Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1965 Stolen Bus Stolen From Spokane - Missing for 35 years.
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 23, 24, 25  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Malokin Martin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Originally sold to third party for non-payment at shop?
chickengeorge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If somebody is getting paid to drive it, it's a bus.

That's a van.
big wavos
OCTO

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pretty sure I saw this bus pulling into the parking lot at the last so cal treffen, my favorite busses by far and I remember commenting to someone how often do you see such a nice sunroof standard. So I think this one has been in the community for a while. Glad to see it will be going up for auction.
Skate
SBS Hit Squad

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a cool story. I was born in spokane, 1975. The bus had been missing for a year already.. crazy.

AIRKEWLD
SBS NUMBER FOURTEEN 58.5
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
woodslat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too bad they can't hang the fucker who stole it in 74. He's probably still in jail on unrelated charges anyway.
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the local San Diego paper a few months back they had a story about an old woman who's father bought her a '60s Mustang back in the late '60s. Car was titled and everything. She was contacted by the DMV that the car was listed as stolen. She was told the car would have to be returned to the original owner. When he was contacted the old guy, who was still alive, told her she could keep it. I don't imagine the guy who reported that bus stolen back in the '70s will be so forgiving.
hugheseum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lets not forget how much a vw bus in the 1970s was worth........i doubt there was any value over $800.......its also unlikely the original owner is a bus enthusiest....these were just cheap throwaway cars
luckystiff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

one of the articles says Allstate paid off the $2500 claim on it when stolen. so i'm guessing they figured it was worth more than $800. i'd bet either way this bus will be up for auction be it via Allstate or if it gets handed back to the og owner and then he/she auctions it. the thing that gets me is i could swear that for a car to leave the docks bound for another country the paperwork had to be intact and clear. i've never sent one overseas but from past inquiries on stuff i've sold overseas buyers usually asked about that right off the top. maybe it's in who you know or what the country of destination is...ken....
mr. warehouse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

luckystiff wrote:
i could swear that for a car to leave the docks bound for another country the paperwork had to be intact and clear.

I'm 99.9% sure that's how is was found.
Cars leaving the country goes through a country wide "back ground check" unlike going to your local DMV where they just check to see if there are any red flags in the state you are registering it.

Similar thing happened with the Pez Bus years ago. Everything was cool in California, but when it went to port it was found to be stolen in Arizona years earlier.

It's really more common than you think, but most of the found cars aren't freshly restored or in great shape, so they never make the news.

A "clean" title from Alabama doesn't mean anything is Texas, California, New York or Florida when the cars is being shipped out of the country.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
luckystiff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think alot of states are now running national checks on anything coming in from outside of the state it's being registered in now. either that or it's in the process of happening. i remember reading a bit about it a few years ago. i know titling anything from NC from another state is a big ordeal nowdays...ken....
UZI
Platinum FUBU

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hugheseum wrote:
lets not forget how much a vw bus in the 1970s was worth........i doubt there was any value over $800.......its also unlikely the original owner is a bus enthusiest....these were just cheap throwaway cars

think about what something would cost then vs what it would cost now for similar items in similar condition.
$800 then is $8000 now.
$2500 then is $25000 now

that said, i'd be surprised if anyone paid $25K for that bus. i have no doubt that someone spent $25K on a restoration.

Quote:
mannys66: South Philly Van Club, only the most influential and freshest van club in the vw scene
Quote:
Cuņado: Chrome will get you home!!!!!!!!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Rustforlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMHO, I think the records should never be cleared on stolen vehicles, unless it is recovered. What if the theft victim only had basic insurance without full coverage?
smoothfinishes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We had a similar non VW issue on a vehicle a while back. And I would guess the same outcome will happen in this case. This is how it should work out:

The OG owner was paid off on the VW back in '74 and since it wasnt recovered in 30 days it was now declared a total loss. The OG owner then signed off on the title and handed it over to the insurance company. The OG owner no longer owns the bus. Allstate does.

The vehicle was never located until now. However it has been completely restored. If the current owner, who I am guessing sold it overseas on a clean title(otherwise it never would have went to port), has paperwork proving where they bought it and for how much. Along with all the receipts from what they have into it. They should then be able to buy the vehicle from the insurance company at the value they would have received from the vehicle had it been recovered prior to be restored. Also known as ACV.

My guess is the current owner, if they have a title, will be able to buy the vehicle back from the Allstate at a value determined from pre-restoration pictures or documents.

Thats how it worked for us.

Insurance companies have a website you can use for free to check VIN's to see if they are stolen. They keep better track than LEDS or DMV's. They have more at stake $$$$$$$.
smoothfinishes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heres the site:

https://www.nicb.org/cps/rde/xchg/nicb/hs.xsl/vincheck.html

Allstate is probably exaggerating the fact they will reunite the vehicle with the OG owner to generate publicity.
velvetgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wonder what it looked like before they restored it
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
woodslat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

smoothfinishes wrote:
Heres the site:

Should be a sticky on this somewhere...
arthurnugen
Samba Member

Location: The PNW, where "going green" means rolling with moss.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

smoothfinishes wrote:
Heres the site:

Allstate is probably exaggerating the fact they will reunite the vehicle with the OG owner to generate publicity.

Agreed. Their motto is really "You're in good hands. . . now bend over."

zozo wrote:
Don't worry too much. You can always trust a lawyer.

ALWAYS WEAR STEEL-TOE BOOTS IN THE GARAGE!
1965 Bus (Riviera camper)
1972 Bug 'vert
1967 Bug sunroof
1961 Ghia 'vert
1957 DKW 3=6: 3 cylinder 2 stroke!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
williamblanda
Don't Disgrace The Eddy!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

smoothfinishes wrote:
Heres the site:

My bus came up clean. What a relief!
Dave24
Samba Hack Purist

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wonder how many other stolen buses (and cars) make it out un-detected?... I read last year about a seziure at the port of long beach of containers of stolen vehichles. A ferrari, 2 brand new land cruisers, a defender, and 3-4 others... all destined for Colombia.

*edit* Colombia not columbia Embarassed

Last edited by Dave24 on Fri Nov 06, 2009 1:05 pm; edited 2 times in total
Sambafraser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey I think it is great. If you have ever had a VW stolen you always wonder what happens to it.
I just think this is funny as there are so many people from the UK/Holland/Belgium rapeing the world of VW's. Hey just look at the classifieds here at Samba. The import companies in Europe don't do it for charity do they.
Look at the chain of events, punter paid Dutch importers for VW, importers said "We can have it restored in the US as the dollar is so cheap". Punter said to importers " OK!". Importers put their slice on the pie. The inevitable cheque book restoration starts as the guy is stiched up as it is on the other side of the world.
Phone call from the importers saying "We will have it to you in 6 weeks it is on the ship so we just need to finalise payments".
Then the phone call a few days later from the importers.."We might have a few issues clearing customs" Laughing
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 23, 24, 25  Next
Jump to:
Page 3 of 25

Jump to: