Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Westy formica
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Birdmanhere
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 9:20 pm    Post subject: Westy formica Reply with quote

quick question,
Is the SO42 west formica the same color and pattern as the early bay westy formice?
Just need to do a little repair on a door and can get a hold of some early bay stuff...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You mean cabinet door? Should be the same as replacement panels are scarfed off those bay ones all the time. The tops of the spice rack and the reefer did a change once.
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 11:52 am    Post subject: Re: westy formica Reply with quote

Birdmanhere wrote:
quick question,
Is the SO42 west formica the same color and pattern as the early bay westy formice?
Just need to do a little repair on a door and can get a hold of some early bay stuff...

The pattern is exactly the same as the early bays.

There were several shades used in early bays... sometimes more than one in the same cabinet esp the long closet.
Generally the split laminate is somewhat lighter/orangier than the bays. Bay laminates are a bit darker/redder.
But the bottom line is that is it is not very different and people will only notice if they know what to look for and bother to look for it. It won't jump out at anyone.

Go for it.
Birdmanhere
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cool, thanks guys!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sethm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is anybody got a source for NEW replacement laminate?

Seen this website but no laminate link that I can see.
http://www.so-42.com/

This is a link I'm sure many of you know that looks to me to re-use old laminate.
http://home.comcast.net/~sunrisebus/cabinets.html

I'm just looking to make my own fridge/sink stand down the road and want it to look OG without paying the OG prices if one can even be found for a walkthrough
Major Woody
Samba Enigma

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was a time when I was toying with the idea of making reproduction Westy parts--either stuff they made or things I think they "should have" made. Decided not to, because it would be costly and VW people are so notoriously cheap. In my research into materials, I looked all over the world at laminate manufacturers.

Closest match that I have been able to locate here in the good old U S of A is Nevamar Grand Isle Maple, satin finish. You can order it in very thin HGP gauge, which is used for postformed countertops, wall panels and furniture. The stuff Westfalia used was also very thin compared to the standard 1/16" gauge that you would normally install on a kitchen countertop. HGP is just a little over half as thick as the standard 1/16" grade. I'm not saying that standard thickness wouldn't work, but it might cause the edge to show a bit past the T-molding because of the greater thickness. Plus HGP is cheaper.

It is a pretty close match but I would not recommend putting it side by side with the original. I think you would be able to tell.

Here is a chip from Nevamar's site. I have compared a large piece of it with a large piece of unfaded laminate, and I feel that it looks good.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Kommercial
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep an eye out for the direction that the laminate grain runs as well. I bought a headbanger door and the grain was running 90 degrees off of what my cabinet had. I don't know if all bay's are like that or not.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
campingbox Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kommercial wrote:
Keep an eye out for the direction that the laminate grain runs as well. I bought a headbanger door and the grain was running 90 degrees off of what my cabinet had. I don't know if all bay's are like that or not.

The Dormobile we had had a headbanger with grain running one direction and we replaced it with a '67 headbanger and the grain was running the other direction. I'm not sure if it was a year thing or if they just didn't worry about it when making them.
Kommercial
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah mine was a 67 as well.. it had vertical grain and the door had horizontal.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sethm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Major Woody wrote:
There was a time when I was toying with the idea of making reproduction Westy parts--either stuff they made or things I think they "should have" made. Decided not to, because it would be costly and VW people are so notoriously cheap. In my research into materials, I looked all over the world at laminate manufacturers.

Closest match that I have been able to locate here in the good old U S of A is Nevamar Grand Isle Maple, satin finish. You can order it in very thin HGP gauge, which is used for postformed countertops, wall panels and furniture. The stuff Westfalia used was also very thin compared to the standard 1/16" gauge that you would normally install on a kitchen countertop. HGP is just a little over half as thick as the standard 1/16" grade. I'm not saying that standard thickness wouldn't work, but it might cause the edge to show a bit past the T-molding because of the greater thickness. Plus HGP is cheaper.

It is a pretty close match but I would not recommend putting it side by side with the original. I think you would be able to tell.

Here is a chip from Nevamar's site. I have compared a large piece of it with a large piece of unfaded laminate, and I feel that it looks good.

Thanks, Great info to know.
Birdmanhere
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn, I looked into the Nevamar here (Canada), and satin finish is a special order item, and a minimum order of 10, 4x8 sheets at about $80 a sheet, they have the textured finish in stock for $75 a sheet, too bad.
Major Woody
Samba Enigma

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Birdmanhere wrote:
Damn, I looked into the Nevamar here (Canada), and satin finish is a special order item, and a minimum order of 10, 4x8 sheets at about $80 a sheet, they have the textured finish in stock for $75 a sheet, too bad.

Take off, eh!

Birdmanhere
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Major Woody wrote:
Birdmanhere wrote:

Take off, eh!

Hoser

lol
Major Woody
Samba Enigma

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beauty eh! $80 CDN a sheet...that's like $1.85 USD, right? What are you complaining about?
sethm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Major Woody wrote:
Beauty eh! $80 CDN a sheet...that's like $1.85 USD, right? What are you complaining about?

I only wish. I would have snagged that red, early flipseat that was up for sale for months for 15k CDN.
j.pickens
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Major Woody wrote:
Decided not to, because it would be costly and VW people are so notoriously cheap.

Truer words were never spoke.

i wish more people would actually drive their vws rather than just talking about what they have in the garage.

Red Fau Veh wrote:
If you've seen one sunroof swivel seat kombi, you've seen them all! Cool
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

j.pickens wrote:
Major Woody wrote:
Decided not to, because it would be costly and VW people are so notoriously cheap.

Truer words were never spoke.

I do bet you that if MW did make them it would be top notch like Thom's hitches.
Major Woody
Samba Enigma

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's my motto: "Top Quality but Never Finished"
grailoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sethm wrote:
Major Woody wrote:

I only wish. I would have snagged that red, early flipseat that was up for sale for months for 15k CDN.

75 - 80 CDN price range for formica is a normal price, even more when it is price for special order.
I have bought limba wood veneer sheets, 4x8 size, and I know what expensive means Smile

also guys, if you are looking for 1/16" plywood supports, whatever the dimension, just let me know, I deal with a company here who build sheets with customized size.
they can provide high quality cut birch.
I will receive a sample within 2 weeks and take some pics if required.
My oldspeed 36hp autotechnik express build: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=670827
My garage build: http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=199438
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Birdmanhere
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

grailoc wrote:
sethm wrote:
Major Woody wrote:

75 - 80 CDN price range for formica is a normal price, even more when it is price for special order.

Yeah $80 isn't the problem, it that fact that I have to buy 10 sheets at $80, even though I only need 1. I don't really have the need for $800 worth of formica at the moment!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: