Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

odd ball distributor, what is the application?
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
johnanddes
Satellite Wrangler

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dont know if you have a NAPA, but I just bought on of these distributors also. Here are their part numbers if your looking just to get the thing running and dont care about "genuine". I understand NOS is the best, but on a budget, all the stuff costs 19.24 excluding tax:

ECH EP150 (rotor) $4.88
ECH EP125 (Condenser) $ 2.39
ECH EP 149 (Cap) $7.88
ECh CS336 (Points) $4.09

1969 documented numbers matching bug
1968 F250

Keepin the ISS from colliding with space junk
billfred1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone know if you can order a replacement drive dog for these?

Sorry to rehash the oldie.
tasb
The Distributor Distributor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Better to reuse an oldie than to start a new thread just for a drive dog. PM me and I can send you one.

Let me guess that the one you had now has a broken ear? They are softer than the Bosch drives and I have broken a couple and have learn to be careful with them.

1965 hardtop Deluxe Microbus owned since 1990 M 620 factory 12 v 1500cc

1961 (October)Single Cab- Road Trip Workhorse

Last edited by tasb on Sun Oct 19, 2014 3:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tasb

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

btw, when shopping for points watch for sets that have the phenalic washer included. It fits between the two parts of the points and some NOS sets do not have this washer.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
billfred1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tasb wrote:

Let me guess that the one you had now has a broken ear? They are softer than the Bosch drives and I have broken a couple and have learn to be careful with them.

I actually was trying to drive the pin out to turn it 180. It had been working fine. I had to pull the engine for a bad main bearing. Put the engine back in and no spark from the coil to dizzy. Coil is getting power, everything shows the coil is OK. Not sure why all the sudden no spark. Points were opening and closing as they should, gap was good, points and condenser only have a few hundred miles on them. Not sure what was going on. The only thing that was different was the dizzy was clocked 180 from where it was before. I know this shouldn't matter, but I was trying anything.

I'll probably take you up on the drive dog. However, I'm considering just getting a new(er) dizzy since I can't figure out why I'm getting no spark all the sudden.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

tasb

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes its a grounding issue with the distributor. The Garbe Lahmeyer distributor is pretty much fool proof in this regard however since the points plate is literally screwed to the distributor housing. Bosch units sometimes rely upon a ground strap that gets feeble over time.

The older mechanical advance cast iron distributors also have the common issue of the through bolt for the condenser grounding on the distributor housing. If you were moving things around it may have been bumped and is now grounding out your points.

LivinInnaVWBus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnanddes wrote:
Dont know if you have a NAPA, but I just bought on of these distributors also. Here are their part numbers if your looking just to get the thing running and dont care about "genuine". I understand NOS is the best, but on a budget, all the stuff costs 19.24 excluding tax:

ECH EP150 (rotor) $4.88
ECH EP125 (Condenser) $ 2.39
ECH EP 149 (Cap) $7.88
ECh CS336 (Points) $4.09

How did you find these part numbers? Under what year and model? The points are NLA through NAPA
tasb

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look at the pic above... there are scads of these available both here on the Samba classifieds and on Ebay.

tasb

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just did a search under "points" and the first three ads were for the points you are looking for and the then 4 out the first ten ads. This was on 12/29/14.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: