Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Locky's Build up
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Engine produces power, car will not move = power transmission issue.

Parts of the power transmission are the axles, clutch engagement mechanism, differential, gear selection mechanism, axle ends (hubs) and gears themselves.

So, since the power plant produces power (engine runs fine), the next step to to follow through each power transmission point. I reccomend going through these steps from easy to hardest:

1. Check the brake hubs to make sure you did not strip a hub/axle spline. The brake hubs are made from cast iron and can strip out if slightly loose. Have someone help watch the castle nuts on the rear wheels when you release the clutch in gear to see if either one spins.

2. CV stripped out. Have someone watch when you release the clutch in gear to see if a flange turns on the transaxle but the axle itself does not turn.

3. If both of the above checks out OK, time to pull the engine and look at the clutch and input shaft. If there is a problem with the clutch disc, you will be able to see it right off. If the clutch disc appears OK, grab ahold of the transaxle input shaft and see it you can pull it out (rearward).

4. If these three items above are OK, it is internal in the transaxle. Time to assess your abilities to rebuild (not reccomended without 100's of $$$ in special tools and experiance), or find another transaxle.

Everyone is gifted. Some just do not open the package.

Looks like it was painted with a live chicken,polished with a brick and buffed with a pine cone
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
saddlesore1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a similar issue on my 356.
I would suggest checking all items listed above in previous by Joe to ensure that your problem is or is not confined to the trani.
Then.........
My issue was broken shift fork. Cheep to replace just a pain in the ass. Especially if it is a swing axle like on the 356.
at least you can pull the trani without the rear wheels coming off.
Good luck.
locky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the input guys. Got some time to look at it today after work. I went through the tests Joe recommended and found that the CV on the tranny drivers side was spinning. I pulled it off and found a mess. The cage was busted in pieces and floating around in the cv. I pulled the wheel side off and got it to the bench and pulled all the pieces out. I noticed that retainer clips on both sides were off. So.... Right on. I am ordering up a cv tonight along with 4 retainer clips for all 4 cv's. I was really worried I had buggered my Transaxle.
Thanks
saddlesore1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

locky wrote:
Thanks for the input guys. Got some time to look at it today after work. I went through the tests Joe recommended and found that the CV on the tranny drivers side was spinning. I pulled it off and found a mess. The cage was busted in pieces and floating around in the cv. I pulled the wheel side off and got it to the bench and pulled all the pieces out. I noticed that retainer clips on both sides were off. So.... Right on. I am ordering up a cv tonight along with 4 retainer clips for all 4 cv's. I was really worried I had buggered my Transaxle.
Thanks

That is great news. Sadly I think 4 CV's will cost you more than repairing your trani
locky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah saddle, they are not cheap. I'm just doing the one for now, spent too much on the Reno. One of the things I didn't replace on my rebuild were the CV's, figured I would run them till I had a problem.
Again, Thanks
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a easier and quicker fix than the tranny!

I looked around and found very good condition Thing CV's for my 091 6 rib conversion into a fiberglass buggy build for $ 10.00 each. They are German Lobro's and in great shape. Wish I would have bought a few spares.

If you hunt, a deal can be found.

Looks like it was painted with a live chicken,polished with a brick and buffed with a pine cone
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
doublecanister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 6:19 am    Post subject: Hey Locky! Reply with quote

Hey Locky sorry to hear you had a cv issue. They are always greasy fun!

when I got my CV's I believe this is where I found the best
deal/brand/price.
http://www.autohausaz.com/vw-auto-parts/vw-cv_joint-replacement.html

it's been a few years but they had THING cv's and were priced right.

Good luck!

T
1966 - Mustang GT- Fastback
1951 - Ford F1 pickup Flathead V8
locky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Doubles. No probs. just glad I don't have to drop the engine. Only about another month of good driving. Just ordered from germansupply.com. $125 but they are out of canada and I want it quick. I am going on the classifieds and getting a couple ordered on the cheap for the next one to go.
Thanks for the link
GodJockey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This Thing looks fantastic, defineitly an inspiring build, I'm in the middle of a body off resto as well.

Maybe I've missed it, but where did buy the paint from?
locky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks GJ. I bought the paint from Napa. I am happy with it so far. Got a couple of runs while shooting but that was due to my inexperience.
Mounted the Tach last night. Was only able to get the wire hooked to the coil, then had to attend a bonfire. Will finish up today. Curious to see how close I got with my timing at idle and at 3000 RPM's.
locky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I am still waiting for my cv to arrive. Last week I was trying to get it through my local VW shop, that managed to be at a snails pace to get any info, so like I said above I ordered one from GermanSupply. Then on monday my shop called me and said she could get the parts I inquired about 5 days earlier. Said she could have it overnight. I also wanted a pair of Bugpack vented valve covers that she said she could get. So I told her to go ahead. Picked them up today and had a "feeling" about the CV. The Bugpack threaded boss vent covers somehow mysteriously became EMPI valve covers that were not drilled and threaded. I figured I would take them and drill and thread myself since I had them in my hand. They are reinforced so why not. I get them home and look at them. No lip for cover to sit on head. Turns out they are the c-channel style. Then I go to the blindchicken website to get the measurements for the different types of cv's. I pull out the caliper and start to measure. And... guess what. Type 2 CV's...AAAAHHHH. So I call the supplier direct and start to ask him what cv's he sent me. He looked it up and said those are type 2. I asked him what happened to the part number I supplied him. Oh you can't get those in Canada. They have only sold 5 of those in the last 10 years in Canada. I didn't ask him who "they" were. I explained to him the difference in angles etc,etc......
Anyway I find it funny how they will just substitute what they think will work. So I guess the waiting continues. This Indian summer is going to run out soon though.
Anyone have any experience with the c-channel style valve covers?
locky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are a few shots of the recent upgrades. Really liking the AN fittings and braided oil hose. The breather box will be getting the an fittings and stainless hose as well
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Anyone have any experience with the c-channel style valve covers?

Yes. Bad.

They slowly take a set on the gasket and need tightened to keep from leaking. If they get over tightened, they will cut through their own gaskets and leak like crazy.

locky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Joe. I will be returning the cv and valve covers today
locky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is my CV that exploded on a High RPM downshift. When assembling the cv's I had a hard time getting the clips to fit properly on the axle to hold evertything in place. I read another post of someone having the same problem. They said the left off the inner cupped washer that sits under the cv. I think I will try that and see if the clip fits better.

joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The cupped lower washer is a spring washer that needs compressed so the snap ring will go on the axle. I use a press to compress it slightly enough to fit on.

Racers do not run a inner stop to allow the cv to float on the axle (they use the outer c-clip to keep them on the axle though). It is up to you to use the inner cupped washer or not. I use them on my stock stuff, but leave them off my abused toys that see less miles and more maintenance.

But, and this may be debated, remember to "clock" the cv when putting them back on the axle.

http://www.californiaperformance.com/cv_clocking.htm

locky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a great link Joe, thanks.
doublecanister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 1:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Hey Locky! Reply with quote

doublecanister wrote:
Hey Locky sorry to hear you had a cv issue. They are always greasy fun!

when I got my CV's I believe this is where I found the best
deal/brand/price.
http://www.autohausaz.com/vw-auto-parts/vw-cv_joint-replacement.html

it's been a few years but they had THING cv's and were priced right.

Good luck!

T

Hey Locky, just a reminder, these folks (above link) did have the correct THING cv joints.

I have herd and spoken to folks that ran type 2 cv's on a thing with no problem but.....theres always a but, it was road driving only no off road. I guess in a pinch you could use em to get home but i'd put the right ones back in and not worry.

T
doublecanister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 1:16 pm    Post subject: link for cv's Reply with quote

Hey Locky

heres a cv link for a 73

http://www.autohausaz.com/search/product.aspx?sid=...0247@THING &year=1973&cid=17@Drivetrain Parts&gid=2292@CV Joint

for some reason I cant make it all a complete click link.
copy and paste it all if you wish.

you may have already got replacements but just in case! Very Happy
T
locky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks T.
I did think about running the type 2 while I had it in my hand but my drive axle sits at 20 degrees, 4 degrees higher then what's recommended for the type 2. So I thought not. I got my part in Wednesday and am back up and running. I also ordered a couple used ones from the classifieds to have on hand just in case.
Just spent the morning dealing with my webers. I have the idle set at home for about 700 RPM, drive to town and it will increase to around 17-2000. Driving me nuts. I noticed that the throttle plate on the left side was binding a little so I read up on it and readjusted it. I think I got it now, but man what a finicky PIA.
Now I can see why GI Joe went with the single carb . Don't want to sacrifice the power though, or give in to these things.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 8 of 9

Jump to: