Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1965 Stolen Bus Stolen From Spokane - Missing for 35 years.
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 23, 24, 25  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
localboy
Samba Longboarder

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GeorgeL wrote:
I tried running the VIN of a wrecked car that I sold to a big SoCal salvage yard through that database and it comes up pure as the driven snow. Take a negative result with a big grain of salt.

Yep. It's not a perfect world. Shit happens.

Black '65 Resto-Custom S Notch 2110 cc powered
original paint Pearl White '66 Westy SO-42
Allstate single-wheel trailer project
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Major Woody
Samba Enigma

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That database is driven by insurers self-reporting vehicles that are involved in claims, totalled, or reported stolen.
Selling a wrecked car to an out of state salvage yard would not put it on the insurance database. Nor would it be on there if it had not been involved in an insurance claim. Lots of people with old cars don't have comprehensive coverage.
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vwboop wrote:
SpiritRT wrote:
I check all my VIN's here.

https://www.nicb.org/theft_and_fraud_awareness/vincheck/vincheck

Thats the database used to find this Bus.

How could that be. That database says it is only good for the last five years, and the bus was stolen 35 years ago??

Quote from site "The National Insurance Crime Bureau (NICB) has access to a database of vehicles which were reported as stolen within the past five years and remain unrecovered or declared as salvage. This information is being made available, free of charge, as a public service to consumers".

My red deluxe was totalled when I was in an accident in the nineties.
Remember than back then a bus was only worth a few grand.
I kept the bus, but had to send in the title. I had to have it inspected to get a new title and have it back on the road.

Just checked it with that website and it is listed as having

Quote:
been identified as a vehicle listed in the VINCheckSM Salvage Records.

Date of loss: 1995-11-22
Cause of loss: Collision

You are advised to consult with a certified automotive technician before further considering this vehicle, to include verifying the airbag remains intact.

mtb7001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

recovered and for sale
http://www.copart.com/c2/individualLot.html?lotId=19728389&searchType=onSaleNow
thanks to rebapuck for posting this, it will be interesting to watch
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So what happened with the guy who had legal title to the bus? Is he out the cash he put into it recently? Does anyone know the rest of the story?
HotStreetVw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They guy that restored this needs to get on here and tell his side of the story. Stop hiding out. IMO you didnt do anything wrong, yet, but the longer you remain silent, the more quilty you look. I know for a fact that if I bought a bus under the pretense that it was not stolen, and I was getting BENT over by some big insurance company, I would be screaming until my lungs and lips bleed.

For the folks that think the women should be reunited with the bus, thats just plain BS. She cashed out in 75 when she sold the bus to allsate.

Some people think Allstate should be paid the orginial claim, plus interest. BS, the bus was a depreciating asset in 75, plus I'm sure they claimed the loss and didn't pay taxes. They should be lucky to get what the claim was paid in 75.

Like I said, the more this guy hides out, the more of a criminal he looks IMO.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
my65vert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would imagine the bus has changed hands more than once since it was stolen.

I know who restored it, I'm sure you wont hear from him on here.
I'm starting to get little wafts of bus stink coming from the north. Something about the unique scent of drivers seat padding when it's glued together with mouse piss and shit that really gets me going... and I'm smelling it! Oh yeah! Time to start loading up the equipment.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
HotStreetVw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure it has changed hands many times So what is his story? Is he going to pursue allstate for the cost of the restoration? Is he going to take this to court where a judge has final say? Or is he going to lay down and give up?

my65vert wrote:
I would imagine the bus has changed hands more than once since it was stolen.

I know who restored it, I'm sure you wont hear from him on here.

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dave24
Samba Hack Purist

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
So what happened with the guy who had legal title to the bus? Is he out the cash he put into it recently? Does anyone know the rest of the story?
I'm sure the person/company with that title will do as they see fit with the bus. If the currently titled owners paperwork was "LEGAL", then none of these events would have taken place and the bus would not have been seized. Allstate obtained "legal" title when they paid the claim... Every "owner" from that point on is screwed... it's not right or fair but neither is life in general sometimes.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
campingbox Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The guy who restored it sold it at a loss a decade ago for around 10K. It's been through about a dozen hands since then in about a dozen states. I don't see any of the other previous owners chiming in here, and see no problem with the guy who restored it wanting to be left out of it. He had no idea of the previous history, he simply bought a bus, sunk a ton of time and money into it, and later sold it at a loss. If I was any of the past owners, I would be wishing I had never touched this bus before. Hell, I drove it to a Bulli Brigade about ten years ago and even I wish I hadn't touched it. The name of Buggy Bobs was the earliest known owner, if anything needs to be done I would suggest that the person start with Bob and work his way backwards.
HotStreetVw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dug this up. still looking for other info. this came from interpol. not the best source, but an idea of what other countries are doing.

whenever the person currently in possession of the vehicle has acquired it in good faith. Good faith is always assumed and the contrary has to be proved (acquisition in a place not intended for the purpose, price below the market value). However, the original owner can always institute a recovery action or action to prove better title of ownership against the current possessor or second owner in the civil courts.
GeorgeL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HotStreetVw wrote:
They guy that restored this needs to get on here and tell his side of the story. Stop hiding out. IMO you didnt do anything wrong...

Then why demand an explanation? The poor guy got stuck with a hot potato. Have you checked the provenance of every vehicle you own? If you found that one of them was stolen decades ago what would you do, honestly?
HotStreetVw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting situation over a 65 mustang.

http://www.oldcarsweekly.com/article/Who_Owns_Stolen_Stang
HotStreetVw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was confused, I thought the guy tha restored it was the current, er last owner.

I checked the two used cars in the garage on the insurance db. The other two were new from the dealership. I watch my camaroSS come off the auto transport.

If I found out one was stolen years ago, I would freak the $##$ out. Just like I would expect that PO of this bus.

GeorgeL wrote:
HotStreetVw wrote:
They guy that restored this needs to get on here and tell his side of the story. Stop hiding out. IMO you didnt do anything wrong...

Then why demand an explanation? The poor guy got stuck with a hot potato. Have you checked the provenance of every vehicle you own? If you found that one of them was stolen decades ago what would you do, honestly?

HotStreetVw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is also interesting to read. Say you are pretty much SOL.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/02/11/automobiles/coll...mp;emc=rss
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave24 wrote:
cdennisg wrote:
I'm sure the person/company with that title will do as they see fit with the bus. If the currently titled owners paperwork was "LEGAL", then none of these events would have taken place and the bus would not have been seized. Allstate obtained "legal" title when they paid the claim... Every "owner" from that point on is screwed... it's not right or fair but neither is life in general sometimes.

I was under the impression that it was restored recently, not several years ago.

I still think there must be some legal grounds by which the current titled owner can argue a case for ownership. If there is no way for the general public to know whether the vehicle they have title to was stolen many years ago, what confidence do any of us have that we own our buses? Could insurance companies start accessing this private database to look for vehicles that were stolen long ago and take them from their current, and rightful owners? If that were to happen (unlikely, I know) I would bet there would be quite an uproar. Though the circumstances of this case are different, the results would be the same.

Legal title was gained by someone in the time this bus has been out there. It has since changed hands several times over. I would suspect that whatever DMV made the OK on a new title for t would be at fault, though that is likely impossible to determine. So the last person that owned the bus is still the legal owner. Allstate has their claim to the bus also. This should be in front of a judge, not on the auction block.
campingbox Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:

I was under the impression that it was restored recently, not several years ago.

I can't recall exactly when the body, paint, and interior were done, but it was atleast 7-8 years ago.

There was some talk about a more recent suspension overhaul in which the current owner spent around 7K with a shop in California making it a more reliable driver.
pyrOman
Fire Master

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GeorgeL wrote:
HotStreetVw wrote:

IIRC last year (or so) our club was given a fairly big pop-up camping trailer which was just taking space on the "holder's" property. We thought it be the coolest club booth/office at shows and campouts. Razz

However, when my main man went to get it registered they wanted to arrest him right there on the spot for possesing stolen property!!! Shocked

Though he didn't get "taken in", it wasn't all that easy to get the story laid out and get all the proper statements required to "clear" him. Also needless to say, they did take the trailer. Lucky for us (if you can call it that!) we didn't put a dime on the deal so we didn't lose anything. Did gain some knowledge though. Rolling Eyes
HotStreetVw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:

If there is no way for the general public to know whether the vehicle they have title to was stolen many years ago, what confidence do any of us have that we own our buses?

This is my exact frustration. WE DONT KNOW BETTER. Who in their right mind would sink 20k into a vehicle with even the slightest chance it could be taken away?
GeorgeL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HotStreetVw wrote:
cdennisg wrote:

If there is no way for the general public to know whether the vehicle they have title to was stolen many years ago, what confidence do any of us have that we own our buses?

This is my exact frustration. WE DONT KNOW BETTER. Who in their right mind would sink 20k into a vehicle with even the slightest chance it could be taken away?

Another consideration is that this vehicle had apparently "fallen out" of the government database because of its age. The only database that showed it as stolen was that of the insurance industry. Who's to say that their database is accurate? There are ways for a vehicle to legally change ownership without the consent or knowledge of the previous owner, such as through a lien sale.

Oh, and many things can happen to a vehicle. I'd estimate that having it come up as stolen would be fairly far down the list of possible bad things that could happen to it. It is far more likely to be wrecked or stolen than it is to have a theft history pop up. People still sink money into cars despite these more likely risks.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 23, 24, 25  Next
Jump to:
Page 14 of 25

Jump to: