Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Trying to tear down a 1300 need some advice on?
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darkhorse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:38 pm    Post subject: Trying to tear down a 1300 need some advice on? Reply with quote

Okay I'm tearing down a 1300 case and I have come across what I think is the Oil pump preasure release valve? Now I know on the 1600 you take two of these out. But on the 1300 does this need to come out to take apart the block. I'm new so please don't give me crap I have only had a VW for 4 months.
[/img]
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
[img][/img]
DarthWeber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's not the oil pressure valve. It will be located on the bottom of the case on the drivers side. That looks like someones attempt at plugging a leaky oil gallery. That's the intake side for the oil pump. Normally there would be a pressed in plug there but it looks like someone drilled and tapped the case then staked the plug in place.

Don't freak, I'm not giving you "crap", this is just a question, are you doing a stock rebuild? Reason is, a dual oil pressure valve (1600) case would be better for a performance motor. Anyway it's always a good idea to remove the presure valves and springs when you're rebuilding. That way you can check for stuck valves or a weak or broken spring or crud built up in the oil galleys. Just my 2 cents.
Darkhorse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 10:56 pm    Post subject: 1300 case Reply with quote

Funny you say that when I found the motor I thought it was a dual port 1600. But after running the numbers i learned it was a 1300 after paying $50 bucks for it. So I thought i would try my best with what i have and then play with possibly building a 1776 or bigger later on when I find a true 1600. here is a pic of when i found it I totallly thought it was a 1600 I guess that is what you get for being a rookie! Laughing
[img]
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
[/img]
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Numbers may be deceiving.... It may have started life as a 1300, but later it could have been rebuilt into a 1500 or 1600..... Only when you get inside and check the bore & stroke will you know for sure.....

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
nikita
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since those are dual port heads, its at least 1600. Just tear it down and see exactly what you have. A single relief case is ok as long as you are not building something radical or putting it in a bus, where it is going to work hard all the time.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: