Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1965 Stolen Bus Stolen From Spokane - Missing for 35 years.
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 23, 24, 25  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vwboop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That bus should star in a CSI episode where they find the DNA from the guy who stole it and the buyer and seller kick the crap out of the guy. Throw a few hippies in the mix. Could be very entertaining.
j.goodspeed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My customer had a VIN verification with DMV upon bringing it into California, yet it cleared. He has a pink slip, registration, and even got personalized plates. We all know DMV will not assume any responsibility.

I was hoping something could be worked out with Allstate: Taking into account the original owner was made whole in 1974 by Allstate Ins. Let's take the payment of the claim in 1974, add a fair interest for 35 years on that amount, plus processing fees, and have my customer pay that amount. This would make Allstate whole for their 35 year investment. Then he can complete the sale to the Gentleman in the Netherlands. My customer would loose some money and everybody would be made whole. But...It will not work out that way, just watch!!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tpinthepack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember the bus at Buggy Bobs in 1984, so we need to find out when he got it and where! That leaves a 10 year gap between theft, and Park BLVD street sign. What we really need is an old picture of Buggy World in the 80's with that damn bus holding up his sign. Maybe a good picture for the Poster at Bulli Brigade 17!

At nearly 65.00 per mile, i should have just towed my Single cab to Bulli Brigade, and purchased about 1800.00 worth of Green Panels from Gerson.

tpinthepack
1990 Vanagon DOKA
1972 Super Beetle
1979 Super Beetle Convertible
2011 Porsche Cayenne
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gatorwyatt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wanted:
RHD Barndoor floor mat..reproduction is fine
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
The Sage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB125790137076542665.html
lastchancevw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thom wrote:
That hippie chick is dreaming if she thinks she's somehow going to get the bus back on the cheap, and someone needs to smack her kid upside the head with a nice 36mm Hazet open-end wrench.

Well here's a question. What if the original owner didn't have theft insurance on the bus when it was stolen? (and didn't get paid out by an insurance company)

Would she get it back, no questions asked? If so, sounds like the rare occasion where it would have been better to not have insurance on it.

The media harped on this story because they all thought (and spun the story so that it sounded like) the bus had been locked in a shipping container for the last 35 years, perserved like Tutankamen's tomb or something.

The end result from all this is that it's going to focus unwanted attention to these title washing services, and make people like me, who have cars they owned for 20+ years but never registered un-title-able.
1974 super beetle (2, maybe can be made into one)

1969 delta blue deluxe bus, half-camperized and being worked on
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SHSC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone may have mentioned this, but I bet everyone (regular guy) who has read those articles or saw the story on TV assumes the bus is in original non-restored condition. Just tucked away and sitting the whole time.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

And as for the above pictured bus, I have never seen that before in my life.
Soul Built
Pimpin' Aint Easy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I am sure you all would agree, this whole situation sucks and we haven't seen the worst yet.

The guy who bought this thing is out of his cash. From what I hear, he sounds like he did everything "right" which blew up in his face.

The buyer overseas is out of a deal

The lady who it was stolen from has a douchebag son that would love to butcher it. Because of her evil spawn, I hope she does not get the Bus back.

All the while Allstate is getting free advertising.

It sounds like the "nice guy" will lose again. Sad
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
folks55
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Soul_VW wrote:
As I am sure you all would agree, this whole situation sucks and we haven't seen the worst yet.

The guy who bought this thing is out of his cash. From what I hear, he sounds like he did everything "right" which blew up in his face.

The buyer overseas is out of a deal

The lady who it was stolen from has a douchebag son that would love to butcher it. Because of her evil spawn, I hope she does not get the Bus back.

All the while Allstate is getting free advertising.

It sounds like the "nice guy" will lose again. Sad

WORD!!
tpinthepack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SHSC wrote:
Someone may have mentioned this, but I bet everyone (regular guy) who has read those articles or saw the story on TV assumes the bus is in original non-restored condition. Just tucked away and sitting the whole time.

And as for the above pictured bus, I have never seen that before in my life.

Well, then look really close, there is a driver in that bus. Have you seen him before?
I must say, that fence, and green bus in the background don't look the least bit familiar.
1990 Vanagon DOKA
1972 Super Beetle
1979 Super Beetle Convertible
2011 Porsche Cayenne
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cris torlasco Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Picked up by the Brazilian press, only with the wrong bus (evidently many news agencies couldn't care less about accuracy). This story is now global, posted in Europe, South America, and who knows where else. Where will it stop?

It says under the photo: "Photo of the Kombi stolen 35 years ago". Yeah right!

Cris
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gatorwyatt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

and i must say single cab dave did a swell job with the sawzall to install the captains chairs...

wanted:
RHD Barndoor floor mat..reproduction is fine
Rick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

given the amount of media attention I think that allstate could benefit by making a brilliant PR move, such as sending the bus to the buyer in the netherlands, or giving it back to the seller (i.e. "legal" owner). The problem is that in the general publics mind, and because of the spin by the media, everyone probably thinks that the woman should be reunited with the car. I see nothing in the articles about the poor buyer, or the poor seller. Everyone seems to think they don't matter. I'd say there is a lawsuit here, but probably not one that would be worth paying for.
sventinker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay since last posting I have another idea. But first lets review some things. The woman who the bus was stolen from was reimbursed and quite well I might add . she paid between 600-1000 and was paid 2500. (another reason why Allstate's rates are so high today) And this was when bus's were easy to find and cheap in fact she did buy another bus.(its like if your Honda civic were stolen today, THEY ARE EVERYWHERE ). and we all know with all that extra change from Allstate went to buy a bag ,then they smoked it and went and got Chinese food. So that said I do believe Allstate should auction it off with some conditions... Lets assume that the "current" owner had say $20,000 invested. And Allstate's interest in the vehicle we know is $2500. so start the auction off at $22,500. or whatever the total would be . Then at auction end Allstate keeps there $2500 and the "current" owner gets his money back and anything over goes to charity? That way the "current" owner gets the chance to maintain ownership and complete his overseas sale, Allstate gets their money and some pr for doing the right thing. Then finally we all go get a bag and get some Chinese food! who would have thought that some thief or joyrider could cause so much trouble for some people so far into the future?
025 Safety belts
195 Adjustable bench seat/backrest (until 1963)
dawerks wrote:
Perfection only comes with delusion.

http://www.oacdp.org/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sventinker wrote:
she paid between 600-1000...And this was when bus's were easy to find and cheap...we all know with all that extra change from Allstate went to buy a bag...finally we all go get a bag...who would have thought that some thief or joyrider could cause so much trouble for some people so far into the future?

$800 would get you a real nice bus just like that one then. A five to six finger lid was $10 (dunno 'bout Spokane but probably higher as stuff was carried north). Dunno what bags go for these days. It's called the "Butterfly Effect" and it's still blowing.
Ian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BarryL wrote:
sventinker wrote:
she paid between 600-1000...And this was when bus's were easy to find and cheap...we all know with all that extra change from Allstate went to buy a bag...finally we all go get a bag...who would have thought that some thief or joyrider could cause so much trouble for some people so far into the future?

$800 would get you a real nice bus just like that one then. A five to six finger lid was $10 (dunno 'bout Spokane but probably higher as stuff was carried north). Dunno what bags go for these days. It's called the "Butterfly Effect" and it's still blowing.

$50 an eighth
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
abdon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sventinker wrote:
Okay since last posting I have another idea...

Way too convoluted. As I said many, many pages ago, the only fair thing to do would be to let the last owner keep it, if for something for whatever the insurance company paid all that many years ago. He is by far the most injured party, just as innocent as hippie granny.
Soul Built
Pimpin' Aint Easy

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick wrote:
given the amount of media attention I think that allstate could benefit by making a brilliant PR move, such as sending the bus to the buyer in the netherlands

This would be a horrible PR move for them because they don't insure in The Netherlands.

Although I think the right thing to do would be to give it back to the last owner, they won't do that either because it almost supports buying stolen property (even though we all know he never intended to do that).
sparkleplenty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a 1962 23 window that disappeared from 34th and W. Balboa in Newport Beach in November of 1992. It was an off / dull yellow and white. I did not have the ragtop installed. It was a bench seat model. I still have the vin plate. It had a 1776 with dual 40 webs. Someone has to know someone who knows someone who used to hang out with someone who knew someone who had a cousin who knows someone who took it. I only had liability insurance at the time (starving college student) I would give my left nut to get it back.

"Give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, feed him for a lifetime."

"Only when the tide goes out do you discover who is swimming naked."
thom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple of my neighbors have broken the "big news" to me now...
1957 23-Window Deluxe
1957 Mercedes Westfalia single cab
1963 Unimog 404
1965 E-Type
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 23, 24, 25  Next
Jump to:
Page 12 of 25

Jump to: