Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

trans shaft comes out with engine
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
John Cap
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:27 am    Post subject: trans shaft comes out with engine Reply with quote

Sad I restored most of my 73 thing body. It ran ok for a couple of months.
Last week it stopped going into gear with the clutch in. It did shift ok without clutch. Seemed to pull ahead when started in gear with clutch in. Pulled engine yesterday, could barely get it back far enough to clear trans. shaft.
Finally got it out. It the trans shaft moves back and forth about four inches.
when fully in it seems to engage. Pictures show a cerclip that possiby should prevent this? Do I need a new transmission or could this be repaired. Any sugestions on who to take it to? I live in Berkeley Ca.
thanks John Cap
tallman206
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I remember correctly, the input shaft of the transaxle has a threaded stud in its end, that screws axially into t he mainshaft of the gear assembly. Then a sliding coupler or gear is slid over the joint and held in place with a circlip to keep it from coming loose. Apparently the threaded stud is broken, and needs to be replaced. Side covers for the differential must be taken off to gain access to this area.

Jerry
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: