Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Show off your Dune Buggy or SandRail
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22 ... 30, 31, 32  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
8lue8uggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 8:53 am    Post subject: Barstow Reply with quote

Copper City behind Barstow.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Soundkillr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had added some pics of my rail earlier but, now I have installed a new 2276 turn key with Ida's, some new mirrors, and new gauges. It's like an all new buggy!

And my new led turn signal mirrors. These are for Harley's and are heavy duty. Really nice mirrors. Turn signals on inside and outside of housings.

And my new set of gauges. I use the GPS to tell me my speed.....
[/img]
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice Celica!!!
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Soundkillr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dustymojave wrote:
Nice Celica!!!

Good eye! My father bought that car brand new. Been in the family ever since. Now for 10 Internet points....know the year? Smile
GreenImp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tore up the Oregon Dunes for 10-15 years with this one before letting it go about 5 years ago. I switched to YFZ-450's and Raptor 700's which were certainly fun, but now I'm in the market to get back in a Sandrail.

Oh...and it looks like about a '77 Celica GT Coupe to me? NICE!

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Soundkillr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very close! It's a 75. Btw that rail looks like an animal. What were you running in that as far as engine? Was it IRS or swing axle?

GreenImp wrote:
I tore up the Oregon Dunes for 10-15 years with this one before letting it go about 5 years ago. I switched to YFZ-450's and Raptor 700's which were certainly fun, but now I'm in the market to get back in a Sandrail.

Oh...and it looks like about a '77 Celica GT Coupe to me? NICE!

GreenImp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Soundkillr wrote:
Very close! It's a 75. Btw that rail looks like an animal. What were you running in that as far as engine? Was it IRS or swing axle?

It was a Pro built 2007 with Magnum 44 heads paired with a Swingaxle with close ratio Weddle 1st through 4th and a Bus Ring & Pinion (if I remember correctly). It was a ton of fun, and frankly I regret letting it go at this point.
smoked u
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2332 Stroker. Dual 48mm's, Fuel Injected, dropped spindles, chrome diamondplate floor, wakeboard tower speakers w/marine head unit, Mickey T's, Kirkey seats/covers, custom powder coated heaxagonal fuel tank, Glass windshield, tinted plexi top, Gene Berg old school shifter, blah blah blah. I like it, that's what matters!
Turtle-Dude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 7:22 am    Post subject: 2387 injected NA Johnny Speed and Chrome? Reply with quote

My wife and I acquired this rail two years ago, we have yet to take it out. Waiting on the repower of our Westy diesel to use as tow vehicle. This thing is built WELL. billet everywhere, Beard seats, Simpson harnesses, 2387cc w/relatively low compression for pump gas, CB Performance fuel injection, Rancho built pyramid transmission, everything sealed, split loomed and wire tied..etc. If anyone can positively identify the chassis I would much appreciate it.

dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Originally from Jim's Trailer and Sand Buggy in San Diego California, this frame design has been made by many companies since the 1970s. Johnny's Speed And Chrome sold a lot of them. I believe Jim's was still making those. These days the Invader is the only design tube frame buggy available in England.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Turtle-Dude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dustymojave wrote:
Originally from Jim's Trailer and Sand Buggy in San Diego California, this frame design has been made by many companies since the 1970s. Johnny's Speed And Chrome sold a lot of them. I believe Jim's was still making those. These days the Invader is the only design tube frame buggy available in England.

Thanks! The modification to open up the "head room" area of the chassis kept throwing me off as well as I keep seeing two different styles of rear diagonal down tubes. Anything I should be aware of with this chassis?
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the world of tube frame sand rails, there is a great deal of personalization. Note the rear shock mounts on your car vs those on the Invader of the poster just before you. And the front shock mounts...etc.

Jim's original frames had the rear bumper cage mounting to the rear braces at the outer end of the side "hoops" instead of several inches forward of the bend. Jim's even made special fiberglass seats for the Invader which were more leaned back to accommodate the low roll cage and move the weight of the people further back. I've been told that was hard on the lower back on landings and over whoops.

As far as issues with the frame...No problems I'm aware of. Your front shock setup may have trouble with beating the shocks apart due to extra short travel. And may have a tendency to crack the frame near the shock bolts.

One thing of note is that this sort of very light front/rearward weight bias chassis design is now quite old school in the dunes, but still lots of fun and still quite popular. That weight bias makes the car easy to wheelie, the front tires skim the surface and won't turn like a more modern chassis (pros and cons there), and gives it a tendency to endo when airborne. The heavier rear end mass has more inertia and thus wants to fly farther than the lighter mass of the front. This leads to tail-high landings. That's kinda like tying a whiffle ball to a baseball with a string and throwing them together. The baseball will pull the whiffle ball through the air. So beware of that when you start out driving it. You'll quickly get used to it.
SoCalBajas Member
Turtle-Dude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the great advice. Supposedly this thing will hold the nose fully in the air through 3rd gear, good thing there is a push-pull steering brake to the left of the steering wheel. As for jumping, I'm 41 years old, I intend to stay on or near the ground. Wink
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the world of tube frame sand rails, there is a great deal of personalization. Note the rear shock mounts on your car vs those on the Invader of the poster just before you. And the front shock mounts...etc. And don't confuse the Invader with other frames like the Berrien Stalker.
http://www.acmecarco.com/index.php/berrien-buggy/sand-rails/2-seat/stalker

Jim's original frames had the rear bumper cage mounting to the rear braces at the outer end of the side "hoops" instead of several inches forward of the bend. Jim's even made special fiberglass seats for the Invader which were more leaned back to accommodate the low roll cage and move the weight of the people further back. I've been told that was hard on the lower back on landings and over whoops.

As far as issues with the frame...No problems I'm aware of. Your front shock setup may have trouble with beating the shocks apart due to extra short travel. And may have a tendency to crack the frame near the shock bolts.

One thing of note is that this sort of very light front/rearward weight bias chassis design is now quite old school in the dunes, but still lots of fun and still quite popular. That weight bias makes the car easy to wheelie, the front tires skim the surface and won't turn like a more modern chassis (pros and cons there), and gives it a tendency to endo when airborne. The heavier rear end mass has more inertia and thus wants to fly farther than the lighter mass of the front. This leads to tail-high landings. That's kinda like tying a whiffle ball to a baseball with a string and throwing them together. The baseball will pull the whiffle ball through the air. So beware of that when you start out driving it. You'll quickly get used to it.
SoCalBajas Member
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another note...
Those frames are also known under the name "Fugitive".
SoCalBajas Member
Dreaded1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Soundkillr wrote:

Absolutely love the minimalistic style of your gauges. I need to do something like that this year. I hate the tower of gauges I have now. At 6 foot I need all the room I can get out of my rail.
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The corners of that box look like nasty shin gougers. And the underslung tach could do some shin banging too.
SoCalBajas Member
Soundkillr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dustymojave wrote:
The corners of that box look like nasty shin gougers. And the underslung tach could do some shin banging too.

Never been an issue, my shins don't even come close. The tach isn't near any part of me either. Of course this thing is set up for street use, so large jolts, and jumps aren't an issue. They are both set so far forward they don't get in the way.
cjpryor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 5:26 pm    Post subject: Mid-engine Corvair Sand Rail Reply with quote

Build for sand drags it originally had only air shocks in the rear. I replaced one set with coil over Fox shocks. I put new read tires and a Holley Truck Avenger off-road carb on it. The young man in the picture is my son.

I have links to many videos here. I will pick some for the video forum.

Clay
brooksinc1976
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joining the show off club~ha. Here are my squealers and my buggy...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22 ... 30, 31, 32  Next
Jump to:
Page 21 of 32

Jump to: