Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

stock vs welded counterweighted crank
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  

Counterweighted cranks
NO stock is fine for 5000 rpm
21%
 21%  [ 7 ]
YES Always go counterweighted
78%
 78%  [ 25 ]
Total Votes : 32

77charger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

go counterweighted.If you do decide you need more power later on the crank is a good start.

If for off road your rpms will be up.Say you are climbing a soft dirt/sand hill you will spin the motor up and likely about 5k rpm.
Auto linea alm case,82 dpr crank wedgemated by DK machine
cb 5.4 h beams,12 pound DPR f/w,Slr xv294cam,cb straight cuts,hpmx 44s,40x35 heads ported by brothers machine
DarthWeber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

168,000+ members on The Samba and only 30 people have voted?

Shocked

Last edited by DarthWeber on Fri Oct 02, 2009 1:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Type 5 Joe
Banned

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I vote for Wasserboxer Crankshaft & flywheel.

Quit screwing around with junk. Wink

I don't use the P.M. service on here.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow - you can't get 5500 out of a stock crank engine sustained for 3 hours? must be some terrible engine builders these days. I thought y'all were pretty good but this makes me doubt your abilities.
Hotrodvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
wow - you can't get 5500 out of a stock crank engine sustained for 3 hours? must be some terrible engine builders these days. I thought y'all were pretty good but this makes me doubt your abilities.

Quite a bold statement. I'm curious as to what your head temps look like.

78x94 with IDA's....oober fun

Horsepower is an addiction........Addictions cost
lots of money!

Hose & Fittings
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maybe, but you obviously forgot to shift into 4th gear.....

SGKent wrote:

Please do NOT send me Private Messages through the Samba PM System (I will not see them). Send me an e-mail to john at aircooled dot net

"Like" our Facebook page at
http://www.facebook.com/vwpartsaircoolednet
and get a 5% off code for use on one order for VW Parts ON OUR PARTS STORE WEBSITE, vwparts.aircooled.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Hotrodvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
maybe, but you obviously forgot to shift into 4th gear.....

SGKent wrote:

Maybe he sucks at building trannys?

78x94 with IDA's....oober fun

Horsepower is an addiction........Addictions cost
lots of money!

Hose & Fittings
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DarthWeber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doesn't matter how high over 4500 you rev it, how many miles or hours you drove it like that, it's still a ticking time bomb. Always will be unless 'properly' modified.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Doesn't matter how high over 4500 you rev it, how many miles or hours you drove it like that, it's still a ticking time bomb. Always will be unless 'properly' modified.

there was also a question as to head temps.

The answer to the time bomb - any engine at that rpm can scatter. But ticking no. Not if you balance it. However the engine life is about 15,000 miles to 20,000 miles between rebuilds assuming you make 5 to 6 trips a year that way. Keep it to 60 - 65 and they last a lot longer. My last engine was dead stock because I got tired of cracked cases, pulled studs etc. Ask Jake on a T4 what he gets on the FP 914. He is probably turning up to 9,500+ rpm for 20 - 30 minutes at a time. He has to be because he is winning. We had to turn 8K - 9K in FP 25 years ago to bring home trophies so he has to be doing better today.

re head temps - stock dog house shroud, fan (balanced) and cooler but you are asking me to remember what the cyl head gauge was reading 30 years ago. My recollection was that it used to run about 350 - 375 on those runs. An extended oil sump was mandatory as oil temps would be unsustainable otherwise and I believe that I was using 50 wt oil.

I don't recommend driving a bus at that speed but I was 30ish and we would go river running on the weekends. Travel out Fri nite in the cool and back Sun nite in the cool. The original question was did he need a counter weighted crank to turn an occasional 5,000 rpm. My humble opinion stands as no. If he plans to turn 6,000+ on a T1 yes. Incidently - I set the redline on the new T4 1977 bus at 4500 rpm. Parts aren't available as easily or as cheaply as they were in the 70's and 80's.
jfats808
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I havent been in the vw scene for a very long time but after doing research, i understood that a c/w balanced crank is the basis for all motors. Unless you are staying w/ a basically stock 1600, intend to use the parts you already have,watching a budget, and dont plan on getting into too much of a performance motor; than by all means use what you have. I personally only like to do things once. -Jon
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

go get some old editions of hot VW or sandrail from the 1970's and 1980's. There were thousands of sand rails using stock cranks to play. Re-read his original post as to what he intends to do with it.
miniman82
Samba Swamp Donkey

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To sum it up: yes you can use a stock crank, but if you'll be building an engine there's no good reason not to use a c/w crank.

Glenn wrote:
satterley_sr wrote:

I just wanted to bitch but I'm getting no sympathy.

Welcome to the Samba.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: