Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Subaru Swap
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
Wags74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: Subaru Swap Reply with quote

Good to know. I don't want to pump gas through it near an open container because the terminals are exposed. Is there anything I can use? Looking for something with a really low viscosity.
clonebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: Subaru Swap Reply with quote

Pumping water through a fuel pump will kill it.

Take a good long look in the mirror and report back on what you see.

Paul.H wrote:
That one line on that chart is probably better info than you can get from this place in a month

My Megasquirt Fuel Injection Turbo Buggy Build
Water/Alcohol Injection
Audi TT intercooler
Upgraded to MS3Pro-Evo
EcuMaster PMU16
ECUMaster ADU5 Digital Dash

http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=127936
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wags74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 7:42 am    Post subject: Re: Subaru Swap Reply with quote

Has anyone ever used the fuel pump from a Subaru? I pulled the pump assembly out of my donor car and separated the pump from it. The only place I see for a potential issue is on the suction end where it looks like the shaft comes through the case. When i have a chance I'm going to hook some hoses to it and pump water through it to see if it leaks. Unless someone with more experience tells me this is a bad idea.
WithTheFlow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Subaru Swap Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
WithTheFlow wrote:
Thoughts?

go for the 2.5 I wouldn't mess with what you have

I put the 1.8 for sale. Maybe someone will want it for their bug

“The secret is here in the present. If you pay attention to the present, you can improve upon it. And, if you improve on the present, what comes later will also be better."
-- The Alchemist”
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Subaru Swap Reply with quote

WithTheFlow wrote:
Thoughts?

go for the 2.5 I wouldn't mess with what you have

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
WithTheFlow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 7:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Subaru Swap Reply with quote

I have a 1995 Subaru Impreza EJ 18 engine with 60k miles that is going I’m planning on putting my 1970 bay window. I got the engine, harness, etc, for painting the car.
My bus is at a shop now getting suspension and brake work. The guy has done many Subaru conversions.
He has a 2.2L and 2.5L there. Probably have more miles than mine.
I’m not going for speed but now I’m second guessing myself that the 1.8 won’t be strong enough. Thoughts?

“The secret is here in the present. If you pay attention to the present, you can improve upon it. And, if you improve on the present, what comes later will also be better."
-- The Alchemist”
shermer-high
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 5:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Subaru Swap Reply with quote

I'm just starting to organize what I need for my Subaru swap. Currently I'm running a 1776 type 3 with a 71 bug tranny in my ocolot buggy. I bought a 2001 outback 2.5 sohc 5 speed. My plan is to use the suby 5 speed reversed gear and mounts from Subarugears. Also I'm using the original harness. I like using as much OEM stuff as I can. Has anyone use the hydraulic clutch master in the bug pan and pedals? I also want to keep the cruise control. Another thing who have you guys used to bend the aluminum cooling tubing?
raul arrese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

71-BEETLE-SEDAN wrote:
Looks like trying to weld stainless or a different grade steel to mild steel, will make it hard to runa good weld.

No , just bad welding , all steels can be welded together properly if you know how ...
" 2013 Lakeland Classic Best of Show "
" 2014 Show and Shine , First in class "
"
Like my facebook https://www.facebook.com/pages/Raul-Arrese-custom-fabrication-and-performance/1832968110262608
otakuphill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 8:34 am    Post subject: Re: Subaru Swap Reply with quote

pullstart wrote:
How well do these work in muddy conditions? A few of our buggy ventures have ended with mud packed everywhere!

I live in los Angeles so I don't get much rain or mud. It's a tiny device so it might not work week off road.
danielzink
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 7:08 am    Post subject: Re: Subaru Swap Reply with quote

pullstart wrote:
How well do these work in muddy conditions? A few of our buggy ventures have ended with mud packed everywhere!

That's why I went with the Smallcar version as we do a lot of trail and mud riding...I figured with the magnets triggering the sensor there would still be a chance of it getting triggered even if they got a little coated with gunk.

The proximity sensor version just triggers off the heads of the CV bolts so it might get a little fiddly if it got really dirty.

Just my .02

Dan

www.danielzink.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pullstart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 5:48 am    Post subject: Re: Subaru Swap Reply with quote

otakuphill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 10:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Subaru Swap Reply with quote

pullstart wrote:
otakuphill wrote:
otakuphill wrote:
danielzink wrote:
Have you pulled codes yet ?

still waiting for my code reader in the mail. i'll know then

Got the code reader. The issues where fixed when I added a speed sensor. Thanks for all the help guys.

what year engine / ecu did you use, and can you post details about adding the speed sensor?

I just picked up a 2000 Legacy Outback EJ25 non turbo donor car and from what I read, the stock ECU will require the cat and second 02 sensor along with the VSS reading. I'm handy enough with wiring that stripping the harness down doesn't much scare me, just knowing what I need and what I can do away with is my concern.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
otakuphill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 10:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Subaru Swap Reply with quote

pullstart wrote:
otakuphill wrote:
otakuphill wrote:
danielzink wrote:

Got the code reader. The issues where fixed when I added a speed sensor. Thanks for all the help guys.

what year engine / ecu did you use, and can you post details about adding the speed sensor?

I just picked up a 2000 Legacy Outback EJ25 non turbo donor car and from what I read, the stock ECU will require the cat and second 02 sensor along with the VSS reading. I'm handy enough with wiring that stripping the harness down doesn't much scare me, just knowing what I need and what I can do away with is my concern.

I got this one from ebay.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/141684689386?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Mounted on the inside and pointed at the rear axle bolts. worked just fine for me. got rid of all my idle issues.
pullstart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 12:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Subaru Swap Reply with quote

danielzink wrote:
There's a couple different ways to do a VSS.

Hopefully you're running an IRS gearbox.

If so. The easiest way to go is to get one from Smallcar

I'm running a 1990 EJ22 ECU - so it wired in like stock (3 wires: +12V, GND, ECU)

If you're a DIY guy you can buy these off eBay or elsewhere for anywhere from 5 to 10 bucks...then you have to fab up a bracket to hold it and some magnets to trigger it...and it's still a 3 wire system.

Thanks for the tips! I'm running an IRS 002 gearbox and installing 930 CVs and a 3x3 kit from Appletree currently. I see that the Smallcar kit offers a 930 kit, so that might just be what I end up doing... when I get around to the conversion.
danielzink
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Subaru Swap Reply with quote

There's a couple different ways to do a VSS.

Hopefully you're running an IRS gearbox.

If so. The easiest way to go is to get one from Smallcar: https://smallcar.com/vanagon/subaru-vanagon-conversion-parts/hall-effect-speed-sensor-kit.html

this is mine installed on my buggy:

I'm running a 1990 EJ22 ECU - so it wired in like stock (3 wires: +12V, GND, ECU)

If you're a DIY guy you can buy these off eBay or elsewhere for anywhere from 5 to 10 bucks...then you have to fab up a bracket to hold it..and it's still a 3 wire system.

LJ18A3-8-Z/BX

Dan

www.danielzink.com

Last edited by danielzink on Thu Dec 29, 2016 7:09 am; edited 1 time in total
pullstart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: Subaru Swap Reply with quote

otakuphill wrote:
otakuphill wrote:
danielzink wrote:

otakuphill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 1:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Subaru Swap Reply with quote

otakuphill wrote:
danielzink wrote:

otakuphill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 7:44 am    Post subject: Re: Subaru Swap Reply with quote

danielzink wrote:
otakuphill wrote:
After getting kicked off the air cooled pages i formed a group for those of us who are sporting or interested in building a Subaru powered VW

Please join and share you cars and stories on my facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/SubaruBettle/

While I applaud your enthusiasm for the conversion....

There are already a couple of Subaru VW conversion pages out there on FB with very spirited discussions and a ton of tech info that you may want to check out.:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/subaruvolkswagens/

https://www.facebook.com/groups/864424797008986/

Plus the Shoptalkforums has a lot of good info the the Conversion Perversions section:

http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewforum.php?f=19&sid=e53c22019192f730a01419db50a8a608

Dan

Didn't find any of these groups when I was searching it building my car. Why did everyone have closed groups?
otakuphill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 7:39 am    Post subject: Re: Subaru Swap Reply with quote

vwracerdave wrote:
otakuphill wrote:
After getting kicked off the air cooled pages i formed a group for those of us who are sporting or interested in building a Subaru powered VW

I'm not aware of anybody getting kicked off The Samba because they installed a Subaru engine in their VW. Just curious how are VW owners treated on the Subaru forums that put a Subaru engine in other vehicles.

Personally I'm not interested in any VW that transplants another brand of engine into their VW but I don't exclude them from the VW culture.

No issues with the samba. I was kicked off so cal air cooled Facebook and Suecof power when after a discussion started about my swap.
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 5:41 am    Post subject: Re: Subaru Swap Reply with quote

otakuphill wrote:

I'm not aware of anybody getting kicked off The Samba because they installed a Subaru engine in their VW. Just curious how are VW owners treated on the Subaru forums that put a Subaru engine in other vehicles.

Personally I'm not interested in any VW that transplants another brand of engine into their VW but I don't exclude them from the VW culture.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Jump to:
Page 1 of 15

Jump to: