Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

For the Myers Manxter owners, Rear seat belts???
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
eslack1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 3:53 pm    Post subject: For the Myers Manxter owners, Rear seat belts??? Reply with quote

I was looking for ideas for how I can mount the rear seat belts. Does anyone have any pictures on how they mounted theirs? I can mount the outside seat belts to the roll bar, that is not the problem it the two inside belts?
Tom_Kathleen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you trying to do a lap belt or 3 point harness? Send me a PM of your e-mail and I will send you pictures ( you can post here) of how an "expert" (not us) does it. Tom
Manxter #16, 1968 Meyers Manx & Kick-Out SS #16 (WIP)
Manx Club & CVA
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
coolrydes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your looking to mount the center seat belt receivers.
What we do is fab a little upside down "T" braket to mount them. The now bottom of the "T" (since it is upside down) gets two 1/2 holes drilled in it and one at the now top. The two bottom ones after drilling thru the tunel infront of the ser.#s get 1/2 bolts with nylocks to fasten it to the pan and then the upper one gets a single bolt thru both seat belt receivers and the upper hole with a nylock. Be sure to make the bolts you use at least grade 8

Hope this helps... Keep in mind we have a Q&A sections in our forums at mendeolamotors.com

COOLRYDES So-Cal CUSTOMS
MENDEOLA SUSPENSION
THE HOME OF STYLE AND PERFORMANCE
www.CoolRydescustoms.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
eslack1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coolrydes that is a very cleave, I am glad for forums like this. I am just looking for a lap belt for now because I am going to put two car seats back there and I want to make sure they are being attached to some metal.

Thanks,
Eric
coolrydes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem, glad we could help....

Mendeola Signature Motors may be a large company builing cars for people, yet we all started out building our own stuff in our own garage and not only do we remember where we came from but want to help out where we can....

COOLRYDES So-Cal CUSTOMS
MENDEOLA SUSPENSION
www.CoolRydescustoms.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
philoo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coolrydes, may be some pics to help ?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
eslack1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Philoo, I have a few pictures that Tom and Kathleen sent to me. If you email me I will sent them to you, but if coolrydes can share a few more pictures it would be helpful.

[email protected]

Thanks,
Eric
Tom_Kathleen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eric - you can post the pictures that I sent you here. They are OK for "public consumption". Tom
Manx Club & CVA
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Hank22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eric,
Please post the pictures Tom approved, while I don't have a manx it may still help my seatbelt installation.
Thanks
coolrydes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry I went thru about 2000 pictures here on the server and I can't find one that shows the bracket in any good detail....

COOLRYDES So-Cal CUSTOMS
MENDEOLA SUSPENSION
www.CoolRydescustoms.com
hcallaway
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 6:39 pm    Post subject: Not the same body but maybe the same fab could help. Reply with quote

This is my version of rear seat belt brackets. They are fabricated and welded into the roll cage. They also bolt in at the bottom at the back.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Wish I had a better shot. This is all I could find. Center tabs are flat to the seat so they are hard to see in the photos. You can see them in the reflections on the bottom of the seat if you look close.

eslack1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try this I hope this helps Smile Man it sure is a pain to post pictures. Tom now I know why you wanted me to post them.

philoo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eric, thank you for posting pics here and on my private email.

The "T bracket" is bolted thru the chassis tunnel or thru the small plate hiding the shift linkage connection to the gearbox ????

If bolted on the plate, it is not very secure, it is why I think it is in fact bolted on the tunnel !

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tom_Kathleen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eric - thanks for posting those pictures. If you guys have not figured this out yet, that is Kathleen sitting in a Mendeola built Manxter in thier shop. She must be a little larger in the seat of the pants to top of her head measurement than me, because I have sat in the back of her Manxter and my head is lower than the roll bar. Or, maybe her posture is better than mine!

You may also notice that the rear seat belts are 3 point belts, without drilling holes or making extra mounting points. Kevin (coolrides), you can stop looking for your pictures now. Tom
Manx Club & CVA
Hank22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Eric, sorry you had trouble posting them
eslack1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Piloo, I think the T-Bracket is through the tunnel, but I think it would be better to position the bracket further back going through the fiberglass and the tunnel, on the back side of the shift coupler tward teh engine). My logic is not for added strength but just to position the seat belt further back, to try to achieve a 45deg angle on the seat belt. Looking at one of the pictures it looks like the seat belt just goes straight a crossed. What does everyone else think.
eslack1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok so I have another question regarding the rear seat. How have you all supported the bench rear seat on the Manxters? I know with the bucket seats there is a cutout in the fiberglass for the seat, but the bench seat doesn't form to those cutouts. So there is support in the front using the bar that pivots the seat forward, but what has everyone done for the rear of the seat? Thanks for all your help. And the project continuous!!
73SpeedBuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eslack1 wrote:
Ok so I have another question regarding the rear seat. How have you all supported the bench rear seat on the Manxters? I know with the bucket seats there is a cutout in the fiberglass for the seat, but the bench seat doesn't form to those cutouts. So there is support in the front using the bar that pivots the seat forward, but what has everyone done for the rear of the seat? Thanks for all your help. And the project continuous!!

I don't remember where I saw it, but I saw one project where they ground out a pocket in the back of the bench seat to allow it to conform to the curves in the fiberglass. They didn't have to put a hole all the way through the bench, but I'm not sure how they managed it.

I do have a question about the mendeola method here... Can you still open the inspection plate without removing the seatbelt anchor?
Manxter #39 on a 1971 Pan
Turbo-charged Subaru EJ25D (DOHC)
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3923620/1971-volkswagen-beetle#

-Adam
coolrydes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

73SpeedBuggy wrote:
eslack1 wrote:

I don't remember where I saw it, but I saw one project where they ground out a pocket in the back of the bench seat to allow it to conform to the curves in the fiberglass. They didn't have to put a hole all the way through the bench, but I'm not sure how they managed it.

I do have a question about the mendeola method here... Can you still open the inspection plate without removing the seatbelt anchor?

We do the rear bench seat seat belt ancor the same way. We simply cut a slot in the rear bench seat and have the upholstry done to match. Then just slide the seat belts thru the slot and away you go....

You have to loosen the seat belt ancor and spin it backwards to remove the inspection plate. It takes less time then if you were to un-screw the phillips head screw and remove the plate......

COOLRYDES So-Cal CUSTOMS
MENDEOLA SUSPENSION
www.CoolRydescustoms.com
73SpeedBuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

coolrydes wrote:

You have to loosen the seat belt ancor and spin it backwards to remove the inspection plate. It takes less time then if you were to un-screw the phillips head screw and remove the plate......

How do you loosen the bolts if you cant get a wrench on the nut inside the tunnel? What am I missing?
Manxter #39 on a 1971 Pan
Turbo-charged Subaru EJ25D (DOHC)
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3923620/1971-volkswagen-beetle#

-Adam
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: