Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Flow bench numbers for scat or bug pack heads.... or any....
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Johnbigdog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:06 pm    Post subject: Flow bench numbers for scat or bug pack heads.... or any.... Reply with quote

I'm intending to build a new engine for my 74 super. I want to build something in the 1.7 to 2.0 ish size, eventually with a turbo, but have a problem. NO one can give me flow bench numbers for their heads. I called Scat and BugPack directly and i got a idunno..

Is their any one that could get me some info??? I don't like to waste money and if one doesn't know their cfm @ lift one really cant get a good cam to exploit the potential of their head...

So I'm going to pay 500 bucks for a set of heads and i don't know if their even any good?????????????

HELP

(I'm wide open so any head numbers good. Im not specific to any head)
DarthWeber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DRD lists flow charts for their heads:

http://www.drdracingheads.com/heads/heads_L5_flow.php
bugninva
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CB performance lists their flow numbers on the CNC ported heads...

GEX has. Just sayin
Johnbigdog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

THANKS keep em coming..... I need to drive my car.... LOL
jeff denham
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

best thing to do there is if they have a return policy. buy the heads that best suit your eyes meaning use your best judgment if your familure with port sizes and valve sizes and then take them to a non vw guy that has a flow bench or even a vw guy that you can trust to give you a aonist flow # and if they dont flow up to your exspectaions return them for a full refund. but let me say somthing right now somtimes big flow # heads dosent mean there going to make big power. in your situation i think it would be better to stay with a conservtive flow # sence you say your going to put a hairdryer on it anyway those kind of engines could preety much care less what you put on it for a head. there going to make power either or. 500.00 dollars aint much let me tell ya. i will just take a gusse at it 120/130 cfm at 25in 500 lift if that. beware of big flow #s they usaly arnt true . JD.
jeff denham
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

also let me say that ive had heads that i have done for people that have flowed relitivly low on the chart (COMPARED TO SOME OTHERS) but bolt them on to a perfect engine recipe they ended up with an engine that made up to 40 more hp than what was expected on paper. lets just say port volume isent everything. will leave it at that . btw both bugpack and scat sell good products so im sure what ever you decide will be the right one . JD .

Last edited by jeff denham on Thu Oct 01, 2009 9:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
hendersoned
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

get the turbo prep heads from AJ Sims mr lowbuget, it is true it is not just about max flow numbers unless you want to drag race to win or set land speed record and need useable power from 4800 to 7000 rpm, everyday driven takes some grunt and useable power from 2000 to 4500, maybe 5500 if you want to shock a few mustangs Very Happy
The Noof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's way more about velocity than volume.
Johnbigdog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very true velocity is very important for torque. But with the numbers i can figure aprox. what to expect from the heads and purchase the correct cam for that head. Their is allot more to it than what i'm asking. just want to know..... Thanks..

Im hoping to go in a rally direction with my bug; down here in az we have "high" speed limits but hopefully I'll be able to take it home with me back to MN.

AND of course i want to spank Honda butt...
Thanks...
The Noof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 5:29 am    Post subject: Re: Flow bench numbers for scat or bug pack heads.... or any Reply with quote

Johnbigdog wrote:
I'm intending to build a new engine for my 74 super. I want to build something in the 1.7 to 2.0 ish size, eventually with a turbo, but have a problem. NO one can give me flow bench numbers for their heads. I called Scat and BugPack directly and i got a idunno..

Is their any one that could get me some info??? I don't like to waste money and if one doesn't know their cfm @ lift one really cant get a good cam to exploit the potential of their head...

So I'm going to pay 500 bucks for a set of heads and i don't know if their even any good?????????????

HELP

(I'm wide open so any head numbers good. Im not specific to any head)

CB has flow bench specs for their heads.500 for a set of heads is peanuts.I spent almost 3 times that amount.Perforfamce and longevity cost money.Don't srt yourself up for a low budget failure/dissappointment.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: