Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

How to make a progressive work properly on a VW engine.
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
AZ1320
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if I do the modification jet adjustments like stated in the being, will it lean my car out from its current state or fatten it up. currently it is running fat when I burp the throttle and it rolls a little black smoke. the way it reads it sounds like it will fatten up the fuel ration. am I wrong and I would take any advice I can get here.
1975 Kombi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm having trouble with my weber idling. It will start fine and run for 5 seconds and then slowly drop off unless I play with the throttle. Just looking for areas to check. jet size? initial carb setup? timing? Any ideas.

“He’s decieving you boy! Reach into his pocket and take what he’s got.” Mr. Crabbs.

75 Westy auto
03 Jetta TDI
71 SB
74 Westy
Licensed pilot (single engine land VFR)
--
Rust In Pieces: 72 Bug, 73 Bug, 81 Rabbit LS D 2D, 83 Rabbit D 2D, 84 Jetta TD GL, 85 Jetta D, 68 Z28 RS 302, 91 Passat 16v
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1975 Kombi wrote:
I'm having trouble with my weber idling. It will start fine and run for 5 seconds and then slowly drop off unless I play with the throttle. Just looking for areas to check. jet size? initial carb setup? timing? Any ideas.

A little more info would be helpful. At what ambients does this happen? Does it happen on a cold engine or a hot engine? Does the problem go away after the engine has been run for a few minutes? Have you checked that your choke is closed on cold start and is fully open once the engine has been running for a few minutes?
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what kind of engine is this? If it is in fact a 75 Type 2 with a type 4 engine you are a wasting our time and bandwidth, because you didn't even read the first post in THIS THREAD that says progressives won't work well on type 4 engines no matter what you do (because of intake volume and no preheat).

"Centermount Progressives NEED intake heat, and lots of it. This is why a progressive on a T4 WILL NOT WORK. It's so bad and unfixable, we do not even sell the kits that are available for the T4. It will not work, do not ask, because the answer is "get dual carbs". Nuff' Said. "

1975 Kombi wrote:

Please do NOT send me Private Messages through the Samba PM System (I will not see them). Send me an e-mail to john at aircooled dot net

"Like" our Facebook page at
http://www.facebook.com/vwpartsaircoolednet
and get a 5% off code for use on one order for VW Parts ON OUR PARTS STORE WEBSITE, vwparts.aircooled.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
1975 Kombi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I guess I was trying to find the less amount of does not work. lol.

“He’s decieving you boy! Reach into his pocket and take what he’s got.” Mr. Crabbs.

75 Westy auto
03 Jetta TDI
71 SB
74 Westy
Licensed pilot (single engine land VFR)
--
Rust In Pieces: 72 Bug, 73 Bug, 81 Rabbit LS D 2D, 83 Rabbit D 2D, 84 Jetta TD GL, 85 Jetta D, 68 Z28 RS 302, 91 Passat 16v
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cowboy Proverb: "There are 3 kinds of people in this World. The first learn by reading, and by observation. The second learn by listening to others, asking questions, and thinking. The third have to piss on the electric fence to figure it out themselves"

Please do NOT send me Private Messages through the Samba PM System (I will not see them). Send me an e-mail to john at aircooled dot net

and get a 5% off code for use on one order for VW Parts ON OUR PARTS STORE WEBSITE, vwparts.aircooled.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That electric fence sure does hurt.

Everyone is gifted. Some just do not open the package.

Looks like it was painted with a live chicken,polished with a brick and buffed with a pine cone
Natemeins
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This has indeed been a very interesting thread to read. I apologize in advance if this has been answered, I'm currently on page 9 and I am anxious to continue reading but I had to get this out.
So I took the advice of John and while I had my '68 bus engine out (brand new aluminum case, 1641 DP, Scat balanced 69mm crank, Engle 110 cam, stock heads, deep sump, HO oil pump with remote oil filter, Weber 32/36 with Empi (i know) intake WITH heat runners, Empi "performance" single output exhaust with riser fittings at #2 and #4, Pertronix SVDA dizzy, approx 3,000 miles since build) I tore down my carb. I should say prior to me removing the engine (fixing/inspecting a persistent small oil leak around pulley, among other minor things) the engine runs (to me, anyway) fine. No obvious flat spots, decent power (for a bus?), regularly pull a smallish bass/aluminum boat with no issues, and once I found the vacuum leak it ran even better. It has been running at approx 30-31deg BTDC with no detonation noise that I can hear. First starting out my plugs were quite black. Fixing the leak, resetting advance (from 28-30), and adjusting the carb, the insulators are now quite white. I would venture it's running a little too lean. I installed the carb right from the box, set it up as instructed, and appeared to run just fine. Upon teardown I find SEVERAL fasteners loose, the typical "factory" jetting, and the autochoke (the apparatus that's attached to the electric choke actuator) stop screw LOOSE in the chamber, and the outer plug screw missing! On top of all this, I found lots of black crud in the bowl (I run two fuel filters, one before electric fuel pump, the other after regulator), and found lots of metal shavings at the fuel screen (which was virtually crushed, by the way)! Honestly, I can't believe the engine was running so well, or so I think. Should also mention my mixture screw setting was 3/4-7/8 turn out and idle speed screw at 2 turns. Anyway, I'm cleaning it all up and putting it together correctly with John's tuning advice close to heart. He's set me up in the past with dual Kadrons I had for my Ghia several years ago and that car ran like a stuck pig!! I have just a couple questions for you, John; or whomever has the proper answers.
1: Where can I find information on how to properly set this stop screw for the "autochoke" diaphragm, and can I easily find a replacement cap screw or will/can I use a properly threaded screw with some sealer to cover the access hole? While we're talking about adjusting items that aren't generally adjusted or discussed for that matter, how about the secondary idle speed screw? Where should this screw be adjusted to? It seems this location would have significance to the idle circuit (I can see the idle orifices right at the butterfly plate).
2: John, the one thing I've noticed in all this discussion, is no talk of different engine builds. Does your setup work well for a complete stocker 60hp 1600DP all the way up to, say a 120hp 1836 streeter? Are we to assume your settings are just a VERY close starting point? Just interesting to me, like I said that's the only thing I've not seen discussed or even asked if it made a difference.
I'm anxious and excited to put my carb back together with the proper settings (and I promise I'm changing the intake, honest!) and see if I notice more power, efficiency (I'm currently getting approx 19mpg in the bus), and drivability. As I said before, it felt like it was running pretty well, until I recently pulled the plugs and they read overly lean. Thanks fellas (and ladies) for your help, advice, and guidance.
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate2-10108.png]Click to view image[/URL]
titus116
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.redlineweber.com/html/Tech/carburetor_set_up_and_lean_best_.htm

I printed out this page and keep it in my tool box.

The big beef I have with the progressive is that the linkage restricts the throttle from opening the 2nd barrel all the way. I've been satisfied with it either way. It is just time consuming getting it set when you have to pull it and change the jets on it.
Has anyone tried putting a holley 350 carb on the weber 32/36 intake?
snowbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 7:48 am    Post subject: adjustment Reply with quote

titus116 wrote:
After I followed your setup directions several years ago, I fell in love with my progressive carb! However, the big hangup for me is the placement of the adjustment screws. I eventually had to get a dinky scredriver wrench to adjust the screw in the back of the carb. I wished someone could make a linkage system that would work if the carb was turned around for easy access to the mixture screws.
John, you are the zen master of the progresseives!
Here is a tip from an old geezer . What we did in the 70s is solder a small washer to the idle screw head slot. Easy to adjust with your fingers at least with my skinny fingers. Jim

Last edited by snowbug on Sun Aug 24, 2014 2:30 pm; edited 2 times in total
mikedjames
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made this linkage for my progressive.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

This gives a 10 percent increase in movement of the throttle relative to the cable. The cable also runs straight

I also have a 10mm nut soldered to the idle screw adjustment on mine then I can use a stubby ring spanner to set idle.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
snowbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 1:01 pm    Post subject: Big Bore 36/36 progressive Reply with quote

Has anyone tried to bore out the primary on one of these carbs.It Would be nice to have a 34/36 or 36/36mm. I wonder how much metal is in there to bore out. Any body have a scrap carb I could experiment with? Jim
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no point making throttle larger than 1.33 times venturi size

No point making the venturi larger than 1.22 times the runner size
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 5:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Big Bore 36/36 progressive Reply with quote

snowbug wrote:
Has anyone tried to bore out the primary on one of these carbs.It Would be nice to have a 34/36 or 36/36mm. I wonder how much metal is in there to bore out. Any body have a scrap carb I could experiment with? Jim

Why not start with a DGV 38 and redesign the linkage to make it progressive?
snowbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 6:40 am    Post subject: Bla Reply with quote

Well I am almost ready to chuck this carb into the scrap bin. My brother ran this real Weber carb on a 1850 for years with no conplaints. Here is what I have now 1776, 100 cam , 041 heads hemi cut dual springs. Header. SV dist. Intake is not the good one but new heat risers are connected. No hot air. I rebuilt the carb. It runs good almost like a stock carb on the first barrel. When I open it up , it goes bla, just flat sometimes back fires. Its like the power valve is not opening. Did the same thing before rebuild. Here is the specs in the carb; idle prime .50 second .60 , mains 140P 195S , air 180P 160S air jets are like that to lean the main a bit and richen the second. Switched fuel pumps too. The air ways and ports seem clear. Secondary is just not getting gas. what the frig? Jim
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 7:57 am    Post subject: Re: Bla Reply with quote

swap your air jets, the bigger one needs to be on the secondary to bring it in earlier. What ignition timing? Semi Hemi runs like a pig (my opinion), ESPECIALLY with low compressoin, and needs more timing. Like 12 at idle and 36-38 total.

snowbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 11:54 am    Post subject: Re: Bla Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
swap your air jets, the bigger one needs to be on the secondary to bring it in earlier. What ignition timing? Semi Hemi runs like a pig (my opinion), ESPECIALLY with low compressoin, and needs more timing. Like 12 at idle and 36-38 total.
I tried air jets different ways , not much difference. Berg says semi hemi is the only way to make the engine last. I can get it up to 220* going up a long grade. My timing is about 10* static. Runs fine on primmery. Is there a way to disable the power valve or have it open all the time? Will it run? I have also changed fuel pump because the first pump had too much residual pressure which washed out the engine after shut down. My fuel preasure test gauge is toast after loaning it to my cousin. I did not take the secondary air horn out yet to have a look for dirt. thanks Jim
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 12:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Bla Reply with quote

So what is your experience with Semi Hemi?

I'd remove the secondary emulsion tube and jets, and make sure they are clear.

mikedjames
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Bla Reply with quote

snowbug wrote:
[email protected] wrote:
I tried air jets different ways , not much difference. Berg says semi hemi is the only way to make the engine last. I can get it up to 220* going up a long grade. My timing is about 10* static. Runs fine on primmery. Is there a way to disable the power valve or have it open all the time? Will it run? I have also changed fuel pump because the first pump had too much residual pressure which washed out the engine after shut down. My fuel preasure test gauge is toast after loaning it to my cousin. I did not take the secondary air horn out yet to have a look for dirt. thanks Jim

Also look to the idle jets - my 1641 is jetted 45 on the primary (I have preheated air) and 80 on the secondary because with the 50/60 jetting the wideband AFR shows a flash of very lean running as the second barrel opens. The larger idle jet at least gives the second barrel something to begin with when it opens.

Just for completeness I checked the remainder of the jetting. It has 125 primary main 150 secondary main and 160 primary air 180 secondary air. At WOT 4500 rpm at about 75mph this maybe a little rich

And with my bus I would panic at 250 degrees, and could maintain 230 degrees on a flat road at 67mph.

Last edited by mikedjames on Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:24 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
snowbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 2:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Bla Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
So what is your experience with Semi Hemi?

I'd remove the secondary emulsion tube and jets, and make sure they are clear.
John I am only riding on Berg`s shirt tails with his experience. I do believe he has tried many things on bugs over the years. In over 40 years I have done lots to VWs too , I am still learning. I had a 1641 with stock heads and it did not take much to make it ping. Hemi 041s were on my 2 liter , up graded to hemi 044s . Put the 041s on the 1835. It pulled the head studs (Over heated I guess) so I rebuilt it to 1776 and put the progressive on. Jets are all clean. The secondary air horn was in backwards. Just got back from a test run. Now it goes WAAAAA! You can really feel it kick in now. thanks Jim
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
Jump to:
Page 12 of 16

Jump to: