Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Timing question
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jrob83046
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 9:06 am    Post subject: Timing question Reply with quote

A friend of mine has a 73 beetle. Has a larger crank and some kind of a cam. It has a 009 distributor, 34 pic carb. Has has a lot of trouble making it run. He told me he static timed it at 10btdc. He said when he cranks it it idles at 30 degrees btdc but runs fine. What could cause this. He changed the distributor. When it was idling the timing was jumping around. Someone told him it was the distributor so he changed it along with the coil. Any suggestions. Thanks
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: Timing question Reply with quote

jrob83046 wrote:
It has a 009 distributor

You time a 009 to 28-32* BTDC @ 2500rpm

jrob83046 wrote:
Has a larger crank and some kind of a cam. It has a 009 distributor, 34 pic carb. Has has a lot of trouble making it run.

A few things:

Larger crank and cam? Can you be specific?

A 34PICT-3 on a stroker engine with a cam is like running a marathon wearing a gas mask.

A 009 is a very bad match to a 34PICT-3.

Sounds like someone has a really bad engine combo.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
StefansBus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: Timing question Reply with quote

Not nearly enough information. A 009 can run ok with a 34 PICT.

A friend has a 1776 with a 39 PICT and runs a 123 dizzy without vacuum advance and he is very happy with it.

Hang said that, we need to know bore/stroke and cam as a minimum. Glenn is right that too much cam doesn't work well with a single carb. But something like a W100 for example could work ok.

It's also strange that a static timing of 10 degrees BTDC should result in 30 degrees BTDC at idle. Something is very wrong. You write he changed the distributor. Is it still doing the same? If so, then I suspect there is a problem with how he measures his timing.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 12:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Timing question Reply with quote

The engine has a 286 duration cam or larger, and the 34-3 carburetor won't idle with that much overlap.

Please do NOT send me Private Messages through the Samba PM System (I will not see them). Send me an e-mail to john at aircooled dot net

"Like" our Facebook page at
http://www.facebook.com/vwpartsaircoolednet
and get a 5% off code for use on one order for VW Parts ON OUR PARTS STORE WEBSITE, vwparts.aircooled.net

Last edited by [email protected] on Sun May 19, 2019 8:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
StefansBus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 1:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Timing question Reply with quote

So it "idles" at 2500 RPM? That would explain the ignition advance at "idle".... Rolling Eyes

On the other hand: 276 degrees is what a W100 and a CB2239 have and those idle ok with a 34 PICT. In fact mine idles perfectly at around 950 RPM with a CB2239.
ekacpuc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 2:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Timing question Reply with quote

StefansBus wrote:
So it "idles" at 2500 RPM? That would explain the ignition advance at "idle".... Rolling Eyes

On the other hand: 276 degrees is what a W100 and a CB2239 have and those idle ok with a 34 PICT. In fact mine idles perfectly at around 950 RPM with a CB2239.

I’m not sure if the first part is a joke. I know if I was new and asked what the op asked what you said would confuse me.

Also idles “okay” is subjective. I’ve dealt with people who have vehicles that they say runs great but really they have a dead cylinder.

To the OP: what Glenn is saying is set full advance to 28-32 degrees. Each 009 I’ve dealt with is different but you can rev it with a timing light and see where it stops advancing and set that at the advance that you want.

I used a protractor to put 28 and 34 degree marks on my pulley before I had one with the degree marks.
StefansBus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 8:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Timing question Reply with quote

ekacpuc wrote:
StefansBus wrote:

I’m not sure if the first part is a joke. I know if I was new and asked what the op asked what you said would confuse me.

Also idles “okay” is subjective. I’ve dealt with people who have vehicles that they say runs great but really they have a dead cylinder.

Trust me, my 1776 with a 34 PICT and a 276 degree cam (CB2239) idles and runs great. It was designed by Alstrup. I rest my case Cool

Oh, and the first part. Well, was it a joke? Yes and no. The OP confuses the hell out of me. Here is the original post again with my comments:

A friend of mine has a 73 beetle. Has a larger crank (what size?) and some kind of a cam (what cam exactly?). It has a 009 distributor, 34 pic carb. Has has a lot of trouble making it run. He told me he static timed it at 10btdc. He said when he cranks it it idles at 30 degrees btdc but runs fine. This is the part that confuses me: He sets it to 10 but it idles at 30 degrees? Either there are no springs in the 009 and it goes straight to max advance as soon as the engine starts or it idles at 2500 RPM...What could cause this. He changed the distributor. When it was idling the timing was jumping around. Someone told him it was the distributor so he changed it along with the coil. So he changed the dizzy and coil to try and fix the problem? Or he has the problem since the swap? Or he had it before the swap and since? What kind of dizzy before the swap, and what kind now? I just can't make any sense of the OP Any suggestions. Thanks
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 8:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Timing question Reply with quote

I typoed the #, I meant 286 duration (W110+).

Please do NOT send me Private Messages through the Samba PM System (I will not see them). Send me an e-mail to john at aircooled dot net

"Like" our Facebook page at
http://www.facebook.com/vwpartsaircoolednet
and get a 5% off code for use on one order for VW Parts ON OUR PARTS STORE WEBSITE, vwparts.aircooled.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 2:49 am    Post subject: Re: Timing question Reply with quote

A friend of mine says the engine runs fine but zero compression on a cylinder. AFter, a valve adjustment still zero compression. so I said blown cylinder or piston or both.

Tore it down and showed him the picture. Very Happy

2500 RPM idle, huh?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: