Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Race Bus / Fast Bus / Sleeper Bus **Info & Idea Thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
nikke911
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been following your fantastic thread on building your doublecab.Very impressive fabrication-if i only had those skills..There´s a small thread with some pics on Boxerville http://boxerville.se/forum/viewtopic.php?id=6665.

Nic
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nikke911 wrote:
Been following your fantastic thread on building your doublecab.Very impressive fabrication-if i only had those skills..There´s a small thread with some pics on Boxerville http://boxerville.se/forum/viewtopic.php?id=6665.

Nic

this pic made me chuckle Smile

http://boxerville.se/forum/misc.php?item=11193&download=1

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
67dubcab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey nikke911,
I just checked out your build thread, very nice!
I like your attention to weight reduction, makes performance gains in all areas.
I kept weight in my mind during all parts of my build, but not to the extent as you, I am at around 2800# wet without driver and still need my front roll cage fabricated, so another 80# or so. Also interior panels and sound reduction (daily driver w/kids) another 50+#.
I would like to see more details of your front cage as I have a basic plan for a knee bar, toe bar(?) and halo to tie in to my existing structure but would like to get a better look at your solution, post up here or my build thread if you can.
Thanks, Stephen
nikke911
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine stays at exactly 2303 lbs wet(with full tank of gas).Need to have another 80-100 shaved off somewhere.. Smile
Old Vegas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holy crap, I really want to do a subaru conversion to my '59 SC now!! My mind has been blown away with the skill people have in doing all of these conversions.
1974 XLH
FG1732
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Link

Link
gumbajv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haven't been here in awhile. Stephen, glad to see you got the bus up and running.
A few people have mentioned running 911 front suspension, I'd sure like to see some shots. One of my last projects is to convert to rack & pinion steering. Having a hard time tracking down a Vanagon bevel (steering) box. Also looking for steering rack options.
Loosing 25% h.p. at 7,000 ft elevation has been bugging me. The 3.2 was putting out around 240-250 h.p. at sea level. A few weeks ago I was in discussion about turbocharging my n.a. 3.2 with a Porsche shop specializing in turbos. Using the stock internals (for now) would have bumped the h.p. up to the 300-325 h.p. range. Unfortunately the hard estimate was about 50% higher than the earlier one, oh well. I'll keep looking for 3.3 turbo motor.
67dubcab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Harold, good to hear from you.
The d.c. is in slow optimize mode, but it is running and working every day.

My long term goal is to build up a custom A-arm front suspension but like you I am going to fab in a rack&pinion, thinking 911 and the type 25 bevel box, kinda like a post on this thread a bit back. Have not yet searched into finding the bevel box so if you or someone else finds a good source please post up.

What do you think of the 911 rack, do you think there might be bump steer issues or general fitment problems? I know you have a car to crawl under and check!
My goal looong term is to run dual low boost turbos and from lurking on the pelican turbo forum seems like the 3.2 is better in some ways with higher off boost power and better heads and stock E.F.I already on the motor, I also am thinking that 350 h.p. is as much as can be squeezed into/out of the 3.2 before you have to open it up and lower the compression and twin plug. but as you are aware the slope is steep and slippery.
gumbajv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Stephen,
Here's a link to different steering racks folks have used. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=330811&start=80
I would go with the Porsche rack to stay with the theme of my bus more than anything else. But the racks are getting too expensive, so I'm also looking around for alternatives.
I read all these posts about people installing 911 front suspension, but no photos, driving impressions etc, who gets it.
I spent a lot of time trying different shocks to get better handling. The best set up for me was custom adjustable race Koni's in the front, and Wevo/Ohlins adjustable in the rear. The Wevo's are the same ones I use on the race car & turbo. I also shortened the rear sway bar. In it's stock length it does little if anything.
I've a few of the 3.2 turbo conversions, 300-350 h.p. in the bus would be about right. Yet another project.
Andy P
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you looked at the Red 9 front ends?
http://www.red9design.com/type2.htm
Not cheap but all in the one package....double wishbone coilover plus "rat n' peanut".
Definitely worth a look.

'62 Beetle

Jägdwagen
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
demon1018
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used a1989 Chevy cavalier rack in mine with a vanishing bevel box...works perfect. Only prob is I used a Manuel rack that nobody rebuilds so you cant go to the store and get one. I bought a used one. It can be sent in and get rebuilt if needed though. The ratio on it is a little less than stock so turning is real easy. The pinion comes out on the driver side with it pointed forward so the shaft from the bevel box to it is a nice front to back strait shot and the tie rods connect to the center of the rack so that helps with bump steer .they have power racks at the parts store for around $80 .I've read about depowering them which doesn't seem to bad and they have a few different ratios which should be real close to stock or even tighter if thats what you want.... I like mine though but I haven't tried one of the other to see if ide like it more. I have picks im my gallery if you want to see. Very clean install. One of these days im gonna build a kit for this.
demon1018
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually my pics are on the last page of that link posted above
gumbajv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

demon1018,
I read your write up, great job. I was referring to the guys that installed 911 front control arms.
The red9 front ends looks like a lot of dead weight. I understand they made it that way to make it a bolt in. I contacted them last year about buying a steering rack, but they don't sell individual parts.
As far as front suspension, I thought about re-enforcing the shock mounts, removing some of the torsion bars , and adding helper coil over springs for more adjustability.
A steering rack kit is a great idea, I'm surprised no one has made one. The front of my bus wanders. Since I've replaced everything including the stock steering box I can only assume (I could be wrong) it's just inherent in the steering box. I also added 1/8" toe out to the front, which helped but didn't fit it.
demon1018
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i see. alot of street rods and race cars i build we use mustang 2/pinto racks. the fox body rack is an easy one to do as well. the thing with these is they need to work right with the a arms. the pivot needs to be basically in line with the pivot of the a arms. there are a couple of places that make custom racks but there expensive . but youll get what you need. one place is unisteer
gumbajv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the Unisteer info. I was also looking at the Saco dune buggy site at steering racks. The bevel box is getting tough to find. Red9 says in their ad that they are sourcing new bevel boxes. It would be nice if they would sell individual parts.
demon1018
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

double check the steering ratio on the buggy racks . they might be real quick....to much for a bus
demon1018
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

some people dont call them that

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1599252
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1621949
gumbajv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the guys who used a 911 steering rack, what did you use for tie rods?

I picked up a steering box locally, and bought a 911 steering rack which will be here next week.
Started looking a little harder for a 3.3 turbo motor. Took a few measurements. I'll either need to relocate the intercooler to the left side bay above the tire, or have a custom one made. Also looks like I'll need to notch the apron to clear the turbo.
gumbajv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Picked up a '76 930 Euro 3.0 motor last week. It also had an Andial 3.0 intercooler mounted on top. Will start on the motor when I sell my 3.2 currently in the bus (listed in the 911 parts section).
I will also need to change the 7:31 r&p to a 8:31 in my 915 box. Also add a bearing retainer plate, and some aftermarket side covers to deal with the h.p. I'll post the conversion on my bus page once I get started.
brettsvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nikke911 wrote:

Nic

Good see some front protection when adding horsepower and handling.
http://boxerville.se/forum/misc.php?item=3854&download=1

My 59 kombi build.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=635003&highlight=

My buggy build.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=558601&highlight=

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=289807
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22  Next
Jump to:
Page 19 of 22

Jump to: