Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Tillamook Buses - Cheese, Ice Cream, others
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17, 18  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ms. Priss
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I wouldn't be surprised if these guys had inside info

You don't need "inside" info, every stop on the tour is on the web. Manteca isn't a big town, it's not hard to find a big trailer with 3 orange buses painted on it outside of a hotel. It's not rocket science.
'56 Single Cab Survivor
'82 Kaw 440 LTD; '03 SV1000S
OG JHC Member No. 65, Team Photographer
Wanted: Eriba Puck for my 21. Know of one?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

volkswagenator wrote:
[Personal opinion warning!]

I'm in the camp of those who deem these short buses as abominations. As if these vehicles aren't already becoming rare enough, I personally find it offensive that remaining examples are being completely decimated in the name of selling a block of (overpriced) cheese. And yes, you KNOW there's going to be masses of people who now want to cut buses to hell in making more of these damn things. That's just great.

I'm most glad these imbeciles were caught, all of the above said. Hopefully now the news can die down so that these friggin' hacked circus buses don't get yet more attention...

From page 1 of this thread...
Major Woody wrote:
A little birdie told me that every one of the buses cut up to be a shorty was a complete pile of shit. They picked the best candidates they could from a group of total turds.
So it's not like they're that much worse.

Folks who have posted recently about how awful it is to make a shorty bus need to read the whole thread. These buses would have been cut up for parts and scrapped.

Glad they found the buses, but not happy about the value estimates. Just another reason for a stupid high asking price on the next POS I find in the woods.
pondoras box
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ms. Priss wrote:
Quote:
I wouldn't be surprised if these guys had inside info

You don't need "inside" info, every stop on the tour is on the web. Manteca isn't a big town, it's not hard to find a big trailer with 3 orange buses painted on it outside of a hotel. It's not rocket science.

What keeps popping up in my mind is they got this truck and trailer combo out of there quick, and were able to drive it without any issues.

A lot of newer cars today will not even run if the coded key isn't near the vehicle, not sure if this make / model truck is one of them but even if it wasn't these guys knew what they were doing to be able to circumvent even the factory security, ignition, and steering locks. I would hope they had additional security with this setup, my guess is their insurance probably required them to have additional security systems in place, but that's a lot to get past in a public place that's generally well lit.

Then why would they steal this stuff and stash some of the most recognizable buses out there. Even if they did somehow get every bit of orange paint off of the buses, every shorty bus for sale would be scrutinized heavily from here on.

Was it just experienced car thieves that accidentally stumbled onto the most recognizable truck, trailer, and cargo combo this side of NASCAR like the dummy who stole the 1983 Corvette, yes they actually exist or were the three buses the intended target. No matter how I try to figure it up it just doesn't make any sense for someone to do what these two did.

1961 23 Window (Bobo)
1965 11 Window (Zelda)
1965 13 Window (Lucas)
1957 Oval ragtop
1988 Cabriolet VR6 conversion
Plus a lot of other rusty junk
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ms. Priss
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pondoras box wrote:
No matter how I try to figure it up it just doesn't make any sense for someone to do what these two did.

I agree, it makes no sense, but when does theft or crime "make sense??" Since all of those buses are shortened, we all know they can't be fenced without being discovered. Maybe the thieves weren't smart enough to think about that aspect.
'56 Single Cab Survivor
'82 Kaw 440 LTD; '03 SV1000S
OG JHC Member No. 65, Team Photographer
Wanted: Eriba Puck for my 21. Know of one?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

how about just hiding them until the insurance company starts looking for them? instead of having to pay out for all buses what they are insured for, they pay a small recovery fee to a guy who knows a guy who knows a guy...

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
Chad M
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pondoras box wrote:

What keeps popping up in my mind is they got this truck and trailer combo out of there quick, and were able to drive it without any issues.

A lot of newer cars today will not even run if the coded key isn't near the vehicle, not sure if this make / model truck is one of them but even if it wasn't these guys knew what they were doing to be able to circumvent even the factory security, ignition, and steering locks. I would hope they had additional security with this setup, my guess is their insurance probably required them to have additional security systems in place, but that's a lot to get past in a public place that's generally well lit.

Would it surprise you to know Ford diesel trucks are probably among the most stolen vehicles? They are targeted specifically for their lack of immobilizing features.
BlastMasterMannyFresh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really don't think this was a random crime of opportunity, why else would they have a storage unit lined up to stash the buses before they got their hands on them? whoever is behind this probably did not count with the fact that things were gonna get so hot so quickly and the police were actually gonna get on this case the way they did. Let's see what happens once these two criminal master minds start talking.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pondoras box
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chad M wrote:

Would it surprise you to know Ford diesel trucks are probably among the most stolen vehicles? They are targeted specifically for their lack of immobilizing features.

I knew Ford trucks have a high rate of theft, but yes the lack of theft deterrent features does surprise me.

1961 23 Window (Bobo)
1965 11 Window (Zelda)
1965 13 Window (Lucas)
1957 Oval ragtop
1988 Cabriolet VR6 conversion
Plus a lot of other rusty junk
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rebapuck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe these idiots thought the minibuses were just as they came from the factory.
Low67vdubinnocal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnnypan wrote:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

coupla scumbags..the fathead looks familiar..
Seen the chubby guy somewhere in the Sacramento area in the past just can't remember where or when.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
19super73
Hardcore Stock Nazi

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dammit. Now I want to tour the factory again and get ice cream and cheese. Their Monterey Jack is incredible.
1973 Super Beetle
1973 Westfalia [url=https://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-31892.png]Click to view image[/URL]
1974 412 Variant
1975 La Grande Bug
1984 Vanagon
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Low67vdubinnocal wrote:
johnnypan wrote:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

coupla scumbags..the fathead looks familiar..
Seen the chubby guy somewhere in the Sacramento area in the past just can't remember where or when.

Contrary to what you might be thinking, the "chubby guy" is NOT JohnnyPan.
Andy P
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RPGreg2600 wrote:
Hopefully they don't get cut up for parts.

Oh, the irony........ Rolling Eyes

AndrewM wrote:
Let's all hope they are found safe.......so they don't have to make three more to replace them!

Ditto on that! Smile

'62 Beetle

Jägdwagen
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy P wrote:
RPGreg2600 wrote:

Nothing ironic about that statement if you know the history of the buses and how they were at the start of all of this.
Andy P
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
Andy P wrote:
RPGreg2600 wrote:

Nothing ironic about that statement if you know the history of the buses and how they were at the start of all of this.

I know the story.

'62 Beetle

Jägdwagen
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy P wrote:
cdennisg wrote:
Andy P wrote:
RPGreg2600 wrote:

I know the story.

So you know that they would no longer exist (scrapped) if not for the team up in Northwest Washington that saved what they could to make them live again.
toncar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Police arrest 3rd man:

http://www.kcra.com/news/local-news/news-stockton/...48#!bgA8EH
Andy P
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

toncar wrote:
Police arrest 3rd man:

Really, $100k each? Rolling Eyes

'62 Beetle

Jägdwagen
curtis4085
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It could be the value based as said earlier on the advertising swagger of said company. When Walt Disney started buying land in Florida for Disney a World land was cheap but then people caught on it was him so they jacked up the price per acre 100 fold. 20 grand bus with used as advertising for large company may just add 80 grand to its value.
floyd1969
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

toncar wrote:
Police arrest 3rd man:

. He looks like he's just necked an eight ball.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17, 18  Next
Jump to:
Page 16 of 18

Jump to: