Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What direction to go?....
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
insearchofdonuts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 8:15 pm    Post subject: What direction to go?.... Reply with quote

I have a 74 Super Beetle and trying to figure a good starting point and which direction to go with it. The pans are in good shape no rust! The body seems okay has some bubbles under paint, not sure if bad prep work or rust under. The engine runs like crap and leaks oil from around the oil cooler adapter plate at the engine case. (I have put in several different style gaskets and it continues to leak like crazy! I'm thinking the adapter plate may be wrapped?) Any ways, the wiring is a mess, is there a replacement wiring harness kit for a 74? The engine case is a GEX, I have read all the bad about them, Should I rebuild with this case or look for a new case? (the two halves do have matching numbers) Other than that I'm trying to figure out what to do with the interior. Should I keep the dash and recover or go for one of the fiberglass jobs? Who would be my best bet for replacement seat belts?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

[/img]

"Did I do that"?
JerryMCarter1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 8:20 pm    Post subject: Re: What direction to go?.... Reply with quote

If you cannot drive it you are going to hate it
DonnieDarko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fix your motor so that it isn't junk.
Get some door panels.
Find the motor tin.
Take out the fuel filter from the engine bay.
Bodywork last.

I pick cheap and reliable.
Mikedrevguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

are you driving it now? do you need it to be a driving project?

Drop the front end (making sure you take care of any shimmy issues it may be harboring) - followed, then, by dropping the rear.
build new motor -
(the mistake {as if there was ONLY one?} was doing white interior first - have spent the time since either covering up the interior, or having to clean the interior after getting it greasy and oily.)

good luck.
Rev.
69 Bwajaja
"The wise speak because they have something to say; while the foolish speak because they have to say something." Plato

Illigitimi non-Carborundum!!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SkrapMetal
Samba Hornblaster

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

insearchofdonuts wrote:
The engine case is a GEX

DonnieDarko wrote:
Fix your motor so that it isn't junk.

Good luck with that....

Find the source of the leak, and drive it till it explodes. Fix the current dash, fiberglass sucks. Search the site for engine builders, there are many reputable ones here.
insearchofdonuts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is driveable right now, I just keep good check on the oil and drive it short distances around town. I have the replacement tin, just need to get some screws to install it. I have noticed that the doghouse fan is missing the flaps and the thermostat is missing.

I'm just wondering where to start...most likely the engine I just need to decide what to do with it...

"Did I do that"?
julrich366
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's my 2 cents: Worry about the interior LAST.
1). Take care of engine problems. Either rebuild or get a new turnkey engine. My preference has always been to try to recycle what you've got. If you can't do it, find a reputable rebuilder. But do this first.
2). While the engine is out and the interior is basically "out"/trashed, do the electrical rewiring. Have never done my own, but have helped a friend do his previously... it's much easier with engine out and interior "stripped".
Do a search here...there's plenty of vendors to look at who carry full harnesses for a '74.
3). While the engine is out, also:
a. check your clutch/throwout bearing
b. check your engine to body seals
c. decide if you want to do anything to engine compartment .. e.g.
new covering for firewall, etc
4). Once above is done, then you can start on interior. I'd also go along with previous poster to keep your current dash and refurbish if possible...I personally think the fiberglass ones are junk....but also tend to attempt to stay more "stock" when possible. For seatbelts, look perhaps at Wolfsburg West. And use a quality interior (door panels, etc) such as TMI or you'll regret it in a few years when cheaper ones are looking shabby again.

Good luck and keep us posted!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: