Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Locky's Build up
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pierre G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fantastic job. I have 2 181s that are at least as rusty as yours. Gives me the hope I can bring them back to life.

Congrats. Applause
1976 181/Thing, 1967 fastback, 1973 squareback, 1964 microbus, 1967 Double Cab, 1969 westfalia (currently under resto), 1972 LM1C dune buggy, 1974 jean's bug, 1974 1303 (super beetle, currently under reassembly after new paint).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
locky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Pierre!
I am trying to decide what to do with the interior for colour. I go back and forth from all yellow to some kind of black. Maybe a rhino liner or something on the rockers. My front compartment is por 15 black and engine bay black rubber coat. So not to picky about stock this and that.
Anyone?
Pierre G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I had mine resprayed in 2007, I went with all yellow inside, black on the floor only. I prefer all body color, but black matches well with yellow, so either way, it will look good.
1976 181/Thing, 1967 fastback, 1973 squareback, 1964 microbus, 1967 Double Cab, 1969 westfalia (currently under resto), 1972 LM1C dune buggy, 1974 jean's bug, 1974 1303 (super beetle, currently under reassembly after new paint).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rasputin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny. Very Happy I have my 73 in the garage and it seems that our previous owners had similar ideas. I plan to close mine in as well and Im going to attempt to add the ribs back in.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
locky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yours is actually one level higher. You could look into mine and see the fan spinning. If something got sucked into that hole, say goodnight. Especially a hand. Post some pics when you are done.
EXJAY
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you sir are amazing.. Cool

'74 Superbeetle (Family owned since new)
'73 181 Thing (sold)
kyle_pc_75
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice rescue! Keep it up.

Kyle
locky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the positive vibes guys! Laughing
A bunch of years ago I glued some rubber matting onto the back tray to cut down on the noise and cover the sheet metal patch that I screwed on. It was looking real ratty so I pulled it off and was left with the glue mess that I used to lay it down. I took a flap disc on my grinder and got as much off as possible. You can see my patch to the engine compartment. I tacked it in all the way around and then used some lightweight filler around the edges. I then wiped everything down and then taped off the upper section for a trial go on the bottom section. I first por 15'd, waited about 4 hours and then used my spray gun to lay down a coat of high build 2k urethane primer. It worked!! So I moved on to the upper section and did the same. While I was spraying the primer this time I was noticing that it wasn't going on as nice as the first time. I couldn't figure it out so I kept going. I came in about and hour later to check it and it was starting to bubble in spots. I then realized that I had didn't have my filter on the gun. I had taken it off to use my plasma cutter so I had water in my air. So I sanded off all of the bubbles and used some of the red putty filler to fill any of the bigger imperfections.
Bad photo of old mat.

locky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

High Build 2K urethane primer
locky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just found this shot of the thing in action, from about 9years ago. Skiis in the back. Kootenay morning mist. I'm pretty sure we were heading for a spring ski somewhere around Kokanee glacier.
locky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Took a bit of a break for the last little while. Got back at it a couple of days ago. Sanding down the filler that I used for the welds on the rockers. Very finnicky. Toughest part I have found is shaping the ridge that runs vertically right behind the front wheel wells. There was alot of rust that I cut out there and did pre bend the sheet metal before I welded it in. It wasn't perfect so I used filler to shape it. I'm almost there but it's not perfect. I am pretty much ready to por 15, then high build prime the interior. I decided to go with Herculiner for the inside rockers, tray behind the seats, front firewall and door pillars. I also am pretty stoked because I ordered a 60 gallon 7.0HP compressor. Puts out 16.5cfm@90PSI. It is an Iron Horse, built in the US.
Yes!
iltis74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice job keeping the momentum up. My first VW was a 74 Thing, still have it, it needs some work but overall is OK. I haven't spent much time in this forum for a while and thought I would see what was going on. Now thanks to you I'll never get that hour back, but no complaints. I agree, there are so many reasons to undertake what you are doing besides the financials. Give the old man a ride in it when it's all sorted out and everything is worth it. Make him buy the lunch.

I also think it's pretty cool that at your age and professed inexperience, that you've ripped it apart as far as you have, and that it appears it will see the light of day again. Awesome.
locky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can anyone tell me the proper posistion for the backseat support that runs the width of the car from rocker to rocker. I am looking for the height. Is the top of it suppose to be level with the top of the rocker. I will use the springs for the distance from the back of the car.
Thanks
Semper_Dad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Height -Mine measured 1 and 1/2 inch from the top of the tunnel.

Setback - 9 and 1/2 inches from the center door post. Welding tab is just aft of the trapezoidal reinforcement dimple (does that make any sense? Rolling Eyes

locky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, Semper you are on it. Always good input.
Yes that measurement makes sense. The height doesn't help me much though. I dont have the body on yet so I can't use that measurement. Judging from the picture though, it looks like it is just above the lip on the rocker. I was going to weld it in and then prime the inside before putting the body on the chassis. Maybe I should put the body on first and then por 15 and prime the rockers and floor at the same time. Anyone else have any ideas? Now that I think about it, that might be a better idea anyway. That way I only have to mix the primer once, and get it all done at once. Called to check on my Herculiner shipment and buddy says he can't ship it because it's a hazardous material.???? Tough to do online sales when you can't ship a product.????
So I found the Dupli-color Bed Armour and read some reviews. It sounds pretty good and I can get it at Canadian Tire. Anyone know anything about this product?
Thanks to all.
Semper_Dad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oops, my bad Embarassed

Since the rocker is wider at the bottom than the top I believe the crossbar will fit vertically where it wants too. As you noted, The outer edge of the crossbar is about the same height as bottom of the doorway.
locky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am looking for a picture or diagram of the assembly of the rear body mounts. I know that there are two special bolts with a spacer bushing, but not sure what it looks like. I have 4 of the 17mm rubber mounts, so I was going to cut two of them into 10mm thickness to put between the body and shock tower mounts. And is there a washer that goes somewhere between this assembly??
Thanks
locky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I have been slowly getting some more work done lately. Managed to get the body dropped on. Drilled a couple of holes in my ceiling and then choked a 4x4 chunk of square tubing with a cable, then hooked up the hoists. Ran a couple of nylon chokers around the rockers and one at the back enginge compartment. Here are some shots

And here is a trial fit of the fiberglass fenders

I had to make up some seat mounts for my new seats. The sliders came with them. So I used some square 1x1inch .063 tubing. Luckily I had my old seats that were still mounted to the mounts with a chunk of rusty floor attached so I measured the height and went with that for my new ones
Pic of fitting the sliders on the tubing

And the mounts welded and tacked onto the pans

And the seats for a trial fit

More to come!!
locky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am going to build a roll bar as well, so I tacked in some plate on the top to mount it to. I hoisted the body back off and pulled the floor pans out so I can weld backing plates on the underside of the pan. While I have them out I will por 15 the bottom and Bed armour as well.
Some shots of the plates

locky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally finished getting the pans ready. I had to patch up the relief cuts that they came with as well as get the plates welded in for the roll bar. Welded some backing plates in as well. I noticed alot of guys bolt the roll bar in as opposed to welding it. What is the reason for this? Now I will let the por dry for about 4 hours until it is tacky and then I will hit it with the Dupli-Colour Bed Armour, with a Schutz gun. The green tape is to mask off the area for the spot welds when I am ready to weld in the pans. I will have to get under the car to do this part but alot easier than having to do the whole pan while lying down from underneath. I figure I will spot weld then por, then seam seal and then Bed Armour the seam with a roller
Pans ready for Bed Armour.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 4 of 9

Jump to: