Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Locky's Build up
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vgajames
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow first time i seen this thread.I thought my Thing needed a lot of work til i seen what all you did.You are a true craftsman my freind.Great job.
Gives me hope to get it done on mine.I did weld up my first rust hole today actually. Wink
locky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Took her for the first real drive last night. Pretty stoked. I still have quite a list to do until I have it totally dialed, including:
Roll Bar, bumpers, speedo, fuel gauge, Real seat belts. The clutch is feeling pretty crappy and I seem to be having a hard time getting it adjusted properly, hard to get it into first sometimes. It seems once I get going under load it shifts in without a problem. I am really hoping I can get it right, and that I didn't do something wrong when I installed the engine. As far as the engine goes, it has a crap load of power. It isn't running like a top though. I talked to Chico and he said I should change the idle jets from 55 to 52. I did and it did run better but is still stuttering. I have a set of 50's that I will pop in to try out to see if that does any better. Dual webers have alot of adjustment, kinda scares me.
Steering and suspension is tight. I still need to back the rear off a notch due to the plates resting on the stops, hugs the road nicely. The disc brakes work awesome. Air scoops are ready but waiting to put them on until the engine is dialed. The only way to get to the jets without taking off the carbs is though the air ducts.
Here are a couple of pics from last night taken at the Bonnington Dam just below my house in Nelson, BC.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

GI Joe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

locky wrote:
Took her for the first real drive last night. Pretty stoked.

From those rubber strips left on the pavement, I'd say you Were Pretty stoked!! Not bad for a 4cyl spinning AT's!!! LOL!!! Wink

Looks great! You're a few steps ahead of mine right now.
I'll start a build thread, someday....
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8080337#8080337
www.NLEOMF.com
Respect, Honor, Remember
doublecanister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

locky wrote:
Took her for the first real drive last night. Pretty stoked. I still have quite a list to do until I have it totally dialed, including:
Roll Bar, bumpers, speedo, fuel gauge, Real seat belts. The clutch is feeling pretty crappy and I seem to be having a hard time getting it adjusted properly, hard to get it into first sometimes. It seems once I get going under load it shifts in without a problem. I am really hoping I can get it right, and that I didn't do something wrong when I installed the engine. As far as the engine goes, it has a crap load of power. It isn't running like a top though. I talked to Chico and he said I should change the idle jets from 55 to 52. I did and it did run better but is still stuttering. I have a set of 50's that I will pop in to try out to see if that does any better. Dual webers have alot of adjustment, kinda scares me.
Steering and suspension is tight. I still need to back the rear off a notch due to the plates resting on the stops, hugs the road nicely. The disc brakes work awesome. Air scoops are ready but waiting to put them on until the engine is dialed. The only way to get to the jets without taking off the carbs is though the air ducts.
Here are a couple of pics from last night taken at the Bonnington Dam just below my house in Nelson, BC.

Hey the Lights work! Very Happy

PS: not sure if I'm right but the shifting part, I know i've had to adjust my shifter before, if that wasnt setup right, it will shift into gear (or not) klunky. make sure you've properly adjusted your gear shifter so it shifts like it should, there's a procedure for that, all done in the cabin with the 2 bolts, shifter and that little plate underneath.

Looks good man!

I got my light in, ran into a new discovered broke part.
check my hella headlight thread for details.

See ya Locky!

Nice THING man.

T
1966 - Mustang GT- Fastback
1951 - Ford F1 pickup Flathead V8
saddlesore1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

looks great love the waterfall backdrop.
What are your plans for the ear muffs. I was some cool billet ones. but, they are a lot a bit (not a little bit) pricey.
90runner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice.
Cowcaddens
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

locky wrote:
Steering and suspension is tight. I still need to back the rear off a notch due to the plates resting on the stops, hugs the road nicely. The disc brakes work awesome. Air scoops are ready but waiting to put them on until the engine is
dialed. The only way to get to the jets without taking off the carbs is though the air ducts.

Quote:

Well she looks great. Can't wait to sit in her nd go a drive through the mountains. Well done Locky....Peter
locky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Cowcaddins, we will get that done, for sure.
I have been going on longer laps on the highway and backroads. When I get it up to speed it pulls really strong. Has a ton of Torque. I am still trying to figure out the stumbling at low to medium RPM's. I swapped out the idle jets from 55 to 52, and then to 50. Still blowing a little black smoke and stumbling. So I have to figure that out. I am really happy with the motor and Chico has been great to work with. It likes to go.
Got the bumpers on today as well as the speedo working.
Heard some clicking from the rear right corner and climbed under to check. Found that the CV bolts were loose. I am going to give it the once-over now since it's been rolling for a week and tighten everything up.
locky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A quick update.
Up until today the engine was still running rough. I spoke with Chico a couple of times and he suggested to check the fuel pressure. I bought a vacuum/ fuel pressure tester and hooked it up to my out line on my fuel pump. I got 9psi, which is way too much. This would explain why I was running through so much fuel, blowing black smoke and smelling gas. I called him back and he told me to pull the pump off and grind down about the thickness of a nickel off of the top of the rod. I did that and checked again. 5.5 psi. I took it out did another little grind and got it down to 4.5 psi. I'm running dual Weber idf 44's. I also bought a timing light and checked the timing. It was sitting at about 27DEG advance. I tuned that up to about 30-32. 10 deg at idle. I immediately heard a difference in the idle. I took it for a spin and did not get the stumble at mid RPM that I was getting before. I am still getting a little backfiring while coasting downhill. I pulled the plugs and they are black. I guess from the fuel and timing issues. I will replace those and hopefully that will take care of the misfiring. Chico has been awesome to work with. Very helpful and available. The 10 pages of positive feedback are well deserved with this guy, and would like to say if anyone is considering him to do your build, don't hesitate. He is great, and the engine kicks ass!!! Cool
I am very happy with the handling, it hugs the road unbelievably, and the AC Industry disc brakes work flawlessly and were super easy to install and adjust. I highly recommend them.
I bought some tube bending plans online that use an 8 ton air/hydraulic long ram jack, and some dies from pro tools. I am going to build that and then use it to fab up my 1 1/2" roll bar. I will post pics of that when I start on it.
Overall, pretty stoked. Just need to fine tune the ride now.
More to come.
locky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been driving a fair bit lately. I still thought the engine needed some dialing. I bought a carb synchmeter. Really easy to use. I found that I had twice the amount of air flow in one carb compared to the other, so I adjusted for that and found the engine ran smoother. I got the idle pretty good. I had some messing to do with the linkage and got that right. I also adjusted the mixture screws to where I thought they were right. Last night I did my first oil change and valve adjustment. The valves were pretty far out when I checked them.. I talked to Chico and he told me to adjust them to .002. I did so, and took it for a ride this morning. What a difference the valve adjustment did. Waaaaay smoother and no shudder while letting out the clutch in first. Always progressing!!!
doublecanister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:57 am    Post subject: hey Reply with quote

Hey Locky,

any luck with the head light adjustments?

Ment to tell you, had mine out last weekend, got some good Top down cruzing,
the headlights were tested good that night, the low beams were good enough (adj up enough) that i really didnt need hi beams and no-one flashed me the 35miles home. so they are just right.

The Hi beams, were awesome! I think I'm very satisfied with these H4 Halogens now, this was the best test drive so far, it's just started to get darker quicker here, so it's been really the first time on a good test.

Hope ya get em aimed good, let me know if i can assist any further.

T
locky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Doubles. I did a little messing with the alignment, seems better. I had my gauge panel apart last week and when I put it back together, no lights. I took it apart and got the high beams working but when I put it back together, no lights again. Aaahhh! I haven't been driving at night so I haven't got into it but will soon because the days are getting shorter. It must be grounding out on something. I haven't had the low beams working at all yet so I need to spend some time on them as well. Fuel gauge isn't working either so I am constantly putting in fuel to make sure I don't run out. I have coasted into the gas station a few times as well as running out a few other times. Good news is she is running strong. Keep u posted. I also have some good logging road shits to post as well .
H
doublecanister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

locky wrote:
Hey Doubles. I did a little messing with the alignment, seems better. I had my gauge panel apart last week and when I put it back together, no lights. I took it apart and got the high beams working but when I put it back together, no lights again. Aaahhh! I haven't been driving at night so I haven't got into it but will soon because the days are getting shorter. It must be grounding out on something. I haven't had the low beams working at all yet so I need to spend some time on them as well. Fuel gauge isn't working either so I am constantly putting in fuel to make sure I don't run out. I have coasted into the gas station a few times as well as running out a few other times. Good news is she is running strong. Keep u posted. I also have some good logging road shits to post as well .
H

hey Locky,
Oh the Joy's of owning a older vehicle! Very Happy
Sounds like you may have an electrical issue, but just for kicks,
My fuel guage wasnt working either, found out the 'float' had a crack in it, filled up with gas and sunk, was always showing empty.
I fixed it with a black zip tie, removed the float from the gas tank, dried it,
used a lighter , melted the ziptie, used it to 'weld' the crack in the float.
believe it or not, it's still working been 2yrs.

I figurd it was trash so it was on of them. "I wonder if this would work' ideas....

Keep on you'll get it done soon I hope.
keep in touch bro!

T
locky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks T.
I have a new sending unit so I don't think that is it. I just need to spend and afternoon going through everything.
I finally had a chance to take it onto some dirt on Sunday for a test. My buddies were putting on a Mountain Bike Race and I volunteered to do the support and first aid at the top of the first drop in. Sara and I loaded up at 7AM with some tools and some coffee and baileys. Met up for the pre race meeting and then headed up the mountain to start a fire and wait for the riders. I didn't have a spare because when I ordered my wheels I didn't think of it. So we took the chance anyway. We had 12 km of pretty good logging road and then had to turn off at a spur road that got pretty rough and overgrown. I knew there was one spot that would be the crux and was a little worried that we possibly would get shut down there. We got to the spot and Sara got out to video it. A huge rock in the middle that was unpassable and a pretty good rut in front of it. I first tried the right line and got stuck spinning the tires. I backed out and elected for a short run in on the left line. I started to spin there as well so I backed down to the bottom of the pitch and punched it. I had to swing wide into the bush but made it. Psyced!!! The rest was a cakewalk. The thing performed beautifully. I still need to mess with the suspension, but man this thing is great offroad. Here is a vid of me coming back down. The up vid is on my wifes phone so I will post that later

http://www.youtube.com/my_videos_edit?ns=1&video_id=m8681DuwwUg&next=%2Fmy_videos

Got back to town and went for a bite. When we came back to the car I noticed the back right passenger tire was flat. Good timing!! Pumped it up, it was a slow leak so I made it home. I had a look and found a 1 inch diameter sticking into the tire between the tread. It's done, so ordered another wheel and two tires. No bushing without a spare from now on. I also found, when I took my wheel off that the inner CV boot was completely done as well. I only have about 200 miles on them and they are new. I guess it's true what they say about chinese crap. Luckily I still have my originals and will use one of them for now.
More to come!![youtube][/youtube][youtube][/youtube][youtube][/youtube]
locky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Crux. Sure doesn't look like much on Video.

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheLockhurst?feature=mhee

If anyone can help me on the youtube tags and how to get the video screen on this post instead of just the link, it would be much appreciated. I have tried using the youtube tags but can't seem to get it.
Thanks
sgotwalks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Thang! Look at that Thang go!! Pretty cool Thang on the bridge!!! On a more serious note.......did you intentionally time the completion of your Thing with the release of the new remake of John Carpenter's 1982 classic 'The Thing', in theaters everywhere as we speak?

Oh, and about that pink jacket?
locky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok Winter is over here and it's time to get some things done on the thing. I had a list left over from last year but did't get to any of it.
I wasn't happy with the rear suspension as it was way too stiff. Reindexing 2 outers had it resting on the stops. Trying to get the springplates back into posistion was next to impossible due to the massive tension of going with 2 notches. It took me awhile. Anyway last night I got to turning them back 1 on both sides. The job istself was pretty easy, especially dealing with new bolts. A little finnicky getting the plate into posistion to get it over the stop, I used the chain around the shock mount and jack method. With one notch it was way easier to jack up. I did both sides in about 2 hours start to finish. One notch took me just above the bolt hole of the springplate while it was off the stop. Now the back end is sitting a little lower then the front due to the adjusters up front, but the shocks actually work now. I would jump on the bumper prior to doing this and it wouldn't move so now I will actually have some suspension.
One thing I noticed, after doing the drivers side first, and going over to the passenger side to do it was that the plate was no longer sitting on the stop???? I hadn't touched that side yet and I know for sure that it was on it before. I measured both sides before getting to that one and it was sitting a little higher then the drivers side(which it should be). Maybe just releasing one side let off some tension on the other??
Lots more to do with pics on the way.
guppysoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did the same thing with my rear bars. It was sitting on the stops with the shocks fully extended. The ride sucked. I backed them off a spline and now like you said I have suspension. Weird thing is now the passenger side is noticable higher and it wasn´t before. It looks goofy now and I think I´m gonna have to do some more adjusting.
locky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update on rear suspension. I dedided that the back was a little low with one outer notch so I wanted to experiment a little more with reindexing. This time I have some photos and explanations on how i did so.
I started by jacking up rear end and taking off wheel. Next thing I did was to disconnect the cv joint. I ended up getting new bolts last year and the new ones are hex heads, not the twelve sided bolts that were stock. I then disconnected the shock from the lower mount and pushed that out of the way. I then released the spring plate from the torsion arm by taking the three 19mm bolts out.
It looked like this.
[img]

I dropped the torsion arm below the spring plate to begin with so that I could get the plate off the stop. I then removed the four springplate bolts and pulled off the spring plate cover. I used a pry bar to pry the plate off of the stop. Lots of caution here to keep hands and anything else out of the way. I didn't get a photo of the springplate off of the stop but no biggie.

Once the plate was off i put a jack under the disc and jacked it up so that the torsion arm was as far up as I could get it. I took the bumpstop off so that I could get maximum height. I used a jack stand to hold disc and torsion up out of the way. This picture shows the plate on the stop. I took this after I finished.

[/img]

I then gently pulled the end of the springplate and wiggled until I got the torsion bar to come out from the inside of the torsion housing, not the outside. A little tricky to not get the plate to pull off of the torsion bar. Took some time. I then rotated the torsion one spline counter clockwise and reinserted so that it looked like this. Just touching the top of the bottom springplate bolt hole.

[img]

I have tried a bunch of different ways to get that spring plate back into posistion after reindexing and it can be a real hassle. By far the best and easiest way was this. I made my own springplate tool and it worked really good.
[/img]

I used two different diameters of ready rod, because that is all I had, and welded them together. I also used ready rod for the bracket that hooks around the shock mount to hold it in place. I then took a larger diameter piece of pipe and welded on a bracket to the side of it, out of 1/8 flat stock. I slid the pipe over the ready rod and threaded on a 1 inch nut with a washer on top. I then set the top of the tool around the shock mount just behind where the upper body mount is, and the bottom slotted piece on either side of the springplate. I started to turn the nut upwards, using some lube on the threads to make it easier. This shot is after I got the plate in place.

I found that if I cranked up the plate without the plate cover in place that I had a hard time lining up the cover and bolts holes. So I used some longer bolts to put the cover in place and once I got tension on the plate gave the end of the torsion housing a tap with a hammer to get the bar and bushings to seat properly, I would give it a couple twists of the bolt and tap and so on. I also used a tiedown strap to pull the springplate inwards so that when I got the plate above the stop I could tap the plate with a block of wood to get it to move in towards the stop so when I let it down it would rest in posistion.
Once it was on the stop I tightened cover bolts and put it all back together. Let it down and had about a half inch above the stops. The hardest part about this whole process it getting the plate back up with the new preload in the torsion bar, lots of force you are dealing with. I will now always use my tool for this job, makes it a hell of alot easier.
I took it for a drive last night and am really happy with how the back end feels and looks. Now to get the front dialed.
locky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I Posted this in Engines as well.
Car has been running awesome lately, pleasure to drive. Last night I was cruising on the highway and was turning off. I was shifting from 3rd to 2nd at pretty high RPM's and let the clutch out as I made the turn. I hit the gas and no movement. Pushed the clutch back in and back into gear, nothing. I coasted to a stop and started to investigate. At first I was hoping that it was just the shift rod had come loose under the plate. I took the plate off and it was as should be. The shifting feels normal just shifting from 1st to 4th sitting still. The clutch feels normal pushing in and out. I didn't hear a sound when I lost it. Both wheels are turning freely when I push her. All four CV's are turning freely and are making no noise. When I fire the car and push the clutch in and shift into first feels good, but when I let the clutch out I can hear and feel a slight turning on the shift rod, if I rev the engine the turning increases. I just can't get it to engage. Blown Clutch plate? Anybody?
Thanks
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 7 of 9

Jump to: