Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

How To: Metal fuel line replacement w/pics
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hotrodvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My thoughts on option 5: Don't. Tubing lasts longer then hose, and is ultimately safer IMO.

78x94 with IDA's....oober fun

Horsepower is an addiction........Addictions cost
lots of money!

Hose & Fittings
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
LoneWolf8
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 56' Bug that recently need the fuel line changed. For those of you who have tried this, we all know how difficult it can be. However, this is 2011, and technology has now saved those of us that hate things that are difficult. Dorman now makes a nylon fuel line that fits inside the old, leaky steel tube. That's right!!! No more frustrating hours of replacing that old line. Just insert the end of the nylon tubing into the old steel tubing and push. Dorman makes a nice tool to put the unions on the ends of the new line, and just use the regular fuel hose from there to the tank and carburator. Walla!
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wouldn't that give you smaller fuel line diameter, resulting in less flow?
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
LoneWolf8
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It does, however, I used a 5/32 inch OD tubing with .016W, so the flow decrease to my 36hp is very minimal. I believe you wouldn't have any problems even with dual carbs. I should mention that it would be a good idea to locate the original hole and cover it. I used a small length of fuel hose, split it, and wrapped it around the hole, held in place with a couple of wire ties. If your hole was caused by rubbing against something, this will stop it from cutting through it again and into the nylon.

Last edited by LoneWolf8 on Thu May 19, 2011 4:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Aynthm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found a quick way to get the new line through that pesky frame horn in the rear. I was able to get the new line right near the rear exit but that last few inches was a bear. I finally ran some nylon weed eater line through the fuel line and when it came out the front I tied a good strong knot in it. Went to the rear and used that line to pull on and it guided the fuel line right out the exit. Just a tip if you're having trouble getting it out.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Derek Cobb
Annoying

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aynthm wrote:
I found a quick way to get the new line through that pesky frame horn in the rear. I was able to get the new line right near the rear exit but that last few inches was a bear. I finally ran some nylon weed eater line through the fuel line and when it came out the front I tied a good strong knot in it. Went to the rear and used that line to pull on and it guided the fuel line right out the exit. Just a tip if you're having trouble getting it out.

Now you tell me Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Oshea3333
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:50 am    Post subject: fuel line Reply with quote

what about running the fuel line up along the under edge of the fiberglass, by the wiring tunnel? will the upward angle create a problem for the fuel pump? this seems safer than inside the tub or on the underside of the buggy?
Prepmech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 12:37 pm    Post subject: super Reply with quote

Getting ready to replace the fuel lines on my '73 Super.

The previous owner ran it above the floor on the passenger side, and brought it over to the drivers side above the transmission. My heat exchangers are not hooked up and currently dumping the heat right on the fuel line, causing it to vapor lock.

As far as the heat exchangers, I am going to replace them and hook them up.

Having trouble finding access to inside the tunnel at the front of the car.

First thought was to cut some 3" access holes in the tunnel and flare them with a dimple die. This should give the holes more strength than the original solid sheet metal.

The more I think about it, I may just run some 1/4" fuel rated hydraulic hose above the floor pan at the front, and bring it into the tunnel somewhere near the rear seat. From there I would probably switch to 1/4" steel line and bring it out the back in the stock location.
fsckedagain
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, so I have a 73 standard and the fuel line in the front comes out the side. I am trying to figure out how to either test it, to know it's ok, or replace it.

We have taken the pedal assembly out, no clip. Shifter, no clip. And we cannot see one back by the rear inspection plate, but I know there is something holding it in. Any insight would be nice. The PO ran the hard line outside the car around the pan and over the IRS parts and pieces. It is *not* a good thing lol.

Thanks!
ajbuchok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in the middle of pulling my old line out and I'm having some trouble. I got the front and rear clips undone and most of the line pulled thru the tunnel. My trouble is with the middle clamp that looks like it's wrapped around the clutch cable tube. When pulling my old line out, it got hung up on this clamp. I've tried to open the clamp with a screwdrive thru the e-brake hole, but I'm not having much success.

Anyone have some magic technique for getting this line loose?

Thanks,

Aaron
GüteAndTite
Early Convertible Güru

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ajbuchok wrote:
I'm in the middle of pulling my old line out and I'm having some trouble. I got the front and rear clips undone and most of the line pulled thru the tunnel. My trouble is with the middle clamp that looks like it's wrapped around the clutch cable tube. When pulling my old line out, it got hung up on this clamp. I've tried to open the clamp with a screwdrive thru the e-brake hole, but I'm not having much success.

Anyone have some magic technique for getting this line loose?

Thanks,

Aaron

2 words : hole saw
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=462533
61-67 Delanair Air conditioning Thread
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=457944&highlight=air+conditioning

PUNCTUATION CHANGES THE WORLD: "I need to help my uncle, Jack, off a horse" is way better than, "I need to help my uncle jack off a horse"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Aynthm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

STOP...
Before you cut up holes in the tunnel and other unnecessary butchering, listen up.

If you want to replace the fuel line with SS do it this way. There are 2 holes, one under the tank (entrance) and one on the left top of the rear horn (exit).

Get 10' of line (amazon.com), cut the old line just flush with the entrance and exits. Force the old line into the tunnel and to the side a little. Leave it there. Uncurl the new line and feed it into the front access hole in the tunnel and feed it back to the rear inspection plate. From there work the exit end up to the horn and push it out the hole if you can, if it won't go like mine, run weed wacker line through the horn into the line and feed it all the way to the front until it exits. Pull 2 feet of it out and tie a good strong knot in it and go back to the rear and pull on the weed wacker line until the fuel line exits the horn fuel line exit hole or until you can get some needle nosed pliars on it and pull it out 4 or 5 inches. Now go back to the front and push enough fuel line in, make your cut giving yourself some extra line and reverse the weed wacker method to get that line out the front. Now you can get a couple of zip ties anywhere on the line inside the tunnel and secure it as much as possible to something, if you can't then run some split brake bleeder hose around the fuel line and slide it down. This is to keep the line from rattling against the tunnel and making noise. The angle at entrance and exit and the strength of the SS line will keep it solidly secure, it's not coming out or sliding around.

I have photos on the link below somewhere. It came out fine and was very quick once I employed the weed wacker line.

Good luck and stop talking about cutting up 3" holes. Forget about it.
Snydr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, I'll be sure to add this to my list... since the previous owner on my '63 had zip tied a rubber fuel line - run front to back - on the outside/underside of the floor pans. Yeah, that was safe... Shocked

'63 Beetle Ragtop - (Build in progress)
'00 Jetta 1.8T
Motomazzo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LoneWolf8 wrote:
I have a 56' Bug that recently need the fuel line changed. For those of you who have tried this, we all know how difficult it can be. However, this is 2011, and technology has now saved those of us that hate things that are difficult. Dorman now makes a nylon fuel line that fits inside the old, leaky steel tube. That's right!!! No more frustrating hours of replacing that old line. Just insert the end of the nylon tubing into the old steel tubing and push. Dorman makes a nice tool to put the unions on the ends of the new line, and just use the regular fuel hose from there to the tank and carburator. Walla!

I'm leery of this. First for the aforementioned reduction in I.D. but also…….does Dorman guarantee this tubing’s resistance to Ethanol in pump gas? I don't know about where you live, but it's almost impossible to find gas here in Texas that doesn't have at least 10% Ethanol added to it. And I don't know of any tubing that has complete resistance to breaking down (eventually) after repeated exposure to Ethanol. Unless Dorman has some magic recipe for their tubing, you might be in a world of hurt some time down the road with that tubing. Just a thought.

Moto

'66 Sedan Project - http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=410718

R.I.P. - Mikayla. I miss you Baby girl.
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LoneWolf8 wrote:

hello,
Saw your post on this. I am nearly done with my '60 'vert and now the stupid line is leaking. I don't want to hassle with replacing the line in the tube so what you did sounds great. Is it holding up ok? I looked at dorman's site and i see they have this nylon fuel line repair kit, is that what you purchased?
--Dan

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
BUGTHUG
Samba's Rented Mule

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Instead of using NYLON zip ties, cause they will break sooner than later, use the SS zip ties that they use for putting heat wrap on exhaust. This should last LONG TIME "sailor". Smile

1963 15 window bus
1966 VW bug
1966 21 window micro bus
1969 Dune Buggy
1965 VW bug
1974 VW bug
1972 Kelmark, VW drive line
1948 Chevrolet Hearse
broomhandle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought I would bring up this sweet thread again....

So... Any insight with doing this with the body on?

And I have a 69...

Line is like all rust... Time for new...
EA812
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EA812 wrote:
This is what we used on our 65.

This is something someone wrote up in the past. Who ever you are thank you!

If the body is still on the car you will need to remove the following items to use the existing access holes. Remove the front bumper and the front access cover in the frame head; remove the pedal assembly, shifter and inspection cover under the rear seat. Last of all you will need to remove the large bolt at the rear of the vehicle that secures the trans bracket on the tube that the fuel line comes out of. This will allow you a hole to look in when running the new line.
Second, The fuel line is not welded inside the tunnel, it is held in place by 2 tabs that are bent around the tube. One is located just rear if the pedal access hole and the other is accessible through the rear inspection hole and is where the rear frame tube is attached to the pan. (There is also a clip that holds the line to the clutch cable tube under the e-brake handle. You can see it if you take the boot off. That is were we broke the string pulling the new one in.) You can reach the rear one with a screwdriver to bend it open slightly. The front one is a little harder. I took a 4 ft long piece of 1/4 inch square steel tube, from Home Depot, and hammered the end flat. I reached through the front access hole and bent the strap open with it. Be patient.
Third. I broke off the existing fuel pipe where it exits the frame in the front and rear and used a screwdriver to push the tube into the frame. Then, I worked the old tube out of the frame through the pedal access hole using a pair of channel locks and pried against the opening to leverage the tube out the hole.

Now you have the old fuel line out. If you put a trouble light in the rear access hole facing forward you can look into the frame from the front access hole and you will see where to route the new fuel line.
Buy a 25ft roll of 1/4-inch steel fuel line at the auto parts store. Roll it out on the floor and tape the end to keep dirt out of it. Feed it into the frame through the front opening and don't worry about getting it in the clip until the end. Once it reaches the rear inspection hole you will have to bend it slightly to guide it down the rear tube. Turn your light in the rear inspection hole to face down the rear tube and you can look in the tube through the trans mount bolt hole. Once the tube is at the opening in the frame, use a long thin Phillips screw driver or any long round object that you can fit into the fuel line. Reach into the tube with the 1/4 inch square steel piece you got at home depot, and gently lift the fuel line up towards the opening and stick the Phillips screw driver in through the frame opening into the end of the fuel line. This will act as a guide for the line to follow up and out the hole. Now go back to the front of the vehicle
and push the line in and it will come out the rear hole very nicely. Push about 1 foot of extra out the rear frame hole to allow you to have extra for working the front into the hole. Do not cut the extra off yet.
Go to the front of the vehicle and cut the tube with a tube cutter, Make sure you can get your Phillips screw driver in the end of it so you can guide it out the frame hole like you did the rear.

Go to the rear and pull the line until the end of the tube up front is aligned with the hole in the frame and gently lift the line using the 1/4 inch steel tube and insert the Phillips screw driver in the frame opening and into the fuel line. Go to the rear and push the fuel line back into the frame and it should pop out the front hole.

Now you can adjust the tube inside the frame so it's in the straps you bent open. Use the 1/4-inch steel tube to pry the front clip back closed around the fuel line.

With your tube cutter cut the front and rear tube so you have about 4 inches sticking out. You can adjust this length later for the perfect fit.

Place the new rubber fuel line grommets over the fuel line an into the frame holes.

Reinstall your inspection cover, trans mount bolt, front access hole and front bumper and you have a new fuel line installed just like new without cutting up you car. It took me 3 hours by myself with me car body still on my 66 very. If the pan is off the car it's even easier.

It's see also http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=354821&highlight= for some great photos

Brent <"OOOO={

the original writer (I'm not that person) said it could be done with the body on but I don't know if the engine needs to be out or not.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
broomhandle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I was just wondering if anybody has and they can ad there 2cents
youngnstudly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, this is just how I did this procedure on my car...I'm sure there are a few other ways (or on this site, 9,000,000) to get the same end result. Sorry for writing an essay here with no pics, my computer won't recognize my digital cam. This is the 1 hour method, not the 10 or 20 minute method (FYI). And sorry, but I don't know how to text message, so text format wasn't used. I didn't take 6th grade 3 times so that I could grow up and type in texting format (KIDDING Laughing )!

You can do this with the car running and driving, the engine does not need to come out, nor does the factory fuel line. Remove the rear seat bottom and rear inspection cover, the front bumper, both front inspection covers, and the right front wheel. Jack stands need to be used and you will have to remove the right front wheel to gain access for hooking up the new line to the tank. Get your roll of stainless steel, steel, or aluminum line and simply uncoil it so it is nearly straight, tape the open end shut, and feed it through the tunnel from the front, along the passenger side. You can place a (flash or drop) light over the rear inspection cover opening for better visibility while pushing the new line through (can you can see the light at the end of the tunnel? Razz ). You'll want to aim the taped (leading) end towards the drivers side for exiting the rear, while passing the new line below all the other existing lines inside the tunnel. I sneaked the new line through and exited where one of the other lines (drivers side e-brake perhaps?) passes through, but uses no grommets from the factory. There is hardly a gap there so the new line actually sits snug in that spot with no rough edges exposed, and no need for a seal or grommet.

Once you're through the tunnel and out the rear (why does that sound so dirty? Embarassed ) you can use a tubing bender at the front of the tunnel to bend the excess tubing to 90 degrees, then cut it down so only 2-1/2 or 3" remains. From there drill a hole in the passenger side of the tunnel underneath the gas tank for the line to pass through (so the tunnel fuel line inlet will line up nicely with the gas tank outlet). You will need to use a rubber grommet at this point, so drill the hole correctly for the grommet that you decide to use. Install the grommet later so it's not blocking your view into the tunnel.

Here is where you need to get creative. A tool needs to be made that is rigid enough for applying side force, while also allowing you to lock onto the bent 90 degree portion of the fuel line so you can twist (clock) it correctly while looking through the inspection hole. I made a tool from simple 1/4" round stock the first time I did this, but the last time I did this I used 5 separate 3/8" ratchet extensions taped together with a T-handle on the ratchet end (so I could easily turn the extensions) and a misc deep 3/8" drive socket to the other end (it was a spare 9/16" socket if I recall correctly). I ground a slot into the open end of the socket 180 degrees apart so the socket would grab the 90 degree 3" long portion of the new fuel line.

Simply twist, rock, wiggle, push, gently force, and/or persuade the T-handle and extensions until the end of the fuel line lines up with the hole for the grommet. Check alignment using a flashlight in your right hand (through front access cover hole) while looking through the hole you drilled for the end of the new fuel line. Once in sight, install the grommet using a little soap (or ?) to lube it's ID so the new line can pass through easily. You can feed a small section of round stock through the grommet and into the open end of the new line to keep things aligned, then simple apply side force using the extensions and socket to push the line through the grommet. Apply a small piece of fuel line over the metal line to prevent it from popping back into the tunnel, and hose clamp it into place so it doesn't move while you slip the actual fuel line over it. Cut the rear of the fuel line to the length you desire, and that's it. Don't forget to spray the new line clean (I used brake clean and compressed air).

Note: I decided to drill a 2-1/4" hole on the opposite side of the pedal assembly on my car for getting more light to the front of the tunnel, but also for checking the clutch tube welds, as well as adding a center support to my new fuel line. The support was a piece of aluminum angle cut to 1" in length that I drilled for the proper size tubing sleeve. The sleeve was epoxied into the angle, the assembly was slide onto my fuel line before taping the leading end closed, and I pop riveted the angle to the inside of the tunnel by clamping the angle to the tunnel with Visegrips (through the 2-1/4" hole). I still need to re-enforce the front clutch tube mount so I haven't welded the hole back up yet.

Like I said, this is just one way of doing it, and I'm sure everyone and their brother will argue my method, but you asked for 2 more cents. I put in 75 cents.

Andy
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: