Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

how do you remove intake manifold?
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sdogtype2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2023 4:02 pm    Post subject: how do you remove intake manifold? Reply with quote

Looking to see how you go about removing the intake manifold since I need to replace gaskets. I removed the bolts, loosened the boots but wondering how I remove injectors without getting gas all over the place. Ive looked but cant find any topics.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2023 4:25 pm    Post subject: Re: how do you remove intake manifold? Reply with quote

Some kind of VW product you are working on???

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
sdogtype2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2023 4:29 pm    Post subject: Re: how do you remove intake manifold? Reply with quote

81 vanagon ,, Yes I know wrong area but its the same engine and figured I would get more traction at the bay instead of the Vanagon since its Air cooled and Its like the black sheep of Vanagons. Have Vw shops up here in Seattle that will work on Bay window and vanagons but tell me nope don't work on Air cooled vanagons..
bsairhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2023 4:56 pm    Post subject: Re: how do you remove intake manifold? Reply with quote

Its nice to know year vehicle engine and whether or not its still stock.
sdogtype2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2023 5:09 pm    Post subject: Re: how do you remove intake manifold? Reply with quote

81 Air cooled vanagon California emissions. all stock Same engine as 79
bsairhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2023 5:30 pm    Post subject: Re: how do you remove intake manifold? Reply with quote

I have never done one. Got a book?
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2023 5:35 pm    Post subject: Re: how do you remove intake manifold? Reply with quote

If it really is"just like a 79" remove the nuts from the injector clamps and lift the injectors and fuel rail as a unit, no need to disconnect anything.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here

Слава Україні!
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2023 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: how do you remove intake manifold? Reply with quote

Don't break the little 6mm diameter stud that holds the injectors in place. If it doesn't come easily then give it plenty of time to soak. You can pull the manifold runner with out removing the injectors if you slide the boots between the plenum and the runners all the way on to the runners, you may be able to get away without even doing this. You will need four of each kind of injector "seal" when reinstalling them if yours are old and cracked inside, if just loose you can add band clamps.

When going back together make sure that the cooling tin doesn't get caught between the manifold flanges and the heads as that will leave you with a bad vacuum leak.
sdogtype2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2023 1:36 pm    Post subject: Re: how do you remove intake manifold? Reply with quote

thanks, got them off today, was wondering if i should clean up the manifold bases as they look dirty.. should i use some like 0000 steel wool to clean the surface?
Also should i use some Edelbrock Gasgacinch Gasket Sealer when i put it back together?
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2023 2:48 pm    Post subject: Re: how do you remove intake manifold? Reply with quote

They should work dry, steel wool will likely work, I just scrape with a vertical razor blade in most cases. Look over the spacer between the gaskets for cracks if you are re using them, aside from the already mentioned injector seals and tin pinch that's another common vacuum leak source.

The less goo you have to use the easier it is to clean up next time.

Слава Україні!
sdogtype2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2023 3:21 pm    Post subject: Re: how do you remove intake manifold? Reply with quote

Good call on the tin, it was raised up by#2 had to tighten it up!
timvw7476
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2023 4:51 pm    Post subject: Re: how do you remove intake manifold? Reply with quote

there should be a phenolic insulator/spacer on each head.
Well, between the head/intake ports & the intake runner. There's usually a sealing material bonded to each side. Helps with heat soak on F.I. buses & vanagones.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2023 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: how do you remove intake manifold? Reply with quote

sdogtype2 wrote:
thanks, got them off today, was wondering if i should clean up the manifold bases as they look dirty.. should i use some like 0000 steel wool to clean the surface?
Also should i use some Edelbrock Gasgacinch Gasket Sealer when i put it back together?

I usually put them on dry, just letting the gaskets do the sealing.
sdogtype2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2023 1:56 pm    Post subject: Re: how do you remove intake manifold? Reply with quote

ok so here is a strange one.. I noticed that my oil light sensor wasn't coming on, checked the wiring and seemed ok. turned key on again light worked fine. started the van and vroom it idled fine but high as it was just cold started no pump throttle etc. Was like wow perhaps my intake gasket replacement just needed time to sit. went back the engine bay and was like holy crap! I had disconnected AFM. I was sitting on top of the compartment. So just the intake hose was connected , no air flow meter no wiring harness.
I reconnected everything started van again and idle was crap and died after a couple of seconds.. So my question is it something to do with this?
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2023 2:08 pm    Post subject: Re: how do you remove intake manifold? Reply with quote

Leaving the AFM off wouldn't break anything, I suspect your shitty idle is due to previous adjustments to compensate for the vacuum leak you just fixed.

Слава Україні!
sdogtype2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2023 3:55 pm    Post subject: Re: how do you remove intake manifold? Reply with quote

well shoot i thought that had done the intake manifold correctly but turns out i didn't as it had massive air leaks around #2 . So toss 14 bucks down the drain. s i bought 2 yippie! . When removing the manifold one of the studs came out around #2. the stud was stripped at the top thank goodness not into the head so Ill have to get a new stud and some bolts. That might have been why it wasn't seating correctly.
sdogtype2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2023 3:50 pm    Post subject: Re: how do you remove intake manifold? Reply with quote

I'm giving up as Ive tried to do this 3 times and it just get worse each time. Ive sent like 50 on gaskets and for the life of me I just cant do it.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2023 10:08 pm    Post subject: Re: how do you remove intake manifold? Reply with quote

sdogtype2 wrote:
I'm giving up as Ive tried to do this 3 times and it just get worse each time. Ive sent like 50 on gaskets and for the life of me I just cant do it.

Sure some part of the old gaskets isn't still on the heads causing an uneven surface?
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2023 11:13 pm    Post subject: Re: how do you remove intake manifold? Reply with quote

Pull the engine and do the repair outside of the bus
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: