Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Tom Hanks just bought a Syncro
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
brent239
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dixoncj wrote:
Just for the record - Jimmy Buffett still owns his seafoam Syncro Adventurewagen which is outfitted with a Smallcar Subie Outback 3.0 conversion. It has its hiccups, but has generally run well. Though we can't for the life of us figure out where Brian and his boys put the OBD dataport and they don't seem to recall where it may be. He also owns a veggie powered Sportsmobile. The Syncro resides with a good buddy of his who takes good care of it and uses it well and wisely. The SMB gets used a hell of a lot - runs a plantdrive system.

Hmmmm Sounds like you know alot.
beatrich
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom played a character named Harlan in 'The Man with One Red Shoe' in 85. I'm pretty sure it's that GOWesty rig.
iceracer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So if he did buy it from GW, and they refurbished it as they always do, then why did the ac and the fuel guage go out? Either Harlan is making up the story for entertainment or GW does shoddy work. HHHMMM

And Ben is right: this is all about nothing.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ddonnell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

beatrich wrote:
Tom played a character named Harlan in 'The Man with One Red Shoe' in 85. I'm pretty sure it's that GOWesty rig.

Wow nice call!

instagram #bajabugproject
Ryan Alfonso
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ENTIRE vid is here!

http://vimeo.com/7379281
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dixoncj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

brent239 wrote:
dixoncj wrote:
Just for the record - Jimmy Buffett still owns his seafoam Syncro Adventurewagen which is outfitted with a Smallcar Subie Outback 3.0 conversion. It has its hiccups, but has generally run well. Though we can't for the life of us figure out where Brian and his boys put the OBD dataport and they don't seem to recall where it may be. He also owns a veggie powered Sportsmobile. The Syncro resides with a good buddy of his who takes good care of it and uses it well and wisely. The SMB gets used a hell of a lot - runs a plantdrive system.

Hmmmm Sounds like you know alot.

I oversaw the buildout of both. They are extremely, extremely bitchin.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Classicvibe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

couple of things here...

First, his comments were spot on in the interview. The first production year was 1979, and the vanagon does not have any of those lines that made VW famous...not a one. You all just have mama love for these things. The technology is 70's at best. I have vintage scooters with more technology than these things.

Next, there is a picture of him at our local shop here. He made it clear where he had bought the vehicle, and was a happy camper despite the problems. Proud to say our local guys straightened up his mess. The interior has custom wood trim, not my deal, but really nice and clean.

Hanx is a smart dude with a good vibe. I mean, he jumped in a Syncro with his brother to just...go somewhere and stay for a while. That's rad. He is back on my A list again.

"Here lies Walter Fielding. He bought a Vanagon, and it killed him."

This is one of the funnies movies I have ever seen. Let me give you a small reminder (positive I peed my pants the first time I saw this scene):

Link

Syncro Solstice 2022...see you there!

1986.5 Wolfsburg Syncro Westfalia Poptop Weekender Transporter
hdenter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just watched the full interview on Letterman, great story and funny! Clearly, the man is hooked on his van. His stock was already high with me and now it is just a little higher.
otiswesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, the AC wasn't broken, it just doesn't work very well in a Vanagon Westy unless you are sitting on the back bench seat. My kids love the AC but otherwise I never use it as it just sucks power and overloads the motor. Personally I would prefer the grey headbanger cabinet, but the hassle of pulling the AC is prohibitive.

All Syncro owners know how hard it is to fill the gas so that the guage reads full. You really need to top it up. I suspect that the gas guage was working fine, it was just the tank that was not filled fully by the newb owner. Funny story though. I think the only thing that really was not working or broken on his van was the odometer, an early failure for him. In reality, the van was fully functional when it rolled out of the used car dealership that he bought it from, so it's hard to assign blame there. Razz

Just a regular guy
thummmper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just saw "Angels and Demons" with hanks in a papal kidnapping bomb scare where the villain drives a panelagon. ....of course.
just like in "The Edukators".
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SyncroVeedubin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

awesome interview. he seems like such a normal guy. i swear he could be discribing everything that has gone wrong on my van...i use the same "we should be able to make it to the next exit..." guestimations with my fuel too.

"without a/c you are driving this terrarium of a car" -- classic.

and he's right about KoA...lol

glad to see i can now add Mr. Tom Hanks (aka Kip/Buffy Wilson...remember Bosom Buddies??) to my list of "Celebs spotted in a VW"

btw, Tracy Chapman drove her white Eurovan Westy into the VW dealership i was working at back in 1996 =)
ycontractor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seeing this interview back in 2009 is what got me introduced to Vanagons. I was trying to think of ways I could modify my Tacoma to make it more camping friendly when I saw Hanks talking about the Syncro. I said to myself "That's exactly what I'm looking for!" A few of months later I had my first one (2WD, not a syncro), and the Tacoma went bye-bye. Never looked back since then. Thanks Tom!
levi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're welcome.

Oh no,
Now everyone will know it's me.
gonna see life my way

https://youtu.be/cSrL0BXsO40
carterzest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom Hanks is the most trusted person in America. God help us!!!
914 mike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny...I too had a Tacoma...Pre-runner...had a Skamper pop-up camper on the back and really liked it, but it had its limitations. Not enough room in the cab area for 3 to travel comfortably...The camper was pushing the weight limit the tacoma could haul around so the places I could go were limited.
When I bought my westy, friends thought I was crazy, but after the mods I have done to it, I can take it just about anywhere I want to go and its as reliable as the Tacoma was...been to Baja and Banff and all points in between and never regretted the switch.
Tom hanks did not influence my decision, however, but I did like him in Castaway.
In a world full of ponies it's a thoroughbred horse....
Can ≠ Should
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BlueWestyDiesel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The interview was great, my wife and I read the outside magazine article and watched the interview while we were camping in our westy. The guy can tell a great story, and if he didn't like the van he would not have picked that story to tell.
More so, you all are a tough crowd because you know these vans (some of you maynot know much at all just think you do). On our trip I found out that very few people actually know that a westy is actually a camper. Most people see the vanagon as an ugly van that is in their way as they race down the road to the next tourist stop.
Tom Hanks did a good for the vanagon community by sharing an experiance.

-----
1982 Vanagon Westfalia diesel, 1.9L AAZ
zippyslug31
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BlueWestyDiesel wrote:
the outside magazine article

???
Which article is that; are you referring to the Overland Journal article by chance?
'90 syncro westy 2.5L subi, triple knob, 16" wheels.
'84 sunroof van, 2.1L motor.
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zippyslug31 wrote:
BlueWestyDiesel wrote:
the outside magazine article

???
Which article is that?...

Possibly this one.
hans j
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm, I really thought I posted pics of his van when it came through. Perhaps it was another thread? Anyway it was pretty nice!
photogdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hans j wrote:
Hmmm, I really thought I posted pics of his van when it came through. Perhaps it was another thread? Anyway it was pretty nice!

Was that when he came to Syncro Solstice and handed out VHS copies of Bosom Buddies to everyone? That was awesome! Very Happy

My Westy Movies:
photogdave On Vimeo
photogdave On YouTube

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: