Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Distributor timing
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
rseasy1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 4:34 am    Post subject: Distributor timing Reply with quote

Hi all
I have a freshly built 1776 ,Trying to find out the distributor timing setting
,Seen a lot about cam timing but never seen anything on setting the distributor timing.
Here’s what I have .
9.0 compression ratio
IDF 40 carb stock 1600 crank .
Pertronics electronic module
Resistor plug wires.
As of now the timing is set at 32 degrees on a Scat C - 35 cam.
It seems to run good but would like to try a bit more advance on the timing.
If any one has input on ware to set the timing please chime in.
Tried to contact Scat by phone and email, Guess there tech. Help
Is none existent or a joke.
This is in my dune buggy.
Thanks in advance
Rob
Chapter 618
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 4:52 am    Post subject: Re: Distributor timing Reply with quote

Exact timing is a very hard one to pin anyone down on. There are so many variables, you have mentioned some but there are many many more. I don't have the answer either as I am also still trying to find that "ideal" timing for my Buggy engine. The best you will get on here is some "rule of thumb" answers that are a starting point.

I have been looking at some timing maps on here and on another forum and wow! They are all over the place!
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 5:35 am    Post subject: Re: Distributor timing Reply with quote

rseasy1 wrote:
Pertronics electronic module
Rob

Which distributor and carb(s)?

If it's mechanical then set it to 28=32* BTDC @ 3500rpm.

If it's vacuum/mechanical then disconnect the vacuum hose, plug the carb port then set it 28-32* BTDC @ 3500rpm.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rseasy1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 5:49 am    Post subject: Re: Distributor timing Reply with quote

I run mine at 32 now I have had it set as high as 36 with no pinging
Running a mechanical advance. I realize rebuilt and modified engines are all different factory or recommend specs are a good starting point .
Just have to play with things to see Ware it runs happily at.
I’m a retired diesel mechanic with well over 30 years experience on all types of engines gas and diesel. But company’s cannot give you a definitive spec on
Something like timing on after market cams because of all the various applications. I think I will work with it between 32 / 36 degrees.
And see what I come up with.
Thanks Rob.
Chapter 618
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 6:30 am    Post subject: Re: Distributor timing Reply with quote

The weight of the car, combustion chamber shape, altitude and fuel quality come into it too.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: