Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

battery recommendation
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
germansupplyscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i like the batteries from the VW dealer. a bit more $ but they are excellent quality. it's true there are not many manufacturers of batteries. the VW dealer batteries are made by Varta, which is a johnson controls company but the Varta batteries do seem to be better quality than the typical battery. the one we use in a later bus is the 72Ah model. it's bigger than the original battery but it fits in the tray perfectly. it's equivalent in physical size to a BCI group 48.
wvukidsdoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Desertbusman wrote:
WhirledTraveller wrote:
I will probably spring the extra dough for an Optima battery, for the simple reason that they are completely sealed and should not contribute to the rusting of my battery tray.

Or use a standard battery and put it in a plastic battery box. And coat the terminals and cable ends with the goop that totally elimates corrosion. Eleven years and I have never cleaned the terminals, cable ends or tray. They are as immaculate as new. Replaced the battery twice but they were as spotlessly clean and dry as when new.

Being an Optima fan, even at the current prices, I would not debate that a good battery box will solve the leakage problems, but it is a PITA to use in a vehicle with FI in place to me. Also I'm running an Optima in the '77 that I bought in '99 so wouldn't have needed to replace the battery twice. And life has not been kind to this battery, no use and let drift down for 4-5 months, then will be used deep cycle camping for a month, then repeat. I will note though I think Optima quality may have crept down over time, when I first saw one (about in '92 or so) the EE program at our school was using them in a robot and abused them senselessly as deep cycles (this long before the different color tops) still getting 4-5 years out of them. I don't think a standard "red top" Optima is of that quality today, or perhaps even of the quality of my 12 year old one. But they don't leak without needing me to buy and fit a box, and will fit without cable modification (just) in a late bay.

NO-OX-ID is great for terminal BTW volks if you can find it.

YMMV
John
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curtis,
Just get the biggest and bestest battery that will fit back there. I'm sure most places that sell batteries can tell you what size you need. There's plenty of room for many different sized batteries.
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think the MT 47 has the battery terminals reversed, i will have to check in the catalouge tomorrow. i don't know if the late bay's ground/positive is like the early bays

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
chazz79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most companies will rape you for a premium "import" style battery. I got stuck with a crap walmart battery because that's where my passat wouldn't start. That battery cost 135.00! But due to the funky end style hold downs I was doomed to take pipe on the deal.

I chose to forgo all of the fancy import battery crap and put a group 65 in my bus. This is generally the largest and most powerful battery that most companies stock. It fits fine and has 900cca, the diehard gold (johnson controls) battery cost me 89.99

Imho..johnson controls is really the only way to go. Exide has proven to be crap, so has interstate. I'm locked into a contract with exide and can count on replacing their batteries at least once every two years. Oftentimes they don't last a year.

The green monster in bits and peices: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=332556&highlight=green+monster
chazz79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chazz79 wrote:
Most companies will rape you for a premium "import" style battery. I got stuck with a crap walmart battery because that's where my passat wouldn't start. That battery cost 135.00! But due to the funky end style hold downs I was doomed to take pipe on the deal.

I chose to forgo all of the fancy import battery crap and put a group 65 in my bus. This is generally the largest and most powerful battery that most companies stock. It fits fine and has 900cca, the diehard gold (johnson controls) battery cost me 89.99 Group 65 was used in most all ford large body vehicles and trucks.

Imho..johnson controls is really the only way to go. Exide has proven to be crap, so has interstate. I'm locked into a contract with exide and can count on replacing their batteries at least once every two years. Oftentimes they don't last a year.

The green monster in bits and peices: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=332556&highlight=green+monster
69rulz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had A battery from advanced uhh,...i think called autoline, it lasted 5 years, died before the drive home in a hurricane Laughing Laughing hell of a jumpstart in sheeting rain
curtis4085
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
i think the MT 47 has the battery terminals reversed, i will have to check in the catalouge tomorrow. i don't know if the late bay's ground/positive is like the early bays

definetly let me know. Am leaning toward that model battery from interstate
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are five Costco's located in Colorado. They sell excellent batteries for a great price.
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW Jetta
VW Passat
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
curtis4085
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aeromech wrote:
There are five Costco's located in Colorado. They sell excellent batteries for a great price.

is there a members fee for Costco? thats only reason I have not gone there. Figured if they charge me membership fee plus battery= no savings.
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's an issue you need to figure out. Maybe you know someone that belongs?
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW Jetta
VW Passat
greenbus pilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

curtis4085 wrote:
aeromech wrote:

is there a members fee for Costco? thats only reason I have not gone there. Figured if they charge me membership fee plus battery= no savings.

Some day, I would like to see a Costco for myself. I have absolutely no Costco near me, but people keep bragging them up.
I would like to see an IKEA store someday before I die, also...... Wink
germansupplyscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

curtis4085 wrote:
skills@eurocarsplus wrote:

definetly let me know. Am leaning toward that model battery from interstate

group 47 has correct terminal orientation but trust me that the 48 is the better choice. it's a bit taller and has about more capacity than a group 47. it's the largest capacity battery that will fit perfectly on the stock battery tray.
pb24ss
Samba Member

Location: sitting around the fire with the bluegrass band - colorado

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

curtis4085 wrote:
aeromech wrote:

i have a membership. i'd be willing to meet you at a costco nearby.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interstate is rated highly often by different sources but the one I bought didn't last well at all in my CJ7. My experience has been that the last 20 years no battery seems to last more than 3 or 4 years.

We've got an Autozone battery in the bus now. It is almost 3 years old and maybe 1500 miles on it. When we took it up to Yosemite a couple months ago it barely cranked when the engine was really cold. The starter engaged, it just turned slower than normal. We had the lights on for about 15 minutes when we set up camp but that should not have been enough to pull the battery down after an all day drive.
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some day, I would like to see a Costco for myself.

Costco is a great company. They treat their employees well with proper pay and benefits. It's a long process to get your product on their shelves too. As I understand it what they sell goes through an approval process and this has something to do with them selling a higher level of quality than places like Sam's Club which I despise. Costco batteries have a high satisfaction rate. I bought one last summer for around $85. The same size battery at Autozone was about $110.
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Professional Drifter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
group 47 has correct terminal orientation but trust me that the 48 is the better choice. it's a bit taller and has about more capacity than a group 47. it's the largest capacity battery that will fit perfectly on the stock battery tray.

Do you know if a Group 48 will fit on the Aux battery side without hitting the spare tire well?
germansupplyscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Professional Drifter wrote:
Do you know if a Group 48 will fit on the Aux battery side without hitting the spare tire well?

i think it may be difficult to install the cable on the terminal. i can take a measurement but it's already a tight fit with a group 41 or 42 and the 48 is taller.
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't remember the size but you can see how close the negative post is to the well.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW Jetta
VW Passat
johnwan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Make sure that the battery is properly secured, and the top is protected from the weather.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: