Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Stripping her off - 1957 Oval
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
0nebadbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, another day and a bit more bling... passenger side is done!
Has anyone here ever said "putting the vent widow rubber in is a pain in the arse?" Geebs! I'm a glazier by trade and work with some of the craziest gaskets on the planet at 50 stories above the ground, but these vent rubbers? CRIPES, it took me 4 hours for that 1 vent gasket alone!

I haven't done this since the mid 80' so as a refresher I went by these as a primer/refresher:
mark_85226 wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jy8xbLlk5dc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PfLqfMJu-70

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82BL3kGrqbY

and they put me back up to speed real quick but... they have the scrapers install out of place... you should put the inside scraper in first then the outter... then feed the felt channel and that way you can tuck the original inner scrape wire into the operating windows felt channel... not to mention that if you put the outter one in first? Your hand aren't small enough to get enough force on the wire to snap them in. what a headache that was!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Will be removing the pops for a full polish, clean and re-gasket shortly just wanted all the stuff on the passenger side of the garage in so I can sort through some of all of these piles sorted out tomorrow so I can make room to get the '65 back in the garage next to her over the weekend.

Even found time today to clean, prep, paint and clean-up and lube up all of the header bow mechs... Shame though that 15 minutes after I finished it it started raining... so those will take a day or two to cure out before I can mess with them... heck, they still look way better than the way they were looking when I pulled them apart, as the previous pics will attest.

Sucks though one of the rivets for one of the header guide wheels kinda went *POOF* while I was cleaning it, old age I guess..

QUESTION: Anyone have a good alternative to replace the now missing guide wheel rivet?
(all the wheels are still perfectly good)

SECOND QUESTION: I know I will have to replace the bow trailers straps, again due to just old age (I was looking at one of my dog leashes today... yeah I know, silly, isn't it?) but I noticed that they are just as flat and are just as solid as the original trailer bow straps (if not even more stout than the originals) are so now I am looking for a dog leash that is just slightly wider and another color other than the blue leash that was hanging on the wall... so the question is, what is the length of the cloth bow trailers, or the correct distance between bows, on a '56 only (round frt corner/square rear corner) style rag-top

I know I can find the material just need to know the distance between bows..

vwsonmybrain
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
(I was looking at one of my dog leashes today... yeah I know, silly, isn't it?)

Not silly at all. It's exactly what I used on my ragtop. I think I was doing the same thing... looking around the garage and happened to see a black leash that was used on our dog when he was a pup. Same width as the bow supports and will probably last longer than the car. Riveted them on just like the original. Looking at it on the car, no one would ever know it used to be a leash.

Can't remember the length, though, but I know there's a sunroof thread on here that does have that info. I think it's in the 58-67 forum. Though, I think I may have ended up figuring it out on my own based on wear marks of where the second bow sits on the aluminum sliders.

I just posted a couple photos in my gallery showing the straps when I was installing them (didn't want to clog up your thread with photos unrelated to your car).
flyertim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:09 pm    Post subject: ragtop strap length Reply with quote

in regards to the ragtop strap, i too was curious about the length.

looks like it should be 12" long.

i found a thread in the '58-'67 forums:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=450329

my '57 rebuild:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=369883
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
0nebadbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 5:40 pm    Post subject: Re: ragtop strap length Reply with quote

flyertim wrote:
in regards to the ragtop strap, i too was curious about the length.

looks like it should be 12" long.

i found a thread in the '58-'67 forums:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=450329
Yeah I found the same thread hunting around prior. when I get past this hump I will measure it and see if the length actually comes up the same in a '56 only model.

Well...
This weekend started out pretty darn good...
First started on the nylon Bow trailers. Bought a pair of dog collars from the dollar store, cut them, left them long (so I can attach them to the second bow down the road), heated up the soldering iron to melt up the cut ends clamped them up with some large alligator clamps and then melted the holes thru the straps after. Sounds easy huh?

--- A couple words of wisdom if you are doing this and not just replacing the original 1/8" rivets. Most 1/8" rivets that you can buy the generic hardware stores usually have very small heads (unless you want to use rivet washers but will look kinda fugly and they will not bite the materials very well). So I went to the next size up, a 3/16" shallow rivet that have 3/8" heads which bite both the metal and fabric great & look alot cleaner but... I don't know what kind of harden or temper process they put on the steel head trailer straps from the header bow but. To simply enlarge those 4 holes from 1/8" to 3/16"? Lets see... I burned up half a dozen 3/16" drill bits, dulled 2 countersinks, snapped a hole ream (that I've abused for over two decades). and I thought all I would be doing was reaming a small hole with a quick drill through... *NOT*!

Those thin silly head bow straps are seriously hardened to never lose their shape for a million years and will dull brand new drill bits in 2 seconds!

After all that I find it was impossible to make the damn camera focus on the new pretty rivets and dog collars.

From there? It went completely down hill.

Lets see where to start... My last order of WW parts came in and I thought I was going to be able to hang the rear deck-lid...so I ordered the nose lens, the metric wing nuts and the hood spring I was missing. Rather than sending what I ordered they sent NO hood spring as it shows in the invoice, got the cheap lens (when I ordered the nice one), 3 headlight drain tubes for a 68+ beetle... HUH? I suppose those all will need to go back with the crap drivers door gasket as well now right after I call them monday.

Then when I thought it couldn't get any worse... TMI brand canvas replacement rag-top the box states "1956 only" and the size of the product on the box says 42.5" x 37"... but when you pull it out of the box and actually throw a tape on it? ...after trying to figure out why I can't fit almost an extra 2" of steel bow into a canvas pocket 2" short after 2 days of struggling with it, The actual material finish size out of the box comes up to only 35-5/8" x 41". After that it doesn't take a rocket scientist to understand that a canvas top is not going to stretch 1-1/2"+ and fit in a 36-5/8" steel header bow !!!
I don't care how good you are. It's just not going to happen, period.

So now first I get to call TMI on Monday and trying and get a replacement on something I bought over 3 years ago... while i listen to them laugh at me. So in the end I imagine I will be out another $200-$300 for second replacement top. And as far as the motor I was thinking of getting next weekend is now going buh-bye.

1 step forward, 3 steps back. Somebody please shoot me. Rolling Eyes
0nebadbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well kind of a slow weekend... but did manage to free up some space and get the rear deck-lid gasket in, the tag-light rebuilt and gasketed & re-installed and the deck-lid, syill needs a bit of adjustment though... And CRIPES!!! The dust that piles up in fall? Crazy! Just blew it off fully last weekend!

And managed to free enough space up to get it's brother '66 parked back next to it... so I imagine they will sneak out of the garage tonight and slip out to the bar tonight and just be happy they are again together in one garage... LOL

And....
Finally the drivers side door vent frame I been hunting will finally be on its way this week...

The S.N.A.F.U. that is on-going with TMI and their canvas rag-top cover being under sized? Should be on it's way back to them in the mail for a replacement tomorrow or Tuesday and with a little luck I will have all of this in my grubby little paws and actually look forward to a busy weekend and actually get something done!
0nebadbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally!
...It took me a month but was well worth it! TMI absolutely stepped up to the plate and addressed the problem of the original canvas cover I purchased from them and it being too narrow. (not to mention that it had sat in its box for over 3 years before I even opened it!)

Had many conversations with them, sent in a pile of pics of the problem, sent them all dimensions and specs off the original one, returned the product with nice templates of both the front and rear bows. And in the end? They made me up a replacement one that is an absolute perfect fit!

The only thing they are leaving to me is to cut the holes for the rear bow clamp. During the conversations with them it sounds like they have run into this on a handful of the '56 only replacement covers especially when it come to the earliest revision 1 style. And it appears if you have the earliest revision of the two fold they can differ from slightly to significant, especially in the length as well as the F/R bow widths. And it sounds as if that they are actually revising their template for the '56 only replacement covers, especially for the very early 8/55 ~ 11/55 build date models.
I love it!
Nice job TMI!

Now if it were warm enough outside today? I could glue up the front bow and trudge forward, but alas, I will have to wait till the weekend while we finish installing the drivers side door glass and channels, sandblast and repaint all of the seat frames and get ready for their Brick Red recover...
0nebadbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So it hit 50 degrees today here.. and the sun was nice too so I managed to glue it up the front bow and anchor the new canvas, I used 3M super77... seems to have gotten a very nice bite... This is the first time I have done this and it came out decent, well for my standards anyway. I imagine once there is some nice hot summer days come next season it will season down nicely. If not? Eh I can gingerly pull it up and do it again... No matter, I still having the satisfaction of I did it myself.

After that I installed the rear tension strap. It wasn't a pain though a bit tedious, while tmi did not punch the holes they did mark them up. So I simply just got a nice sharp pointy object and opened the marks up and dove in my first shot of finally installing it. Took me about 2 hours...

But, once it was secured I find that when I latch it? It seems to need to be alot tighter to make it set nice and flat down the length.. Not a biggie really, I have no problem making something shorter or tighter when there is a hefty amount of extra material to move and eventually shave off.

When I close the roof to this position, just ahead of plunging the latch hole...

I am showing this amount of extra material at the rear tension strip...

So this leads me to a question
When fully latched it will not pull down the fold bows tightly. So, at what point should a canvas cover (I imagine this will apply to either a 3 fold or these early 2 folds)

I know it is a bit chilly out now here and this cover is going to stretch come next summers heat. With that in mind at what point should it become tight.. At the point where the hook meets to close it? .. or should I be leaving an exta inch to pull it to the hole and the latching it tight..

Is there a rule of thumb as to where it should become properly tight just prior to latching?

..Or

am I in trial/error fitting mode of slowly moving the rear tension holes in the canvas forward in 1/2" increments until I get a nice tight fit...

0nebadbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So after installing it 3 times today I found the perfect fit...

In Cat speak it would be "I can haz rag-top"... (I don't have a cats though, but I do have the neighbor cat lady and all of her strays that keeps tearing in my garbage throwing crap all over the place, I have three dogs, they also hate those cats... I hope they will eat them all soon.. seeing as they've already eradicated a 2 acre chipmunk population anyway) ..huh... where was I? Umm, oh yeah, RAG-TOP!!!!!

It was pretty chilly today so I made sure she is good and tight. I know once next summer hits, after a good soak, wash and then left in the sun to dry she should relax and set a little nicer... If not? I guess then I suppose I will just have to nicely remove the contact cemented canvas from the underside of the bow, remove the foam edge from around the underside, as it was when it was original, omit it and then re-cement it.

So far that foam is the only thing I wish I wouldn't have put on, it makes the front seam of the rag sit up a bit, I would rather see it sit flat to the roofs contour... But, only some time will tell...

HEY! MY FIRST SUCCESSFUL GRAFTED RAG-TOP! JOB. DONE!

Another small chapter bites the dust... Now it's onto stripping & painting some seat frames, steering column and a few other miscellaneous small odd parts -N- tidbits this weekend. Hopefully I will be even wrapping the seats with the brick red covers as well... (that's just wishful thinking now)
0nebadbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saturday spent some time sandblasting the fuel tank and some other small misc things and then rattled on some fresh epoxy black paint to the rough, but pristine metal...

Went to all the hardware stores yesterday wanting to get Almond or Ivory color in an epoxy and all every one had was either black or 100% white on hand... So, seeing as most everything in the car is Black anyways, then Black it is! Besides the winter clock is ticking down fast here and working time is really running short.

Still looking better than they did before no matter..

Eh... one itty-bitty small dent, our build was never intended to be a concourse car, just a fun personal preservation destined to only ride into the sun with a smile on my mug, so I'm happy...
(will hit them all with a second coat tomorrow morning)

And here I thought I would just be slamming the new WW cocoa-nut pads on & sliding the covers on tomorrow...HA!! NOT! I will have to hit the fabric store sometime this week to to pickup some Canvas to cover the bare spring faces and would also to lay some 1/2" jute on top of them. I really hope they carry it at Jo-Ann's fabrics here locally. If I have to order out for it, it will just slow me down. And I am in kind of in a GO mode...

Work, work, work... : )=
0nebadbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fired up the MP3 player and started needle and thread by hand.

It's probably over kill but heck why not... Found some synthetic industrial burlap type fabric in the clearance aisle at the fabric store. How can you beat $7 to just cover all the front and rear seat springs. Hopefully it'll keep the new WW fiber pads from being chaffed up from below by the springs down the road. I suppose it can't hurt anyway. Took me 4 hours just to stitch around one front seat back.

WOW! what a buzz-kill!
It's going to be a looooong weekend.

Schwing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

0nebadbug wrote:
So far that foam is the only thing I wish I wouldn't have put on, it makes the front seam of the rag sit up a bit, I would rather see it sit flat to the roofs contour... But, only some time will tell...

I agree 100%. In fact I discussed this with Chris Vallone at a car show back in September since I am guessing you used his DVD for instruction. He said the foam is only really needed for a vinyl top. Well, its too late for us I guess. I guess I could re-do mine this winter but I am sorta taking a break from things for now.

Single Cab - BBXXVII Long Distance Winner
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
0nebadbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Schwing wrote:
0nebadbug wrote:

I agree 100%. In fact I discussed this with Chris Vallone at a car show back in September since I am guessing you used his DVD for instruction. He said the foam is only really needed for a vinyl top. Well, its too late for us I guess. I guess I could re-do mine this winter but I am sorta taking a break from things for now.
I am really thinking bout trying to gently and nicely detaching the canvas from the bow and pulling off that foam as now with as tight as the roof is it has already started rolling upwards a bit so still going to wait and see what some water and some good old fashioned summer heat will do to it come later this year. But I'm not sure if it would adhere as well as it has with the clean fabric. And god I would hate to buy it twice so I may just live with it.

Well moving on... it's been too damn cold to really do anything. And then the entire house here had the flu for a month including me. We do have a nice wood burner in the shop but it takes 2 days to warm everything up to do anything in there and most of the stuff I really need to do I need it hot in there to do it effectively so I've more or less just been putzing with things I can bring in the house and work on them at my leisure in the basement...

But did manage to put in the final front wing and rubber. And let me tell you this it is bad enough doing one in when it's 60 degrees out, did this one with the wood burner roasting up and when it was still only 30 in the garage what a pain in the arse that was! but still came out really nice though. Also managed to get the new WW seat pads in and the TMI Brick Red seat covers on the fronts (thanks Schwing I love em) the passengers side came out perfect but for some reason the drivers side just looks kinda poofy at the top of the back so I'm assuming that also just needs some ambient sun and that should settle in as well.

Hopefully I will have the rears ready over the next week (or three) and just keep putzing forward on any other things that I can manage to tackle in this damn cold.

And while doing a Craigslist junket for something completely different I wound up finding a donor 1600DP to buid-up on come this season, not sure what I'm going to build it into yet, but it will be something nice. As well managed to pick up another short term motor locally for the nice price, I'll put a pic up of it after I pick it up in 2 weeks. At least that will let me be able to drive it while I build on the other one this coming season... seeing as my son stole my other 1300 I was going to use for mine after his turbo toy went kablooey. So it makes sense I guess.
0nebadbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well...

Other than hating winter and pretty much getting nothing done recently, I decided to make a short YouTube (and sheer boredom while hand stitching burlap onto the rear seat frames readying them for their new WW fibers & TMI covers) of the progress to date with the the trials and tribulations my '57 has blessed us with over the now 3+ year journey with her... She will be on the road come this late spring (right after we move into our new house next month) and am looking forward to a fun filled summer with her, can't wait...

I hope you enjoy.

Link

^^ use the link if you want to watch in HD : )=
0nebadbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow what a waste of a year... or weekend.. err year.. WTF I dunno even know anymore!

Bought a new house
packed all our stuff
loaded it the truck, unloaded the truck and 3 month later still looking at feaking boxes full of "we saved this why?...
but finally some headroom, or so I thought...

Yesterday we bought a 1957 Ladarwi Sebring,

Today we managed to snag a sort-of correct 36hp for the oval!
Yeah I know, beggars can't be choosy and either way I am still happy about all of it!

And next weekend she will be moved to her new home to finally getting the final push to get her back on the road!

Cjm005
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great job so far.... I really like the satin black!
0nebadbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks CJ... I like it too....

Well... I finnally got moved this weekend to our new hose and boy she got dusty..... and finally after the last 6 days of this that & everything else finally a free day to actually do something on it... Today I pulled the old harness out and pulled the new one and did it solo! Man what a piece of cake, took all of 15 minutes. But somehow I think it's going take me quite a bit longer to put back in all the little things to hook it all back up. I see a few long weekend nights coming and if I keep it up? I might even get a bit of time left in the season to actually plate it and drive it this year!

Found this badge this weekend anyone know anything about them? It's actually nice made of metal and porcelain. I don't think its real old but kinda cool none the less might put it on the oval grill maybe....

0nebadbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been trying to show her some love over the last few weekends and trying to be fully ready for the new TMI Sand Tweed headliner that should be here in the next few weeks... Also working on the new wiring harness... oh boy... nothing like have a Euro spec car and buying the USA spec harness and trying to figure out the workaround to actually run Semaphores with an isolated blinker setup... What a pain in the forking asp!

....Not to mention by working off the original schematics here in the tech section and between trying to figure out WW's 56/57 replacement harness (made by WiringWorks) I'm seriously trying to figure out why specific wires are the wrong colors (WW's schematic says gray/red wire but there is none in the loom, anywhere) and still can't figure out why I have a pair of original Green/White/Black wires in the original upper harness from the factory semaphore's signal circuit... it's been frying my brain for 2 days straight now... I can see I am going to have to start another thread to help me sort this out if I can't nail this down tomorrow...

Finished up the side windows.... ran the trim moldings, all latches now function, front & rear deck-lids all on and working great now... 90% of the sound proofing is done, only have the wheel humps in the rear to cover and thet is done..!

Bought a windshield about a year ago to use as a template for the new windshield that is now ready to go and as a bonus got an original piece of rear window trim in damn near perfect condition! Unfortunately the free oval glass he gave me is going to need about 4 hours of cerium buffing to get the ugly scratches off it... Thank god I got my original one that is in far better condition.. I will still buff this one up though and send it to the classifieds...
: )=

And of course little by little the bits all go on....

Hi I'm a hood with a silver stripe...

0nebadbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome! My son finished cleaning up and detailing the engine yesterday...

Yeah I know a few parts are wrong, dist, carb... but that'll be changed come spring after the Judson comes back from being rebuilt... Wink

Now if I could figure out this damn wiring I'd probably be able to drive it next weekend but unfortunately I'm not a wiring whiz at all and its going to take me a bit to make it all right... Having poor eye sight don't help either...
0nebadbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Schwing & saving me a few bucks! Covers all look great!

After 3 days of sitting in the Sun warming and stretching I was finally able to pull the bottom seam all the way down to the factory hooks... what a pain in that was but came out great!

And bought a new Aluminum Blue jack & matching stands from harbor freight... under $100 for all : )=

And of course... my son had to go buy his wife a new car... Now I hate him...

Come next spring between the '13 Vert, '66 Sedan, '57 Rag & the '57 LaDawri to choose from? ...Who's driving what.. ???
It's going to be like a family VW show in the driveway, cripes..! Cool
0nebadbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome... The vroom-vroom came home today... Need to correct a few bits & pieces but, perfect bill of health... The streets are only a short matter of time now.

Link

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 5 of 10

Jump to: