to that. You can do it, that much is clear as ive seen the bergs do it for my entire life. But there are more ways to cook a goose than one, that much we both know. Smile

Note to EVERYONE.
Stripped66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stripped66 wrote:
jeff68 wrote:
Combustion chamber shape has NOTHING to do with the thermodynamic properties of a specific Octane of fuel.

The "thermodynamic properties" of fuel and the "thermodynamics of combustion" are two different things. Since you've taken the coursework, you're aware of this and you understand how combustion chamber shape contributes to the thermodynamics of combustion.

For the purpose of differentiating these concepts, let's say that for a given octane of fuel, the "thermodynamic properties" dictate the energy of activation required to oxidize the fuel (combustion). That energy of activation is a function of pressure and temperature. So, with that knowledge, we must be able to say, "for XXX cylinder head temperature, YYY pressure is going to combust the air/fuel." That statement may hold true for a controlled experiment, but it ignores the thermodynamics of the all 4 engine cycles INSIDE the combustion chamber.

Furthermore, to apply that logic to ANY combustion chamber design, we are making assumptions that:
1) the temperature throughout the combustion chamber is homogenous.
2) the pressure throughout the combustion chamber (even at a given crank position) is homogeneous.
3) the air/fuel ratio of the air/fuel mixture throughout the combustion chamber is homogeneous.

None of these assumptions are true. We may think we know the "cylinder head temperature", but there are hot and cold spots throughout the combustion chamber. We may think we know the "cylinder pressure", but there are regions of high and low pressure throughout the combustion chamber. And we may think we know the "air/fuel ratio", but there are regions within the chamber where the air/fuel ratio is rich, and regions where it is lean.

The thermodynamics of combustion critically depend on the combustion chamber shape and configuration, as that affects the homogeneity of temperature, pressure, and air/fuel ratio. The problem is hot-spots, high-pressure regions, and poor air/fuel mix resulting from a given chamber design, whereas a different chamber design may not exhibit those same problems even if the compression ratio is unchanged.

Would I try 12.0:1 CR with flat-top pistons and a typical VW chamber on pump gas? Not even to prove a point. But with the right piston and chamber shape/configuration, it runs just fine.

Jeff, the whole point of using the Chevy comparison was because you said this:

jeff68 wrote:

Well, if we weren't allowed to address this blatant piece of BS using ACTUAL EXAMPLES OF AUTOMOTIVE ENGINEERING, then maybe you should've clarified that your statement only applies to air-cooled VWs (in which case, you'd still be wrong).

Automotive engineers are still advancing the design of combustion chambers so that they CAN run higher compression ratios on the octane of available pump-gas, thus designing engines that produce more power and/or have greater efficiency. As long as ~70% of the potential energy of combustion is converted into heat instead of kinetic energy, engineers are going to continue to search for the MAGIC combustion chamber. Chevy's a great example because they are still dumping lots of development into push-rod designs (as opposed to making a 4-valve cylinder head comparison). And if you still think the LS7 vs. L89 comparison is apples-and-oranges, then compare the open chamber of the L89 to the compact chamber of the fast-burn heads on the ZZ4. Again, the difference in combustion chamber shape allows the two respective heads to tolerate different CR on the same octane fuel.

mightymouse wrote:
The one thing you obviously missed, in all those courses. is dynamic vs static compression. Hence all the BS you just typed.
You need to look at it again. You can run an engle 110 in xxx motor, and 9 to 1 static CR, and have 7.8 to 1 dynamic CR. You can then put an FK89 in the same engine and guess what, you now need 13 to 1 static CR to achieve the same 7.8 to 1 dynamic. yes these two engines will run very differently, but the thing wouldnt explode if you ran it on 91.
Thats what we are trying to get acrossed.

The static vs. dynamics compression ratio comparison is good start to form an understanding of how the valve events play a role in cylinder pressure. But the problem with "dynamic compression ratio" calculated simply from knowing cylinder volume at the crank position when the intake valve closes, is that we do not know how much air is actually in the chamber. True "dynamic compression ratio" is the static compression ratio multiplied by volumetric efficiency (VE: the % of the cylinder volume that was filled during the intake event). Mere mortals rarely achieve 100% VE in a normally aspirated build, and very high-performance engines can achieve and exceed 100% VE in N/A trim; of course, it is quite easy to exceed 100% VE with forced induction.

The point I'm making is that using the "dynamic compression ratio" based on valve timing ignores the fact that an engine's VE changes throughout the RPM range, regardless if it's even capable of achieving 100% VE. The simplification of "dynamic compression ratio" by accounting for the cam timing works to an extent because (generalization) long-duration cams typically have low VE at low-mid RPMs, as compared to short-duration cams. Even if that FK89 is 13:1 static and 7.8:1 on this cam-timing-dependent dynamic CR, what happens when you slap on a set of killer heads and the stars align, perfect induction and exhaust give you 100% VE? Well, now your actual compression ratio IS 13:1. Is that a bad thing? It can be, all things considered...and that includes TIME (hey, we are talking about dynamics, right?), which becomes in short supply at the RPMs required for high VEs. But how many engines also get away with high static CR simply because their heads and induction never flow well enough to achieve high VE's, or even high enough VE's at lower RPMs for detonation to be an issue?

Anyway, there's so many factors involved that somebody simply can't look at the engine combo on paper and tell you what your specific limit is. Until you push up to the threshold and back off will you know the limit of your own engine combo...and somebody else establishing that limit for their own engine combo doesn't mean it remotely applies to my engine combo.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: