Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

time for a new transaxle
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jimbug57
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 5:37 pm    Post subject: time for a new transaxle Reply with quote

The only rebuilt transaxle I ever bought came from Stuff Transaxles about 20 years ago. It worked perfect from day 1. Anybody remember them? They're long gone though.

Now it's time to replace the trans in my 73 Super. I think on Monday I'm going to get on the phone and get the process started. I have a vendor picked out - Strictly Foreign in Grants Pass, Oregon. Hopefully he is able to accommodate me.

I'm trying to be really organized in getting a parts order together for stuff I'll need such as mounts. This is my only car and I really want to get the job done in one clean shot - have to have everything on hand I could possibly need. For example, I can't find my 8mm 12 point, so I'll get another, but, ya...

I'm welcoming any and all tips and suggestions as I'm a little nervous about doing this. I actually considered taking the bug off the road and just buying a Subaru, but my wife is really against it; she only likes the bug.

Thanks, Jim

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 8:17 pm    Post subject: Re: time for a new transaxle Reply with quote

I’d lean towards keeping the old lady happy.
Mr.Duncan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 9:10 pm    Post subject: Re: time for a new transaxle Reply with quote

I've had good luck with KCR transmissions in cali for rebuilt aircooled transaxles.

Replacing the transmission your self (after you get your rebuilt unit) will be easy.

Get new front and rear mounts from Wolfsburg west.

While its out, change your bowden cable tube.

Clean the front transmission ground strap.

Inspect your engine rear main seal for leakage.

Inspect your pressure plate/clutch/throw out bearing.

Cheers!

Red 1971 Squareback Thread
Red 1966 Beetle Thread
---------------------------------------------------
1971 Green Super Beetle (sold)
1966 Ghia (sold)
1971 Blue Super Beetle (sold)
1966 Java Green Std Beetle (sold)
1971 Red Squareback (sold)
1966 Red Beetle
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
volksworld
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2021 5:54 am    Post subject: Re: time for a new transaxle Reply with quote

used to deal with German Transaxle of America...also in oregon...never had a problem with one of their units but they were VERY strict with their core returns...as a shop i'd buy the box first, then return the core later...well didnt look closely enough and turns out the van already had a trans swap...and when i returned the 6 rib trans (a more desirable box) they wouldnt give me the core money....which was somewhere between 600 and 1000 dollars and obviously WAY more than I made on the trans swap and the customer was long gone and the bill was paid....even offered them other cores and they refused...so just be wary of any trans shop ....lots of single sidecover boxes got replaced by earlier ones due to bad reverse gears so make sure whatever you have in there is acceptable as a core
vwoldbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2021 10:45 pm    Post subject: Re: time for a new transaxle Reply with quote

Maybe check with mofoco I think they're in Wisconsin ,also there is Geno in Pennsylvania . Check feedback.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2021 9:05 am    Post subject: Re: time for a new transaxle Reply with quote

vwoldbug wrote:
Maybe check with mofoco I think they're in Wisconsin. Check feedback.

The rebuilt transmission in my 1970 said goodbye after 260K miles, most of that with 1835cc engine. I bought a rebuilt transmission from MoFoCo in early 2018 and have been satisfied with it and its quality. It gets shipped without gear oil, and MoFoCo says they pre-run in a vehicle.

1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Jimbug57
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 4:18 pm    Post subject: Re: time for a new transaxle Reply with quote

Managed to get a stock IRS transaxle ordered. It should arrive in 3 or 4 weeks. I really enjoyed talking with Mark of Strictly Foreign and went with him. As per suggestion I ordered Wolfsburg West mounts. Wow. They were expensive. Also got a lot of etc. etc. etc., prompted by my wife. Seriously, because I threatened to buy a Subaru, so now the bug budget is irrelevant. Go figure...

Also, sourced from The Samba -
"almost" NOS heat exchangers, have been installed but look brand new stickers and all
Flaps and all linkage for my non doughouse shroud
A really nice thermostat
A near mint 1971 oil bath air cleaner complete and working

And dang, finally sourced all the Bosch tune-up parts for my 205M distributor - cap/rotor/points/condenser.

I have not sourced spark plugs. What's up with the WR8AC? Are they resistor? I can get W8AC's but they are $6 each plus shipping. I have some NGK BR6HS as in R for resistor, but I think they make something similar that is not resistor.

Thanks for the replies and advice.

I have my work cut out for me but it's all good.

Edit: Also found a Sachs clutch/PP/TOB! For a good price, too Smile
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 7:12 pm    Post subject: Re: time for a new transaxle Reply with quote

If I lived in Michigan I’d be shopping a little closer to home. Genuine German transmission mounts here for less than arm and a leg. www.Bughaus.com
empi3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: time for a new transaxle Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
If I lived in Michigan I’d be shopping a little closer to home. Genuine German transmission mounts here for less than arm and a leg. www.Bughaus.com

According to the Bughaus website

https://www.bughaus.com/transmis6.htm

Those are Brazilian not German which is why they are less expensive.

Steven

1970 Beetle
1956 Ragtop Beetle
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: