Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

door window trim removal
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
hellthorne
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 12:37 pm    Post subject: door window trim removal Reply with quote

Please forgive me if this is covered somewhere in the forum. I tried searching but could not find exactly what I am looking for.

Basically, I need to figure out how to remove the chrome/aluminum/metal trim around the two piece windows on the doors of my 73 Super. I have seen posts on getting the vent window out, and some about removing the scrapers, but I haven't seen anything about removing the metal trim. I am going to be painting the doors and I don't want to just mask off the trim if I can help it.

Does anyone know how to get the trim out? Does it involve removing the vent window entirely and removing the main window glass?

Any help/advice greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

2005 Jetta Mk V
1973 Super Beetle
69vduber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The trim is part of the outer scrapers .
look here .
http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=113853321dgr

http://www.5min.com/Video/How-to-Restore-a-Window-Scraper-in-the-Classic-VW-Beetle-Bug-145678318
traderpats
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, all one piece. With the vent window out and the door window detached you will see the scraper and trim piece is only held in by clips along the bottom and one screw on the top at the very end. I think that screw may be covered by the vent or top window guide channel.

Anyways pop loose the clips, take out the screw and it will all come out. IF you plan on reinstalling the same piece you may want to get some extra clips first. Often times they're rusted too much to be reused. Same goes for the felt channels for the window. There are a few good videos on You Tube of the process that would be good to view.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: