Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Finally he first trip.
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
65MANX
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:14 pm    Post subject: Finally he first trip. Reply with quote

Allright got my buggy peiced together enough to take her for the first run in the desert (within walking distance from house Laughing ). it went ok except i noticed when going down down a hill the front breaks just lock up and slide. Ive heard of people switching the wheel clyinders from front to rear and vise versa i was womdering if i was able to do this with minimal fabraciation. i have a 65 pan swing axle rear and link pin front. Question
hottarod
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well my car has a link pin front end with IRS rear. I got the correct wheel cylinders for a 64 link pin and 68 IRS and the cylinders were a simple swap. I already have them all installed. I don't have my ride together where I can test the change yet.
Endoboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 64 chassis. What I did was take rear cylinders from a 68+ and put them on front. There's no other mod needed, and they work with your current backing plates and brake shoes. This almost perfectly matches them for power to the rear brakes, and you almost never skid the fronts anymore unless you try to.

The only downside is that you have less braking power. So it takes more force at the pedal to get it to stop. But since you shed a lot of weight when you dumped the original body, I think it balances out. If you put a bigger motor or a lot of additional weight back onto the car with racks and spares and such, you might want to get some type 3 brake rear backing plates and drums and then you can beef up the rears to match the fronts. More work, but then you have massively powerful brakes for this application. Haven't tried that but have seen them in action and they work great.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: