Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Trailer hitch for quad bicycle rack
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spreader
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2022 9:46 am    Post subject: Trailer hitch for quad bicycle rack Reply with quote

Hello,

New member here. Buying a 1985 Weekender in a few weeks (deposit is paid!) and I'm getting ready to tweak this for my families needs.

Currently I have a Dodge Grand Caravan, it's great on the highway and for geting to/from the bike races and camping sites, but it's got nothing for character and I'm looking forward to the instant sleeping setup with the kids.

I own two bike racks already, a dual Kuat Sherpa and a quad Yakima Holdup. The Yakima weighs 100lbs on its own. Four bikes adds another 100lbs. I'm trying to figure out IF and HOW I can use my existing racks.

I know there are MANY other forum posts on the variety of ways to move bicycles. I'd like to focus this on four-bike movement methods.

Q) Am I asking too much for the rear suspension of the van?

Q) Will the GoWesty "Vano-Hitch" stand a chance in hell of doing this work?
https://www.gowesty.com/product/made-in-usa/2582/trailer-hitch-with-2-receiver-

I contacted them, they told me it's "a class 3 hitch and should work fine for your bikes" even after I explained the 200lbs tongue weight.

Does anyone have experience with this amount of weight on a Vano-Hitch?

--> More expensive --> More secure

If the Vano-Hitch won't do the trick my next idea would be to (wait and accumulate funds) and then move up to the Burley integrated hitch:
https://burleymotorsports.net/product/high-clearance-trailer-hitch-for-metal-bumpers/

Only issue is ... almost $1000 Canadian.

I'd REALLY like to use my existing racks. I'd really like to avoid drilling holes for roof racks, but I may go that way and just leave a pair of Yakima Holdups on top of the van and use a dual bike rack out back. I'm also thinking about a front hitch though I haven't seen anything that just bolts on. Two out front and two out back sounds like a good solution if I can find the front hitch.

Thanks for the long read and for helping with such a specific situation.[/img]
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2022 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: Trailer hitch for quad bicycle rack Reply with quote

Welcome to the samba!

Here are a bunch of topics on bike racks that may give you ideas as well.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/search.php?searc...=titleonly

I am sure others will chime in on the use of that hitch for bikes.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
vanagonjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2022 10:07 am    Post subject: Re: Trailer hitch for quad bicycle rack Reply with quote

Spreader wrote:

Q) Will the GoWesty "Vano-Hitch" stand a chance in hell of doing this work?
https://www.gowesty.com/product/made-in-usa/2582/trailer-hitch-with-2-receiver-

I contacted them, they told me it's "a class 3 hitch and should work fine for your bikes" even after I explained the 200lbs tongue weight.

Does anyone have experience with this amount of weight on a Vano-Hitch?

[/img]

Edited- added NOT!
I would NOT use a bolt-on to the tow straps hitch for 200 lbs of bike/rack.

There are some other options for hitch. I'll see if I can find them, but perhaps other can help or point you to the threads that already cover this.

Edit: Dennis Haynes makes a great hitch, I have seen them in person,
I'm not sure if this contact info is 100 percent up to date

Dennis Haynes
Suffolk County
Long Island, New York
Phone: 631.563.8248
[email protected]
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

LiMBO is on Facebook too! https://www.facebook.com/groups/
FAQ thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=525798

Last edited by vanagonjr on Mon Mar 07, 2022 10:19 am; edited 4 times in total
vanis13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2022 10:08 am    Post subject: Re: Trailer hitch for quad bicycle rack Reply with quote

Spreader wrote:
I'm also thinking about a front hitch though I haven't seen anything that just bolts on. Two out front and two out back sounds like a good solution if I can find the front hitch.[/img]

Thank you for an articulate first post and a descriptive topic title.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9401997#9401997

check out front hitch options there. I've shared my design w.folks to have made locally to them so email me w.any questions. I've held 4 bikes on front and a 300 lb raft (deflated of course).....and it bolts on/off, doesn't touch the bumper, uses only existing holes, and clears the clamshell.

www.SuperVanagon.com - some stuff I make
PDXWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2022 10:57 am    Post subject: Re: Trailer hitch for quad bicycle rack Reply with quote

As on any forum, there are those who will insist that everything be overbuild 10x or it's no good. Especially when you talk about tow hitches on the vanagon.
I know many, many people who have installed the GW hitch that attaches to the tow hooks and works fine for what you want to use it for. The nice thing about the GW hitch is it also has a center brace that connects back to the engine mount. It can hold your bike rack just fine and give you years of service. Don't let the nay-sayers tell you otherwise.
Spreader
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2022 6:52 am    Post subject: Re: Trailer hitch for quad bicycle rack Reply with quote

PDXWesty wrote:
As on any forum, there are those who will insist that everything be overbuild 10x or it's no good. Especially when you talk about tow hitches on the vanagon.
I know many, many people who have installed the GW hitch that attaches to the tow hooks and works fine for what you want to use it for. The nice thing about the GW hitch is it also has a center brace that connects back to the engine mount. It can hold your bike rack just fine and give you years of service. Don't let the nay-sayers tell you otherwise.

Well, fingers cross that you, GoWesty and myself are correct. I committed to buying the Vano-Hitch and will be testing it out this summer. I'll go out and stand on each of the two loops if I can so make sure they can hold me. I mean... they're supposed to hold the weight of the van if it gets yanked out of a ditch.

Will post follow up when I get the van... and the hitch... and install the rack... and stand on it...
space
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2022 7:19 am    Post subject: Re: Trailer hitch for quad bicycle rack Reply with quote

I used a Yakima Bighorn 5
Not a tray style but held up very well (tires strapped to prevent turning)
At approx 35lbs
My hitch was bolted on but had a downward pitch
I reinforced the attachment by welding the hitch to the bumper brackets, I believe. (Its been awhile)
I switched over to Fiamma last year as they were selling them for $250 shipped
Keeps the overall length down
Fiamma can be expanded to 3 bikes
hth
Rear discs
michaelasnider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2022 8:46 am    Post subject: Re: Trailer hitch for quad bicycle rack Reply with quote

I see you already ordered the GW hitch, but I had very good luck with the Burley hitch and a North Shore rack, would recommend it.

You'll get a lot of movement with the GW hitch, as its a long moment arm to act on those points.

I was able to take 4 DH bikes on the back of that van. I now use the GW hitch thats integrated into the rear bumper.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: