Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Removing Speedo needle
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
akokarski
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 11:56 am    Post subject: Removing Speedo needle Reply with quote

Hi,

There are about 40 posts of one page full search results on various speedo needle questions and how to get it removed, but nothing really conclusive for a sure safe way to remove these little buggers.

Here is why I want to get it off. Speedo is ticking and yes I can clean it up lube it and ticking and jumping needle symptoms should be cured. However, clear plastic part with numbers is cracked and I would like to replace it. I've got a few non cracked ones from early speedos which I scored at BOR from flowerbox (very nice panel btw). I think those should work, except for the ODO clear part, but I might be able to defrost the back of the dial wider to get all numbers showing.

I started tearing down one of the worse speedos for practice and little button that holds the needle is really on there. It feels like bastard is on there with a quite decent interference fit.

Now I am not afraid of braking the needle, as could probably take one make a mold and cast replacements. It's the button that I am having lots of trouble with. I was thinking of building a puller that would hook around the back and pull the button off, but this sounds like it's going to be come a 3 month machining project just to get a needle off the speedo. Is there a better way to get it off?

Thanks,
Anton
Gary
Person of Interest

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First, here are a couple of threads that deal with speedometer R&R:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=327535
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=179776&start=10

Second, I be the ticking is due to the plastic worm gear in the back. I know this is a bad picture, but it should give you an idea:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=585503
akokarski
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Icy,

Yep. I've seen these threads and I've done speedo for my beetle. I think the difference between T1 and T3 speedo's is that the round part that needle is attached to made out of steel, not plastic over steel. And this is where I am having trouble of R&R.

Anton
Russ Wolfe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PM Timgud. He used to do speedometer repairs.

Gary: OK. Ima poop.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Gary
Person of Interest

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If/When you find out, would you post some pics? I have a myriad of gauges and will not be surprised if I find a Type 3 speedometer in the group.
dnwar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 11:25 am    Post subject: removing speedo needle Reply with quote

I have tried to remove my type 3 1971 speedo needle but it wont budge. do I need to force it? I cant even remove the tripmeter reset knob, but I can get around that issue. Sad Dan
dnwar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 7:35 am    Post subject: t-3 speedo needle removal Reply with quote

I did look at the threads you gave. I think the answer is that the needle mount may be made of metal and is just a tight fit. I am going to put a piece of paper or plastic under a prying point so as not to mark up the face of the speedo. then I can pry harder with a tool like a door panel remover tool. thanks
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A dinner fork
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
W1K1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yep, fork it

1973 super
1965 squareback 1500E
1971 bay window westy- subi swap
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: