Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Building a 1.8T Stage III+ Conversion
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Beetsport Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 11:54 pm    Post subject: Building a 1.8T Stage III+ Conversion Reply with quote

We have produced many 1.8T engine conversions and seem to be getting more and more interest lately thanks to Thesamba community and other forums as well as customer spreading the word. All along we have been working with a very popular company for helping us delete VW’s immobilizer that keeps the engine from starting without the original ignition key (from the donor vehicle). Their name is APR which stands for Audi Performance Racing. APR also installs our performance enhancement chip which brings the 1.8T stock horsepower from the 180 to 209 and torque from 174 (stock) to 242 ft. lbs. of torque.

We are now working with APR to produce a monster dream Syncro. The Stage III+ Turbo kit is capable of 340 horsepower and 320 foot-pounds of torque at the flywheel on 93 octane gas, while retaining stock-like drivability. Well not Vanagon stock that is Rolling Eyes . Slightly lower performance is experienced with 91 octane gas.

Several of you have seen the 1.8T Stage III+ engine going into the Syncro Dream machine at the Van-O-Rama slid out of the Synfalia on a clever engine/seat rail system.

Being installed with this engine conversion ( and are probably needed..) are Porsche 930 Axles, Decoupler with Solid Shaft, Big Brake Kit front and Thicker Rear Drums (good thing huh… Laughing ), Complete rebuild Transmission with Oil Deflectors, Air over Water Intercooler System. Must be forgetting something here. Oh, complete paint job, all window rubber replaced etc. etc.

Truly a very nice Syncro Westfalia!!!

Pictures shows are the engine from this Monster Syncro Dream at the Van-O-Rama. More pictures to come if the interest is there.

Enjoy Razz

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Strange seeing an engine hanging out of a Syncro. The center that is.. Laughing

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Alaric.H
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They might want to ditch the soild shaft a vc will do much more.
and a LLSD will make it stronger.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting.
I have been commenting on another thread about Subie vs. Bostig.
This setup you are building will most surely be powerful enough to be ranked with the WRX turbo and one of my worked EG33 Syncros.
I like how clean you keep the engine bay with all the workings.
I'll keep watching your build.
Keep up the good work.

As far as "hook up" and traction, nothing will match the solid shaft.
If you are in need of all wheel drive on pavement, it will not be a good choice. As was previously stated.

dylan
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very cool! I am seriously considering doing a 1.8T swap myself and I have connections to APR, so I will definitely be watching this one as it comes together. Should be a fun one!

*Custom wheel hardware for Audi/VW, Porsche and Mercedes wheels - Urethane Suspension Bushings*
T3Technique.com or contact me at [email protected]
wildenbeast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you still developing the 2.0T as well? I would be interested to try out either the 1.8T or 2.0T at altitude.
Alaric.H
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

insyncro wrote:
Interesting.
I have been commenting on another thread about Subie vs. Bostig.
This setup you are building will most surely be powerful enough to be ranked with the WRX turbo and one of my worked EG33 Syncros.
I like how clean you keep the engine bay with all the workings.
I'll keep watching your build.
Keep up the good work.

As far as "hook up" and traction, nothing will match the solid shaft.
If you are in need of all wheel drive on pavement, it will not be a good choice. As was previously stated.

dylan
A aggressive VC will hook up fast enough for anything and still be used on the road for hills and turns I have driven with many vans with solid shafts and I went where ever they went but you will need a decoulper.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stefan,

Looks exciting. I'm interested in seeing how this one turns out. My 1.8T (your first paying customer) is still running strong with 40K+ miles on the conversion. Too bad really, I'd be interested in another 100 hp/lbs of torque. Keep up the good work, and please post some pictures of your current build.

Erik
jacob.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, I wish I had 10K to have you install the 1.8t. Talk about my dream vanagon!

Is anybody on the East side of the U.S.A. doing these conversions?
mtnwater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: Building a 1.8T Stage III+ Conversion Reply with quote

Beetsport wrote:
Being installed with this engine conversion ( and are probably needed..) are Porsche 930 Axles, Decoupler with Solid Shaft, Big Brake Kit front and Thicker Rear Drums (good thing huh… Laughing ), Complete rebuild Transmission with Oil Deflectors, Air over Water Intercooler System. Must be forgetting something here. Oh, complete paint job, all window rubber replaced etc. etc.

More pictures to come if the interest is there.

Suffice it to say, the interest is there - more photos of the dream build, please! Super tempted to bring my AW down for a 1.8t conversion. What's your current backlog?

Curious who is doing the paint/body work? I had some work done at a shop near yours and the work they did is now rusting through in several locations and the paint work shows poor attention to detail. I wouldn't recommend them to any syncro owner looking for a quality paint job.
Dingchowping
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been turning wrenches for an APR dealer for several years and have built several Stage II, III, and III+ 1.8t motors. I can vouch for Beetsport's claims that their turbo kits are the most thoroughly sorted, best engineered, and most factory like drivability of any turbo kit out there. That said, I don't think the Stage III+ is the best idea for a vanagon. The huge Garrett turbo is pretty laggy and makes the 1.8t more of a high strung race motor. Awesome at the track (assuming you can put all that power to the pavement), but on the street its actually SLOWER than the K04 based Stage II. The K04 runs out of puff at higher RPMs so peak horsepower is down compared to the Stage III, but its just as responsive as the stock K03, so it produces massive torque through low to mid rage RPM's.

Want your cake AND eat it too? The 2.0 TFSI motor with the factory KO4 turbo/manifold (S3 and TTRS) and APR software makes the same power as a Stage III+ 1.8t but with the responsiveness and massive midrange torque of the Stage II. We've found that across the board the 2.0t is MUCH more responsive to performance tuning than the 1.8t. It also does away with the leak and failure prone cam chain tensioner, and oil feed issues to the turbo are also resolved.

The 2.0t isn't without its faults though. Certain models experience excessive wear on the cam follower for the high pressure fuel pump, and the stock integrated diverter valve fails often (this is resolved with the S3/TTRS's external vacuum actuated valve), and its HYPER sensitive to vacuum leaks, ala the old MC 10v turbo 5 cylinders.

I don't mean to rain on your parade, I actually think a Stage III+ in a Vanagon would be very cool...the noise that big Garrett turbo makes at full song is EPIC! I just wanted to throw out some different data points from a different point of view. Best of luck on the project.

TTFN,
Adam
VWhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Stephan, stageIII WOW! That syncro is going to Haul A#$.
Are you making a monster offroad synco for SdM,or a daily driver?
Can't wait to see more pics!
Keep up the good work!

Paul Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
dredward
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 7:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Building a 1.8T Stage III+ Conversion Reply with quote

Beetsport wrote:
We have produced many 1.8T engine conversions and seem to be getting more and more interest lately thanks to Thesamba community and other forums as well as customer spreading the word. All along we have been working with a very popular company for helping us delete VW’s immobilizer that keeps the engine from starting without the original ignition key (from the donor vehicle). Their name is APR which stands for Audi Performance Racing. APR also installs our performance enhancement chip which brings the 1.8T stock horsepower from the 180 to 209 and torque from 174 (stock) to 242 ft. lbs. of torque.

We are now working with APR to produce a monster dream Syncro. The Stage III+ Turbo kit is capable of 340 horsepower and 320 foot-pounds of torque at the flywheel on 93 octane gas, while retaining stock-like drivability. Well not Vanagon stock that is Rolling Eyes . Slightly lower performance is experienced with 91 octane gas.

Several of you have seen the 1.8T Stage III+ engine going into the Syncro Dream machine at the Van-O-Rama slid out of the Synfalia on a clever engine/seat rail system.

Truly a very nice Syncro Westfalia!!!

Pictures shows are the engine from this Monster Syncro Dream at the Van-O-Rama. More pictures to come if the interest is there.

Enjoy Razz

Strange seeing an engine hanging out of a Syncro. The center that is.. Laughing

Welcome to the nxt level folks.
240Gordy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 9:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Building a 1.8T Stage III+ Conversion Reply with quote

mtnwater wrote:
Curious who is doing the paint/body work? I had some work done at a shop near yours and the work they did is now rusting through in several locations

is the rust at the seams? if so the moisture is coming through from behind, you need to get in behind the seams and seal the area, either in the wheel wells or behind the interior panels.
1985 GL now with more! a 2.1L
H&R SPORT(RED) Springs FRONT , SLAM SPECIALTIES RE6 AIRBAGS REAR
nealcapener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess, that makes it the first mid engine Syncro.
Sure makes changing the oil and other maintenance easy. Rolling Eyes
Beetsport Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wildenbeast wrote:
Are you still developing the 2.0T as well? I would be interested to try out either the 1.8T or 2.0T at altitude.

Yes, the 2.0T us still under development. Same as the 1.8T when we started this conversion, we are working out the smog issues for the 2.0T. Turbo engines are a must if you want power at higher altitudes..

Quote:
Hey Stephan, stageIII WOW! That syncro is going to Haul A#$.
Are you making a monster offroad synco for SdM,or a daily driver?
Can't wait to see more pics!
Keep up the good work!

Paul

This Syncro Dream is for a customer and probably would not be a good rock crawler.... Well it would take some really good driving skills for it that is.. Wink It will probably be used as a part time ( Laughing ) daily driver.. Thanks ! We work hard to keep up the good work!!!

Quote:
Suffice it to say, the interest is there - more photos of the dream build, please! Super tempted to bring my AW down for a 1.8t conversion. What's your current backlog?

Curious who is doing the paint/body work? I had some work done at a shop near yours and the work they did is now rusting through in several locations and the paint work shows poor attention to detail. I wouldn't recommend them to any syncro owner looking for a quality paint job.

We can start another conversion about mid November. The quality of the paint is wonderful. G&R Body and Paint did a wonderful job bringing this Syncro back to life (so to speak..)

Quote:
Is anybody on the East side of the U.S.A. doing these conversions?

Nope, not at this time. We are however looking into building kits and selling them to qualified shops in the near future.. Stay tuned.

Erik. We can give you another hundred HP or so... .. .. Just come on down. Laughing Thanks !

This Syncro is not in good picture shape just yet. We are still waiting for parts and slowly putting the body back together with all new rubber etc.
Thanks for all the comments and interest in this soon to be on the road again Syncro Dream. It's a lot of fun building an over the top Syncro Westy

Ahhh, Fresh new stickers. Exciting part of the process for me. Razz
It's official!! It's now a Syncro!!!!

[/img]

Love the Line-X on the lower section of a Syncro. Maybe another upgrade for The Synfalia..

Sorry, no engine installed pictures yet.. Have to stay tuned

And YES Dredward, this is THE NEXT LEVEL!!! Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have seen several american and import trucks in the junk yard that were Line-X/Rhino liner coated. It is a great way to hide rust to the point that it is unrepairable Shocked
Might want to rethink it before you have yours sprayed.
Beetsport Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sure looks great though... Smile Not much of a rust problem here in the valley.
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I kicked a hole through the side of a rhino lined truck.Shocked Cancer was bubbling up but you couldn't tell how bad the metal was underneath.
My '86 syncro came from the valley and it is a really dry car. It must be nice to not worry about the rust monster.
Beetsport Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the Mid-mounted engine found it's way into this Beautiful Syncro Westy. The Syncro Dream...

Creating a lot of horsepower is pretty cool. Trying to keep those 300 or so horses cooled down is another trick. This Syncro Westy is specially fitted with a couple ways to help out.

After Run coolant pump that circulates coolant after the engine is turned off until a pre-determined temp. Most ALL newer turbo-ed cars have an after run coolant pump. ...

Also an after run cooling fan that comes on when the engine bay area is above a pre-determined temp too. This also happens when the engine is turned off.

Water over Air Inter-Cooler with it's radiator mounted up front where the old spare tire went with a variable speed cooling fan. Cooler itself is on the right side of the engine compartment.

This Syncro Dream is a Dream to drive. Lets just say there is no hill out there that can slow this Syncro down. Feels like every bit of 300 horsepower and a very cool sound when the turbo spools up.. Puts a very large Laughing on my face! and probably the owner even more..

syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

300 horsies Shocked
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: