Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Mods for better lifter and rocker lubrication..
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ALB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 11:32 am    Post subject: Mods for better lifter and rocker lubrication.. Reply with quote

Has any one done the Bob Hoover lifter,case and rocker mods for better lifter and rocker lubrication?

http://bobhooversblog.blogspot.com/2007/05/hvx-mods.html

I know lots of guys have done the lifter mod (Berg used to sell modified lifters) but has anyone done everything? Any comments?
Almost Alive
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a well known company tell me "that book must be 20+ years old, a good read but shouldn't be taken for more than that" which I'm really not sure I agree with.
rsorak
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob's a sharp guy if he says it's good I trust him.
ALB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Almost Alive wrote:
I had a well known company tell me "that book must be 20+ years old, a good read but shouldn't be taken for more than that" which I'm really not sure I agree with.

To what "book" would you be referring to?

rsorak- I think he is too.
neil68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 5:04 pm    Post subject: 20-year-old books Reply with quote

I see this "old book" reason posted from time to time on the internet...however, think about it first. If you have a stock-style ACVW engine, then chances are that in many cases you still have basically 40-year-old technology-ie. mag engine case, flat tappets, VW crank, rods, Mahle pistons, etc, so the base engine is still the same, for the most part. You have to really analyze your combo, to see what makes sense.

If you've got an aftermarket case, then it's a different story...

Der Kleiner Rennwagens
68 Beetle 2332 cc, 204 WHP
12.5 seconds @ 107 mph
Dynojet Test: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9B_H3eklAo
ALB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 8:08 am    Post subject: Re: mods for better lifter and rocker lubrication.. Reply with quote

ALB wrote:
Has any one done the Bob Hoover lifter,case and rocker mods for better lifter and rocker lubrication?

http://bobhooversblog.blogspot.com/2007/05/hvx-mods.html

I know lots of guys have done the lifter mod (Berg used to sell modified lifters) but has anyone done everything? Any comments?

You mean no one here has done this? If you haven't read the link above yet, it's an interesting read. Mr Hoover's been around.
Jimmy111
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did the lifter modification quite often. Many of the VW motors I built were to operate machinery and ran untill they burnt up. The lifter mod does help to keep the lifter bores round if they are round in the first place. But the biggest advantage is more oil and cooling to the head and valve springs. You can run higher comopression and your springs last much longer.
Unkl Ian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Almost Alive wrote:
I had a well known company tell me "that book must be 20+ years old, a good read but shouldn't be taken for more than that" .

Were they referring to Berg's Blue Book ?
theastronaut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll be performing the Hoover oiling mods to my 2110 when I build it. Will be using Pauter roller rockers and after reading up on them, the valve springs really need the extra oil in the rocker box to keep the springs cool when using Pauter style rockers. I'll be doing a detailed build thread; ill try to show some pics of the mods when I get that far with it.

Jimmy, do you know how much the head temps dropped when you did the lifter mods? And as mentioned in Bob Hoover's blog, did you see increased oil temps and, if so, how much higher were they? I had run across Hoover's blog a few weeks ago on the oiling mods, but it didn't cross my mind that with the decrease in head temps, the compression ratio could be increased. Interesting way to cool the heads and valve springs while increasing lifter, rocker, and valve spring life.

'64 Beetle Sunroof OG Bahama Blue
'63 Beetle Vert
'66 Beetle
'88 Festiva L
'89 Festiva L
'64 Chevy C10
'66 Chevy C10
ralf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unkl Ian wrote:
Almost Alive wrote:
I had a well known company tell me "that book must be 20+ years old, a good read but shouldn't be taken for more than that" .

Were they referring to Berg's Blue Book ?

if so.. haha thats a real clever post,

has nuthin to do with hoover
Marv [UK]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At some point in the future I intend making a motor with all the hvx mods but at the moment it's beyond my current tool capability.

The mod that is the most interesting is the increase of oil to the right hand case half with the additional cross drilling. I would be most interested in doing this.

Some of the mods have been already done by the aftermarket parts venders. For example scat bolt up rocker shafts already have the oiling groove. As for the accuracy of the groove location remains to be seen.

Bob Hoover was quite explicit though, it's pointless doing just one or two of the mods.... all have to be done to see the effects he wrote about
Sigurd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just saw this article a few days ago and it has me thinking. Is this a common thing that people do? Does every builder do this? I'm using Scat 1.25 rockers and Udo's lifters. I know the Scat rockers have an oil passage from the cup through the arm to the shaft. If a lifter has two grooves, does it need to be modified further? I'm also not too keen on drilling through my brand-new bronze sleeves...
Lawrence_0485
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if the above mods are done, could you expect to see lower head temps from the added oil flow?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will show you a better oil wash for the lifters. I machine 2 nipples and holes at 45 degrees to spray oil on the lifter contact areas. YOu only do one side as the oil will roll all the way around.

And you do not need to gouge out the case for it. The nipples go between the lifters bosses and tap the galley there.

I also found piston squirt nipples to tap into the case main webs. And the donor part is everywhere in the VW swaps...stuff nobody cares for. Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GDOG57
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Corvair engines have a small hole(.024) in the side of the pushrod to lubricate the rockers and springs. As the pushrod actuates the rocker and valve, it rotates,spraying oil out the hole lubricating everything in the valve cover. Which is six pushrods in this case,per side.

I am going to try this method with my next engine build.

Last edited by GDOG57 on Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bugninva
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spraybars.... Wink

GEX has. Just sayin
Jimmy111
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

theastronaut wrote:
I'll be performing the Hoover oiling mods to my 2110 when I build it. Will be using Pauter roller rockers and after reading up on them, the valve springs really need the extra oil in the rocker box to keep the springs cool when using Pauter style rockers. I'll be doing a detailed build thread; ill try to show some pics of the mods when I get that far with it.

Jimmy, do you know how much the head temps dropped when you did the lifter mods? And as mentioned in Bob Hoover's blog, did you see increased oil temps and, if so, how much higher were they? I had run across Hoover's blog a few weeks ago on the oiling mods, but it didn't cross my mind that with the decrease in head temps, the compression ratio could be increased. Interesting way to cool the heads and valve springs while increasing lifter, rocker, and valve spring life.

I got about a 10 degree CHT drop and didnt notice any gain on the oil temp. Cutting the lifters doubles the amount of oil flow to the heads.
Sigurd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What exactly are you cutting out of the lifters? Sorry, I can't see Hoover's pics right now.
Alamitos Bays
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:37 am    Post subject: "20 year old book" Reply with quote

I bet the poster was referring to Muir's book.
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You cut a groove between the two oil channels that wrap around the lifer so oil is available all the time not just during certain points when the cam pushes the lifter and aligns it with the oil hole in the case.

If you have your case bushed most places offer a modification where a groove is cut into the bronze bushing so that the oil will flow all the time instead of having to modify the lifter.

I am not sure I would cut the groove in the Udo lifters just do to cost without first discussing it with Udo.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: