Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Carb Butterfly Removal
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Peter D.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2019 8:42 pm    Post subject: Carb Butterfly Removal Reply with quote

I tore down my carb today (Brazilian H30/31)... I now realize I probably didn't need to remove the butterfly and shaft... anyway, it's REALLY disassembled now. Lot's of parts fiddly parts on the left side of the carb to keep in order.

Anyway, when I removed the butterfly screws on the lower part of the carb, tiny circular shards of metal came off the other side of the shaft. I was not expecting that! I assume I can just loctite the screws back in place? The shaft doesn't appear to be damaged or bent.
Peter D.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2019 9:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Carb Butterfly Removal Reply with quote

Annnnnd the tiny washers on the choke shaft? One of them disintegrated. Hope I can find that at the autoparts store.
FreeBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 12:20 am    Post subject: Re: Carb Butterfly Removal Reply with quote

Hi.When you say that you didn't need to take out the shaft, is it because there is NO wear at the shaft? Otherwise, this would be the opportunity to change shaft or bushings.

Yes, loctite can do, I've never re-peened them. The hardest bit is getting the throttle plate perfectly back in place. You should be able to find a close approximation of the washer.

Best to put loctite on everything that could fall through. But light loctite, if you ever want to take it back apart; these are small screws.
Peter D.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 8:18 am    Post subject: Re: Carb Butterfly Removal Reply with quote

Okay, thanks... I'll use loctite when I put it back. I guess it makes perfect sense that the screws are peened over. It would be fun to have them rattle around the heads while the car is running! I guess they can't be re-peened once they're unscrewed?

On visual inspection I didn't really need to take the choke butterfly apart but I'm glad I did because the washer would have eventually fallen into the head.

Thanks for your help!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: