Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1965 Stolen Bus Stolen From Spokane - Missing for 35 years.
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 23, 24, 25  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mtb7001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jennyt wrote:
I didn't even bother with the local cops when I spotted my stolen bike lifted off my front yard a year ago...I followed the kid until she parked in front of a store & just walked up and snagged it. The bike was upgraded with nice modifications too! It's just that now I'm hesitant to ride it around...

so you stole the bike and now the Karma is killing you.
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the clip Randall,
I don't see how the dealer wasn't caught up in all the finances on this deal. Why wasn't the dealer liable?

She said the bus "everything inside was like I remembered it" but how can that be it is all new? Then again she isn't into these buses like we are, "obsessed" Wink In as much as a fresh restoration of any vehicle is nice looking there is something about OG that I am so attracted to, that karma, or just the thought of each and every scratch in the paint or tear in the material, the history of every mark. Do some of you think like that wondering how each mark was made on your OG bus, car or bike of classic age?

I suppose we need to remember she has that Karma connection but sad for those who lost thousands. Crying or Very sad

Randall wrote:
In case you missed the party yesterday (Tues. Dec. 14) here's a video including some on-camera comments by Michelle Squires.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21134540/vp/40678120#40678120
She says, "... and we paid the guy in Germany some money, too, so he wouldn't feel left out, we hope."

The guy from Germany is Axel Hecker. I say there's likely a big difference between getting reimbursed for some money and all of the money he paid Donn Dabney, the classic car dealer from Sonoma. This is a "feel good, human interest story" but I doubt if Mr. Hecker feels as good about the outcome as Ms. Squires does. (And I was annoyed last week when I was charged $6.00 for a $5.00 Subway sandwich.) If I were in Mr. Hecker's shoes I would be bitching and fuming to everyone who would take the time to listen. I wonder what he thinks of American jurisprudence now.

www.mauiroadsters.com
http://www.oacdp.org
Lind wrote:
Have you considered simply starting with a nicer bus? I don't know what your skills are, but the race is easier if you can see the finish line. If you are not a runner, don't start off doing a marathon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Randall wrote:
In case you missed the party yesterday (Tues. Dec. 14) here's a video including some on-camera comments by Michelle Squires.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21134540/vp/40678120#40678120
She says, "... and we paid the guy in Germany some money, too, so he wouldn't feel left out, we hope."

The guy from Germany is Axel Hecker. I say there's likely a big difference between getting reimbursed for some money and all of the money he paid Donn Dabney, the classic car dealer from Sonoma. This is a "feel good, human interest story" but I doubt if Mr. Hecker feels as good about the outcome as Ms. Squires does. (And I was annoyed last week when I was charged $6.00 for a $5.00 Subway sandwich.) If I were in Mr. Hecker's shoes I would be bitching and fuming to everyone who would take the time to listen. I wonder what he thinks of American jurisprudence now.

It here nor there, she's not responsible for what happened to Hecker. Since it is handled by lawyers I doubt even she is responsible for any of the stuff that's happened since. Hecker can always go to civil court to get his money back from the dealer. I doubt this story is really over. it is probably making some overseas buyers skittish about importing cars from the US.
jennyt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mtb7001 wrote:
...so you stole the bike and now the Karma is killing you.

Time to get out and pedal around...nuff said. People say I ought to go after the thief, but the mods are satisfaction enough. The police wouldn't bother taking a report if they felt they couldn't get any $$$ from criminals committing petty crimes that don't any income/cashflow anyway.

Linda Grunthaner wrote:
...she aaid the bus "everything inside was like I remembered it" but how can that be it is all new. Then again she isn't into these buses like we are, "obsessed"

There's a curious lack of forum posting on the regional VW sites about the recent chapter of this story. Maybe I can relate a little to this...a few years ago I bought an old truck simply because it was a used
vehicle that was cheap and what I needed. It turns out it was spotted by enthusiasts who are obviously into these trucks & I remain quite clueless.

I'm finding that out that a lot of older VW's rolling around my neck of the woods are driven by folks who aren't into what they're driving...lots of them don't even have the Internet. That may explain why the weekly shopper's papers and the daily classifieds around here have more VW's for sale in them than any enthusiast's sites on-line. Barn finds? Indeed I'm sure.
Dave24
Samba Hack Purist

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jennyt wrote:

I'm finding that out that a lot of older VW's rolling around my neck of the woods are driven by folks who aren't into what they're driving...lots of them don't even have the Internet. That may explain why the weekly shopper's papers and the daily classifieds around here have more VW's for sale in them than any enthusiast's sites on-line. Barn finds? Indeed I'm sure.
I HIGHLY doubt that. Check the classifieds on THIS site, for example. Confused
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jennyt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should retract and clarify....I'd say that within 200 miles of my town, a fair amount of 1970's and older VW's are more likely to be sold in the weekly shoppers, the daily paper classifieds, posts on community billboards, mere "for sale" signs on the vehicle and other non-Internet methods. It's just that most every time I follow up on them, it turns out to be neglected junk some old codger is trying to sell before it dies.
Dave24
Samba Hack Purist

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That makes more sense... thanks. I was about to subscribe to your local paper. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GeorgeL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Braukuche wrote:
...it is probably making some overseas buyers skittish about importing cars from the US.

At least one good thing came of this mess. Cool
Randall
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jennyt wrote:
It's just that most every time I follow up on them, it turns out to be neglected junk some old codger is trying to sell before it dies.

Or before the old codger dies. Wink
///Mink
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, this thing ended up on Jalopnik today. So much ignorance in the commentary. I tried to deal with a few, but gave up.

http://jalopnik.com/5714601/stolen-vw-bus-returned--after-36-years
jennyt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scared me for a moment...I thought Mikey put the bus on Jalopnik's concourse auction lot. Scroll down into the commentaries--a couple links are clickable providing a little more edutainment, but still all of us are reading only the Reader's Digest version which is as far as anyone can go using desktop resources. So...unless 60 Minutes or Dateline sink into this when it's all said and done and all the PO's & players have their sayso (maybe a trip in the wayback machine uncovers the thief), it all comes down to the clear title in the end.
devesvws
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

after reading all this i'm not sure who's side i'm on Confused the kids sure look happy, that kinda made me smile.
THE FEW THE PROUD THE ORIGINAL VW WATERBOXER -> looking for a original 91 vanagon owners manual with 1991 on the cover http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmuiG2tUsP4&feature=share https://picasaweb.google.com/101290228103300323836/BostonBobFlywheelVideo#5543000332201103922
Randall
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a new article dated Dec. 20 from the Wall Street Journal by Miriam Jordan, who also covered the subject back in November 2009 when the story went national and international. (There's also a link to the old article within the link below.)

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703395204576023581783563822.html#articleTabs%3Darticle

After reading this I now feel that Michelle Squires didn't get something for nothing. As it says in the article, "Months passed. The van sat in a Copart.com warehouse in Rancho Cucamonga, Calif.

The parties finally reached a settlement that enabled Ms. Squires to get the bus back. Ms. Squires says she agreed with Copart and other parties not to disclose the terms of the deal, revealing only that she borrowed money from her boyfriend, Earl Roethle, to acquire it."

It all worked out good in the end. Nice guy, that Earl.
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.ketv.com/news/local-news/triumph-motorc...index.html

I missed this story back in November. I have reached out to the NICB agent involved to see if we can get any answers for the vintage car hobby about the possibility of any of our vehicles being stolen long ago.
campingbox Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
I have reached out to the NICB agent involved to see if we can get any answers for the vintage car hobby about the possibility of any of our vehicles being stolen long ago.

Wouldn't running the VIN # through the NICB database tell you if it was stolen?

https://www.nicb.org/theft_and_fraud_awareness/vincheck

I've been doing this for a while now. A few years ago I bought a '65 standard with no title that was listed as stolen and then recovered in the early '70'ies. I have a title for it now after the highway patrol inspected it.
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

campingbox wrote:
cdennisg wrote:
I have reached out to the NICB agent involved to see if we can get any answers for the vintage car hobby about the possibility of any of our vehicles being stolen long ago.

I've been doing this for a while now. A few years ago I bought a '65 standard with no title that was listed as stolen and then recovered in the early '70'ies. I have a title for it now after the highway patrol inspected it.

That is what I want to know. If the NICB database is what was used for the Spokane bus, if that is the final say for stolen vehicles, and how the hell it was possible that these decades old theft cases have been entered into a computer database this long after the fact.

I also would like to work with my state representative (an old car enthusiast) to change the rules in my state regarding the titling of old vehicles. If this database is accessible for the state DMV, it should be less hassle, and less of a liability for them, to get a title-less vehicle into legal ownership.
Malokin Martin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

campingbox wrote:
cdennisg wrote:

Someone mentioned earlier in this thread that the NCIB database in the link above only goes back 5 years. True?
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just received a return call from an agent with the NICB. We spoke for over a half hour about this process. There is so much information in my brain that I need some time to process it. I now have a better understanding of how this can happen.

He gave me a contact for the local agent, and I plan to speak with him soon.

The NICB database sees stolen vehicle reports as far back as five years, but they see purged vehicle reports back into the 1940's (as per my recent conversation) The clincher is that if the NICB sees a purged vehicle issue, they must contact the agency who filed the original report, and hope that the agency still has the theft report in their records. IF so, the investigation can proceed. But, if old reports have been destroyed by that agency, then there isn't much to be done. Many agencies destroy those old records to gain storage space and/or to save money.
Randall
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The prediction by pyrOman 4 years ago on this thread came true. Laughing
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=4266348&highlight=#4266348
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Randall wrote:
The prediction by pyrOman 4 years ago on this thread came true. Laughing
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=4266348&highlight=#4266348

I suppose I could have started a new thread.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 23, 24, 25  Next
Jump to:
Page 24 of 25

Jump to: