Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

BGW Spectre Hebmuller Kit: Any hints, tips or tricks?
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
soundcatcher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Russ Wolfe wrote:
What do you want to bet it had a $.99 fuel filter in the engine compartment.

Possibly or old perished fuel hose...I'll never know but at least it wasn't terminal!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Thanatos
Samba Psychopomp

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 11:11 am    Post subject: Re: BGW SUCKS! Reply with quote

soundcatcher wrote:
Old Grimey wrote:
Now that I've thought about it more, I've been considering a Wizard Roadster kit (VW bug into a roadster) rather than anything from BGW, thanks to things like what you just mentioned- as well as the possible problem of the finished Heb kit being passed off as the real McCoy after I'm dead (I don't want to come back as a ghost to haunt an Ebay seller, an auctioneer or a car dealer for the rest of his/her life! Very Happy ), as well as the Wizard kit being an original idea as opposed to knocking off a timeless classic. Does anyone have the website for the maker of Wizard Roadsters, if they're still around? (I know that they are/were in the UK, but that's about the it of it)

OG

Here's the link to the current owners of the Wizard Kits. http://www.z2web.co.uk/beetlezone/kits.htm. Wizard Roadsters went out of business years ago...for that matter the rumour mill has it that the current owners are no longer trading...... I don't know this for a fact so the only way to find out is if you try and get in touch and see what kind of a response you get..... You'll laugh at this.....I've just bought what I believe to be a BGW Spectre Malibu Speedster that was imported to the UK a little over 10 years ago and has sat in a garage in the middle of nowhere for around the last 8. It's had a small engine fire at some point but nothing disasterous...... Here's a few pics.....It uses a '71 1302 as a donor....

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Nice car there. If you were to go back to a stock Beetle dash or a custom fiberglass piece, and lose the tacky "Speedster" door threshold plates, it'd be pretty cool. Looking at the Wizard Roadsters site, the 4-seater Hi-Line roadster looks pretty appealing, and could be a basis for a phantom coachbuilt with the addition of the ersatz split-window bits I mentioned and a Flat-4 banjo or Mid-America Motorworks Rometsch-style steering wheel. I'll definitely keep those in mind, and if they're still available and I can get the dough together for a 4-seat Hi-Line kit, a bug and everything needed for the project, I'll probably get a build thread together, complete with pics and detailed descriptions of what I've done. Smile

OG
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
soundcatcher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 12:52 pm    Post subject: Re: BGW SUCKS! Reply with quote

Old Grimey wrote:
Nice car there. If you were to go back to a stock Beetle dash or a custom fiberglass piece, and lose the tacky "Speedster" door threshold plates, it'd be pretty cool. Looking at the Wizard Roadsters site, the 4-seater Hi-Line roadster looks pretty appealing, and could be a basis for a phantom coachbuilt with the addition of the ersatz split-window bits I mentioned and a Flat-4 banjo or Mid-America Motorworks Rometsch-style steering wheel. I'll definitely keep those in mind, and if they're still available and I can get the dough together for a 4-seat Hi-Line kit, a bug and everything needed for the project, I'll probably get a build thread together, complete with pics and detailed descriptions of what I've done. Smile

OG

Cheers. Not sure what I'm gonna do with the dash yet. I don't think I can go stock as 1302's came with a flat screen and this has a curves screen so that options out. I'll probably get it back on the road first and work that one out later. As for the door plates. I'll live with them for a while and see the responses I get from other VW owners here in the UK. And I'll see how I feel about them.... The only certainty I have at the moment is the engine tidy, fitting a pair of baby dells and some sort of remote entry and alarm system with solenoid doors, central locking and electric widows...

If you keep an eye out on ebay uk there always seem to be either half finished wizard kits or un-fitted kits coming up for sale...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: