Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Getting my 1600 to a 1776.. What parts to use?
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vwoki
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 12:26 pm    Post subject: Getting my 1600 to a 1776.. What parts to use? Reply with quote

I have a 58 beetle and have a 1600 motor im getting rebuilt and changed over to a 1776.. The guy wants to know what I want but to be honest I have no idea what I want. He was talking stock and he was talking c/w crankshaft and big valve heads and blablabla.. I want some more power then the 1600 gave me but want reliability and somthing good to cruise in and maybe here and there mash down on the pedal. What is the "best build for my situation" what crank,heads, flywheel, etc... Im going to run dual webber 40's with my 019.. Any ideas?
Das Dragon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first answer you will get is a question: "What's your budget"?

With *****, "Bullshit Happens"!
DarthWeber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, vwoki..........What's yer budget?
Swapped the Compufire for a Bosch blue and some points I had sitting around, started 1st crank. Took her out for a drive, pulls harder, more RPM, and runs smoother. I think I'll be sticking with points from now on.

RockCrusher wrote:
JB weld the case halves....that'll keep the fretting to a minimum. Laughing
vwoki
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

3k ish.....
krusher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the guy doing the rebuild has any idea what he is doing, he should be talking to through what the possibility's are for your budget. Not asking you to spec the engine he is building.
(06:31:07) RoachGhia: "i drink dick way too fast"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Getting my 1600 to a 1776.. What parts to use???? Reply with quote

first, give us the answers to the questions posed at the beginning of

http://aircooled.net/gnrlsite/resource/articles/t1hpeng.htm

Please do NOT send me Private Messages through the Samba PM System (I will not see them). Send me an e-mail to john at aircooled dot net

"Like" our Facebook page at
http://www.facebook.com/vwpartsaircoolednet
and get a 5% off code for use on one order for VW Parts ON OUR PARTS STORE WEBSITE, vwparts.aircooled.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwoki
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok... Im looking to spend around 3k .. I plan to drive it to and from work sometimes and on the weekends to cruise around town. I will be driving it on the highway and the streets also like to take long cruises with my club. I want reliability and dependibilty somthing start the key and go nothing I have to tinker with all the time. I only want to build this once so i want it done right the first time so I dont have to do this again anytime soon. I live in Oklahoma so we have HOT summers and cool winters.I dont want a gas hogg but im not expecting anything GREAT. I want power somthing I can get up and go in and not be lagging around in on the the highway or in traffic.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: